Dec 16 Opener

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Dec 16 Opener

Postby valeflyfish47 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Where are All the Ducks!
Well today wasn't as good as we had hoped. Launched at John's River GL boat ramp. Got there about 5, 4 boats already gone.
Damn the ramp was slick n icy going in and coming back out.
All the small spots were iced over.
Our group had 2 mallards come in at FL, got the hen, then nothing but cold. Then there was some shooting up river of us that stirred up a group of 15 that came over us but way to high. That was it the rest of morning. Cruised down Lake Rhodhiss, not a bird to be seen.
We got back to the boat ramp, and after slipping, sliding, spinning tires to get boat out, we were done, cold frozen feet.
We were rigging boat, chatting with another hunter, when low and behold, a wood duck swims by the boat ramp, i think it was teasing us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
valeflyfish47
hunter

Re: Dec 16 Opener

Postby visco » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:29 am

Not sure about the big ducks... but I found were the geese are. to bad I was not expecting them and did not bring the right gear. we were targeting woodies and only brought #2 with us. ended the day with 2 bufflehead each, and as many mergansers as I could stand to clean. Did not see any woodies :no: not sure why as I have been seeing them in this spot for the last couple of weeks. As long as Saturday morning was not a fluke... I will be ready for those big guys tomorrow :beer:

good luck out there
visco
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:28 am

visco wrote:Not sure about the big ducks... but I found were the geese are. to bad I was not expecting them and did not bring the right gear. we were targeting woodies and only brought #2 with us. ended the day with 2 bufflehead each, and as many mergansers as I could stand to clean. Did not see any woodies :no: not sure why as I have been seeing them in this spot for the last couple of weeks. As long as Saturday morning was not a fluke... I will be ready for those big guys tomorrow :beer:

good luck out there

What is wrong with #2 shot for geese? certainly not an expert but I thought that is what most hunters use for them.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 pm

In South Carolina you got to have ttwos or bigger and I prefer bigger
Red Huck
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Red Huck wrote:In South Carolina you got to have ttwos or bigger and I prefer bigger

That’s a law?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby CatFan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:
visco wrote:Not sure about the big ducks... but I found were the geese are. to bad I was not expecting them and did not bring the right gear. we were targeting woodies and only brought #2 with us. ended the day with 2 bufflehead each, and as many mergansers as I could stand to clean. Did not see any woodies :no: not sure why as I have been seeing them in this spot for the last couple of weeks. As long as Saturday morning was not a fluke... I will be ready for those big guys tomorrow :beer:

good luck out there

What is wrong with #2 shot for geese? certainly not an expert but I thought that is what most hunters use for them.

If it was really close I would take the shot but I would prefer bigger shot for geese. I am assuming steel shot of course.
CatFan
hunter

Postby quackedout » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:03 pm

BB's for geese is pretty standard. I used to take both BB's and number 3's with me to the duck blind and when geese would be near or thought they might be coming in I would quickly try to switch out my 3's for my BB's. Got tired of that so now I just buy number 2's and shoot at geese and ducks with them. It seems to be a good compromise so far.
quackedout
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:59 pm

grizz18 wrote:
Red Huck wrote:In South Carolina you got to have ttwos or bigger and I prefer bigger

That’s a law?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.
Red Huck
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:11 pm

took # 2 heavy shot and black cloud to Kansas a couple of years ago. killed everything from Canada's to specks to snows with them . that is what every one was using.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Dec 16 Opener

Postby trigger22 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:07 pm

I shoot decoying geese and swans with 2’s. If I was pass shooting at further distances I’d bump up the shot size, but I consistently make clean kills over decoys with number 2’s
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:06 am

If you shoot them in the head like you're suppose to, you can kill them with most regular duck loads.

I shoot 3" 1-1/4 ounce #1 at everything because I don't always shoot like you're suppose to and it will kill anything, consistently.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby visco » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:24 am

damn... surprised yall did not catch all of my errors in that post... let me try this again now that I am awake.

I try to match my shot to the game I am hunting, and that morning I was specifically out targeting woodies. I always take #4s NOT #2s with me for small ducks... I normally have larger shot size with me, on the off chance I see bigger birds, but for some reason I left those at the house that day.

either way... I was not ready for what the day had in mind for me.
visco
hunter

Postby visco » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:29 am

ncbufflehead wrote:If you shoot them in the head like you're suppose to, you can kill them with most regular duck loads.

I shoot 3" 1-1/4 ounce #1 at everything because I don't always shoot like you're suppose to and it will kill anything, consistently.

Amen... Saturday has turned my way of thinking... from here on out, I believe my primary load is going to be #2 and will have some BB or BBB in my pocket ready in case I need them. I pulled out a box of BBB from my storage and put them in my ammo bag. this will not happen again.
visco
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting