THIS SATURDAY WILL DECIDE THE REST OF THE SEASON

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

THIS SATURDAY WILL DECIDE THE REST OF THE SEASON

Postby Paul26 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:02 pm

My mojo meter is pegging really low right now. Normally at this time of the year by Thursday my anticipation of the coming Saturday hunt has me amped up.

Based on what I have seen and shot at so far in Nov-Dec 2017, I am not sure I have the enthusiasm for a 0400 wake up call on Saturday morning.

If I do not see and shoot at some birds this Saturday, with this cold blast, I will think pretty seriously about putting the gun away until I am invited to Hyde County for the last weekend of the year.

We have not has a really good year since 2012. Damn.
Paul26
hunter

Re: THIS SATURDAY WILL DECIDE THE REST OF THE SEASON

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:27 pm

I'm right there with you. This season has beat anything that I have seen here in over 25 years. I've hardly been much this season so far because scouting trips have been a bust and we have not had any weather up till now. The only times I've seen any numbers was in early Oct and Nov opener and haven't heard of anyone killing any ducks anywhere that amount to much. I'm slowly letting go but still holding on to the past 10+ years ago when we actually had ducks. The new norm is gonna be season is only gonna be worth the last 2 weeks of Jan. As of now I'm looking forward to Feb so hopefully my kids will be able to get into some ducks.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby dpoutdoor » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:11 pm

I was feeling the same UNTIL today. Saw more ducks today than I’ve ever seen in NC at one time. Looking forward to the next 7-10 days. We put in a lot of miles on the truck/boat but it was worth it.
dpoutdoor
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:20 am

I've got a couple of buddies that have been running all over the state the last 2 days with little success or sightings while scouting. I haven't heard anything from this morning but I think its the same story.. .nothing to speak of. Besides the 1 good ringer and BB shoot there have been little to NO birds. We haven't even seen the high flocks of big ducks that are going to predetermined places in the mornings :huh:

I'll be leaving tonight to head up and meet with them to hunt tomorrow unless they are too discouraged after today... :censored:
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Jeffreysm21 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:37 am

Where are you guys hunting vaguely? I’m supposed to be hunting in corolla and then pintail point area the 10th and 11th but don’t want to waste my time and money if there are as few birds around as people say
Jeffreysm21
hunter

Postby SBE II » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Jeffreysm21 wrote:Where are you guys hunting vaguely? I’m supposed to be hunting in corolla and then pintail point area the 10th and 11th but don’t want to waste my time and money if there are as few birds around as people say

Dont waste your time, I've hunted an area near by the past 2 weeks and have shot and seen very little.
SBE II
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Jeffreysm21 wrote:Where are you guys hunting vaguely? I’m supposed to be hunting in corolla and then pintail point area the 10th and 11th but don’t want to waste my time and money if there are as few birds around as people say

Alot can change from now to then. Basically ducks have not shown up all season so hopefully they are still above and will come any day. They could have also possibly passed us by and south :huh:
Generally late season Jan is the best it gets around here so hopefully things are getting ready to happen. Talk to who you are hunting with a few days out in advance and hopefully they will be straight up with you.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:13 pm

I hunted Thursday and today. did not fire a shot at a duck. I am a member of a good club in Hyde, I can see the managed impoundments on the refuge from our blinds. In years past limits were the norm, I have yet to shoot at a duck in these impoundments. Expensive misery. In all fairness it has been taken over by swans. Yesterday afternoon I ran about 500 swans and about 200 canadas out.

At dark yesterday the ducks were as thick as Sept Hyde county mosquitoes in the impoundment next to us. left this morning before light. All morning today, with no ducks in the air near us I could see clouds of them in the managed impoundments (8&9). Talked with refuge manager yesterday, he said at last count there were about 250,000 waterfowl using Skeet. they just are not moving in the daylight.

also, we are seeing thousands of divers heading to the lake right at light. cnnot be much left on the sound in the daylight.

The big issue is the refuge is now claiming all the sub aquatic vegetation in the lake is dead. what are the swans, geese, and divers going to eat? Is duck hunting in coastal NC dying?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:23 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:The big issue is the refuge is now claiming all the sub aquatic vegetation in the lake is dead. what are the swans, geese, and divers going to eat?

Are they feeding them on the fed property?

Is duck hunting in coastal NC dying?

YES

EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:10 pm

You guys are mirroring what I’ve been shooting, hearing and seeing ... not much at all. And it’s now been going on about the last 4 seasons. I’m also beginning to wonder if this isn’t starting to become the new norm. I’ve racked my brain silly trying to figure out why the birds have all but stopped flying over our area. Something is going on ...
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:26 pm

Most of these guys are no where near where you are going to be hunting.

It's weather dependent in that area. Yesterday was good, today was alright, who knows what tomorrow or next week will be like. There's dang sure going to be frozen impoundments and the park service and refuge ponds, probably even some of the sound will likely freeze as well. Somebody is going to have good hunts in those areas between now and the end of the season.

Are you hunting with Vic?
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:48 pm

SBE II wrote:

Dont waste your time, I've hunted an area near by the past 2 weeks and have shot and seen very little.
You say in one post that your only option is walk-in hunts on public land, then on this post you're telling a guy not to waste his time and money because you hunted a area near by and didn't see or kill anything.

There's only one walk-in hunt in the area and it has pretty much sucked for years and it's probably never going to be that good again. We can be killing limits every day for a month on the sound and you may never see a duck in there.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Jeffreysm21 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:57 am

Hunting the Currituck sound with a fella named Graham Hunting further south with Jamie or one of his guys have hunted with him 4 or 5 times and have mostly done well with redheads, blackheads, pintail and widgeon— never hunted with Vic though but I know he hunts that area all around pintail pt or so I thought. We will most likely hunt the cat
Jeffreysm21
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Jeffreysm21 wrote:Hunting the Currituck sound with a fella named Graham Hunting further south with Jamie or one of his guys have hunted with him 4 or 5 times and have mostly done well with redheads, blackheads, pintail and widgeon— never hunted with Vic though but I know he hunts that area all around pintail pt or so I thought. We will most likely hunt the cat
Vic does hunt there. Jamie hunts Vics blinds as well. He is a good guy. You'd be crazy to not go based on the reports on here.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Jeffreysm21 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Definitely plan on going. Was just a little shocked at all the negative reports. Seems like most are coming from Hyde county. Anyhow, good luck to all.
Jeffreysm21
hunter

Postby black_duck » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Man, if we could just hunt Sunday’s too we wouldn’t have this problem
Psalms 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

The duck hunters bible verse
black_duck
hunter

Postby Gunpowder1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:35 pm

Screw Sundays !!

I drive almost all of the shoreline of both sides of the Currituck every day. Being a daily hunter, I have a great interest in waterfowl patterns. I stop and survey and scout along the entire route, daily. I can say that there are ducks here all the time of most species. Hunting is never a sure thing though. Waves of ducks come through that make for better days than others.I will also say that all of the Corolla guides work so crazy hard to give you the best hunt available every day. Most people leave with ducks even on a bad week and they have had a great trip doing it.
My prediction and personal hope is that over the next couple weeks we will have all the frozen northern ducks heading this way. Finally ! Depending on the weather then we will have a feel for what stays around> My gut tells me the dates you are talking about will be great.
Gunpowder1
Newb

Postby HydeMarsh » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:38 pm

black_duck wrote:Man, if we could just hunt Sunday’s too we wouldn’t have this problem

well said!!!!!
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Raging Woodie » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:43 am

This is my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth. There is an impoundment in NE NC around every corner, some hold birds some don't but either way there a ton of impoundments. Then there is pressure, and LOTS of it. Either on public water or private there is a TON of pressure. I've watched birds reverse their feeding behaviors. They will feed at night and roost and loaf all day, then come sunset fly in to feed all night. I've seen hunting pick up in other parts of NC and species of waterfowl show up in these areas that are rare to see in these particular areas. Waterfowl aren't as stupid as people think they are. Geese are more sensitive to pressure than ducks but ducks will only put up with it for so long before the effects of pressure gets to them. The main area in NC known for good waterfowl hunting get's pressured hard and where does every hunter in NC want to go hunt? So not only locals but out of towners head to one specific area increasing pressure. The last 2 years i've been killing more ducks in places that the hunting has always been "ok", on top of that i've been seeing and killing species of ducks that i've never killed in theses ares the 25+ years i've been hunting them. So is pressure an issue, i don't know but it's a thought. Just my 2 cents :beer:
"When blizzards and storm winds strike, other hunters curl up by the hearth. Waterfowlers go forth."
Raging Woodie
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting