Mattamuskeet

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Mattamuskeet

Postby jpcobb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:18 am

Anyone know what the water levels are like at Mattamuskeet regarding the permit blinds. Have a few permit hunts coming up and am unable to scout the area due to distance. Curious if anyone is having luck with the permit hunt as well.

Also are there bench seats in the blinds?

Thanks!
jpcobb
Newb

Re: Mattamuskeet

Postby grizz18 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Yes there are seats in the blinds. Not sure on the water level on the lake but riding around there this weekend everything looked to be pretty wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby easye » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:14 pm

When is your hunt
easye
hunter

Postby jpcobb » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:09 am

1st week in January and Middle of January. Looks like some rain is coming and hopefully the temperatures start to freeze up north.
jpcobb
Newb

Postby echoduck » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:51 am

Water level is fine. You dont want "high water" for a lake hunt. The permit blinds do not perform well and havent for many years. Its a nice trip if you are from west of 17 and just want to bird watch. Birds nocturnal feed in the corn impoundments and then fly back to the far corners of the lake and rest. They repeat this everyday. Cold weather does not benefit people hunting on the lake, cold weather benefits the guys who own/lease corn impoundments. How do you get "a few" permits? I havent been drawn in 17 years.
echoduck
hunter

Postby jpcobb » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:04 pm

echoduck wrote:Water level is fine. You dont want "high water" for a lake hunt. The permit blinds do not perform well and havent for many years. Its a nice trip if you are from west of 17 and just want to bird watch. Birds nocturnal feed in the corn impoundments and then fly back to the far corners of the lake and rest. They repeat this everyday. Cold weather does not benefit people hunting on the lake, cold weather benefits the guys who own/lease corn impoundments. How do you get "a few" permits? I havent been drawn in 17 years.

Thanks for the info. Just checking due to the fact that the lakes and most water around me in the Raleigh area is deemed to be in a pretty bad drought. Jordan and Harris are way down, and I have seen arial photos on google maps ect. of mattamuskeet really low where the blinds are basically surrounded by mud. So just checking to see what the current conditions are. Luckily this is my first year putting in, and I drew. My 2 family members who will be accompanying myself also put in and 1 of them drew another weeked (first time). We average on a really good day seeing about 60-70 birds around our area and our spots, so I would have to assume we will see more action at Mattamuskeet correct?
jpcobb
Newb

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:49 pm

jpcobb wrote:
echoduck wrote:Water level is fine. You dont want "high water" for a lake hunt. The permit blinds do not perform well and havent for many years. Its a nice trip if you are from west of 17 and just want to bird watch. Birds nocturnal feed in the corn impoundments and then fly back to the far corners of the lake and rest. They repeat this everyday. Cold weather does not benefit people hunting on the lake, cold weather benefits the guys who own/lease corn impoundments. How do you get "a few" permits? I havent been drawn in 17 years.

Thanks for the info. Just checking due to the fact that the lakes and most water around me in the Raleigh area is deemed to be in a pretty bad drought. Jordan and Harris are way down, and I have seen arial photos on google maps ect. of mattamuskeet really low where the blinds are basically surrounded by mud. So just checking to see what the current conditions are. Luckily this is my first year putting in, and I drew. My 2 family members who will be accompanying myself also put in and 1 of them drew another weeked (first time). We average on a really good day seeing about 60-70 birds around our area and our spots, so I would have to assume we will see more action at Mattamuskeet correct?
You will see a hell of a lot more than 60 or 70 but you'll be lucky to shoot a couple coots.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby echoduck » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:13 pm

You will see plenty. Good food at Martelles. But seeing and killing as you know are far different. Birds are in hyde now but are in a noctural pattern so it has been difficult. Unless we get some nasty weather this pattern will not break anytime soon. Dont bring alot of decoys you will end up exhausted. Watch where you step.
echoduck
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:40 am

A small boat, canoe or sleds would help as well. Get there. The night before and sit at the front entrance... pure magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby CatFan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm in the Raleigh area too and yeah, that water is crazy low. Harris is not down due to drought though. They drew it down to improve one of the ramps. I'm not seeing 60 birds a day here in the impoundments I'm hunting so I need to follow you in some day. LOL, just kidding.

We drew a permit at 'Skeet last year and it was very disappointing. We had blind 16 the first day, the farthest from the check-in. They spent so much time reading us every waterfowl regulation ever written (so some moron can't claim "I didn't know" I guess) that by the time we got to our blind it was pretty much LST. We had to slog through some of the worst knee deep mud I've ever been in for a couple hundred yards to get to the blind. A jet sled would have been great but there was not enough water for any sort of kayak or canoe. Dealing with decoys was a pain as if you stood anywhere longer than a few seconds you would sink to your knees in mud. We tried putting them out but the only birds we had in range where right at LST for a few minutes. If you get there late like that I'd forget the decoys and just get in the blind. We saw thousands of birds flying up and down the middle of the lake but none came anywhere near the blind. We also heard very little shooting from other blinds.

We talked to the guys that hunted the blind we had for the second day and they didn't do any better than we did so we just came home and didn't bother to hunt day 2. I honestly hope you guys do well and have fun but personally I have no desire to go back. I'd rather hunt mallards and woodies in flooded timber anyway. :)
CatFan
hunter

Postby echoduck » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:43 pm

That briefing is because the west of 17 people do stupid stuff like shoot Canada geese without permits, harvest a dozen Ibis because they think they are long beaked snow geese, shoot Swans thinking they are a giant species of snow geese etc... Its kind of like the warning about changing fan belts while the engine is running. Someone has done it so they have to address it.
echoduck
hunter

Postby lunkerrama » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Hunted Skeet yesterday and today. Lots of birds in the no hunting area. Saw lots on Monday, shot Wigeon and Gadwall, missed on some teal.

Had blind 8 today and have been excited for months, and unfortunately didnt pull the trigger today. Nothing in range but a few grebe.

Over the years the water has been high when Ive been there, but not the case now. Many of the paths to blinds 10-16 are a muddy mess without enough water to float in. We didnt use the kayak at all, could get birds and decoys without going over waist.

TONS of birds at the entrance, most pintails Ive ever seen, wigeon, shovelers, gadwall, ring necks, blue wing teal, coots everywhere, hardly any mallards. Saw a redhead or two. Could have shot a brant, or a swan depending on the blind.

Best part was on Monday someone was surveying for bird count in a water landing plane, and buzzed the impediments causing a tornado of birds. Tuesday all the birds were not using the lake.
lunkerrama
hunter

Postby CatFan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:18 am

echoduck wrote:That briefing is because the west of 17 people do stupid stuff like shoot Canada geese without permits, harvest a dozen Ibis because they think they are long beaked snow geese, shoot Swans thinking they are a giant species of snow geese etc... Its kind of like the warning about changing fan belts while the engine is running. Someone has done it so they have to address it.

Right because no one from east of 17 ever does anything stupid. Uh huh. Hand everyone the regulations, tell them they are adults and then treat them as such.
CatFan
hunter

Postby echoduck » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:28 am

The east of 17 folks are not above reproach, they just bait, shoot over the limit, etc... Usually not bird identification violations. The previous refuge manager has hunted at our club a few times. He has plenty of stories.
echoduck
hunter

Postby jpcobb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. Headed there tomorrow for my first permit hunt to do some scouting and get a good look of the place.
jpcobb
Newb

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:25 pm

jpcobb wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. Headed there tomorrow for my first permit hunt to do some scouting and get a good look of the place.

I hope you have fun and enjoy it for what it is. I too am jealous, I have put in for years and have never been drawn.
Please give us a report.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby jpcobb » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Definitely a great experience. The ducks are there, obviously saw a ton in the impoundments, and saw about 200-300 in the blind. The problem is there is 6 inches of solid ice all throught the hunting area around the blinds. Couldn't even throw out a decoy. If you have a hunt coming up bring a sledgehammer!
jpcobb
Newb

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting