USEFUL INFO ON NAT'L WX SERVICE WEBSITE

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

USEFUL INFO ON NAT'L WX SERVICE WEBSITE

Postby Paul26 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:54 am

For years I have looked at the NWS website for info. I generally have looked at the forecast only.

I just realized that there is an even more useful feature for duck hunters: a chart at the bottom of the page that forecasts wind direction and speed (and other selections if you wish) by the hour, and not just for a day. This may be very useful in the age-old duck hunter's dilemma: "when do I pick up the decoys and head back across the Sound/River/Bay to the ramp?"

Below is a link. This is a spot in Pamilco Sound I picked randomly (just south of Swan Quarter). I do not hunt there and haven't a clue if there is a bird within a hundred miles of this location. On the website you can put the cursor anywhere in the country and get a similar forecast. Note: if you put the cursor over water you get wind dir/speed in the forecast; if you put the cursor over land you get high/low temps. But you can make the chart show a variety of other things.

A picture of the chart is attached. It is helpful of you know how to read the wind direction characters (easily understood if you see the accompanying forecast)

http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php? ... =graphical
Last edited by Paul26 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul26
hunter

Re: USEFUL INFO ON NAT'L WX SERVICE WEBSITE

Postby grizz18 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 am

Good info and thanks for the share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby DOT3 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:17 pm

I believe their site lets you look up past weather as well, which I've found useful for establishing the weather during past days when my memory fails me. It's especially useful when viewing trail cam photos of deer.
DOT3
hunter

Postby visco » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:10 am

Most of these sites all pull from the same location (NOAA). I deal heavily with weather in my job, and if you like an interactive site that you can be quickly manipulate to what you need, this site is one of the best I have used. Yes it also pulls from NOAA.

https://www.ventusky.com/

Good luck out there tomorrow.
visco
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting