This guy won't be runnning folks off public land for a while

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

This guy won't be runnning folks off public land for a while

Postby ncbufflehead » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Supposedly he caught two guys hunting his blind on public land/water and in a county that doesn't have blind laws. If most of what I've heard about this is true, he's lucky one of them didn't shoot him. Two counts of felony assault with deadly weapon with intent to kill plus numerous other charges.

http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/calenda ... bmit+Query
ncbufflehead
hunter

Re: This guy won't be runnning folks off public land for a w

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:49 am

Damn :no:
All over a stupid duck
Amazing
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby echoduck » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:19 am

Once he is convicted he can no longer possess a weapon and good luck gaining employment as a felon. Looks like he guides in Canada as well, forget getting into Canada as a convicted felon. His life is over, essentially over some birds. This is why duck hunters have a “bad name” with the hunting community and the public.
echoduck
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks for posting this. Should be a lesson to everyone.

Is he a guide?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby CatFan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:59 pm

I really do wonder what was going through his mind. Not media coverage that I could I find. This may have really screwed his life over for a long time to come but on the other hand he's lucky to be alive if he did actually make threats with a firearm to other armed individuals. That's a good way to get dead.
CatFan
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:46 pm

You won't see it on the news. His daddy will do as much as he can to try to make it go away and not be talked about by local media.

I don't know if he guides here but someone said his dad bought him a place in Canada to guide. They own Harbor Welding and OBX Marina.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:13 am

Damn....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby snc1100 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Just to be clear from the beginning, I have not heard the full story, nor am I in any way condoning what this guy did or saying in any way he is in the right, but the guys hunting a blind someone else built and maintains are not at zero fault either. This should be a lesson to all that walking up to a blind someone else built, weather on public land or not, is not cool. Further more if you don’t know who did build it you have no idea how they will react should they find you in it. Bottom line if you didn’t build it and or don’t have permission to hunt it, best policy is to leave it alone. I know State law says it becomes public property, but don’t be that guy that preys on and profits from a strangers hard work, money, and dedication. If you want to have a permanent hunting structure, build one or pay someone to build one, otherwise hunt from your boat or from the bank. Do unto others!
Does anyone have more info on the actual event?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snc1100
hunter

Postby CatFan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:56 pm

snc1100 wrote:Just to be clear from the beginning, I have not heard the full story, nor am I in any way condoning what this guy did or saying in any way he is in the right, but the guys hunting a blind someone else built and maintains are not at zero fault either. This should be a lesson to all that walking up to a blind someone else built, weather on public land or not, is not cool. Further more if you don’t know who did build it you have no idea how they will react should they find you in it. Bottom line if you didn’t build it and or don’t have permission to hunt it, best policy is to leave it alone. I know State law says it becomes public property, but don’t be that guy that preys on and profits from a strangers hard work, money, and dedication. If you want to have a permanent hunting structure, build one or pay someone to build one, otherwise hunt from your boat or from the bank. Do unto others!

Do unto others. Well, that also means that you should not build a permanent blind in a place where others might want to use it. It goes both ways. You're basically saying any blind is declared off limits if if the guy that built it was not going to be there that day.
Is that just like all the blind laws everyone complains about. Maybe the guys in the blind had been hunting that spot for years before the subject of this thread built a blind. Now that have to find something else? Like you said, we don't know even half the story so it is hard to say.

If I build a blind on public land I'd do so with the knowledge that someone else might use it. If I showed up and someone was it it, I'd be upset but not with them. Just bummed I lost my spot that day. If you know the rules and lose, don't blame the rules.
CatFan
hunter

Postby snc1100 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

CatFan wrote:
snc1100 wrote:Just to be clear from the beginning, I have not heard the full story, nor am I in any way condoning what this guy did or saying in any way he is in the right, but the guys hunting a blind someone else built and maintains are not at zero fault either. This should be a lesson to all that walking up to a blind someone else built, weather on public land or not, is not cool. Further more if you don’t know who did build it you have no idea how they will react should they find you in it. Bottom line if you didn’t build it and or don’t have permission to hunt it, best policy is to leave it alone. I know State law says it becomes public property, but don’t be that guy that preys on and profits from a strangers hard work, money, and dedication. If you want to have a permanent hunting structure, build one or pay someone to build one, otherwise hunt from your boat or from the bank. Do unto others!

Do unto others. Well, that also means that you should not build a permanent blind in a place where others might want to use it. It goes both ways. You're basically saying any blind is declared off limits if if the guy that built it was not going to be there that day.
Is that just like all the blind laws everyone complains about. Maybe the guys in the blind had been hunting that spot for years before the subject of this thread built a blind. Now that have to find something else? Like you said, we don't know even half the story so it is hard to say.

If I build a blind on public land I'd do so with the knowledge that someone else might use it. If I showed up and someone was it it, I'd be upset but not with them. Just bummed I lost my spot that day. If you know the rules and lose, don't blame the rules.

I’m not saying the location should be off limits but the BLIND should be. If you want to hunt a location and are prepared and equipped to do so, the existence of a permanent blind in said location should not change your approach to your hunt or hurt the success of your hunt. Hunt out of your boat or off of the bank as if the blind wasn’t there. I’ve hunted in several locations that had permanent blinds on them and haven’t felt the need to go sit in someone else’s blind. I have one time sat in a blind that was not maintained and hadn’t been in the 10 plus years it had been there when I was a much younger man but that certainly didn’t make it ok. I certainly wouldn’t do it again at this point in my life. At the time I didn’t know any better but that still doesn’t justify it. Once again, I’m not saying the guy was in the right for hurting someone else over a duck, but I am saying the whole thing may have been avoided had the hunters had stayed in their own boat.

But as was said a few times, we haven’t heard the whole story.

snc1100
hunter

Postby NCGWP » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:18 pm

snc1100 wrote:
CatFan wrote:

I’m not saying the location should be off limits but the BLIND should be. If you want to hunt a location and are prepared and equipped to do so, the existence of a permanent blind in said location should not change your approach to your hunt or hurt the success of your hunt. Hunt out of your boat or off of the bank as if the blind wasn’t there. I’ve hunted in several locations that had permanent blinds on them and haven’t felt the need to go sit in someone else’s blind. I have one time sat in a blind that was not maintained and hadn’t been in the 10 plus years it had been there when I was a much younger man but that certainly didn’t make it ok. I certainly wouldn’t do it again at this point in my life. At the time I didn’t know any better but that still doesn’t justify it. Once again, I’m not saying the guy was in the right for hurting someone else over a duck, but I am saying the whole thing may have been avoided had the hunters had stayed in their own boat.

But as was said a few times, we haven’t heard the whole story.

I do not see the difference, nor can I see how the situation would have been different, if someone setup their boat three feet in front of the blind.
NCGWP
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Sadly, I’d have to agree with that too. ^^ Maybe not at 200 yards tho ..
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:28 pm

Blind...check
Public land...check
ME inside of it...Anytime it's not occupied

First come first serve boss! Hence the word PUBLIC

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ncdrumchaser » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:51 pm

Stump, I really don’t think the results would be good. It,s‘attitude like yours that are shaping the face of new school duck hunting. I had a big laugh this morning watching all the paying hunters showing up early at my local ramp. Lol most folks here do not put over or leave the dock until 30 min. Before lst. Any way the offender in the original post probably won’t see duck hunting as he knew it except watching it on tv. A duck simply is not worth risking your life or threatening another’s. Happy last two weeks.
becuase you leave at 2 am to hunt ducks... makes me glad we have blind laws!
ncdrumchaser
hunter

Postby NCGWP » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 pm

ncdrumchaser wrote:Stump, I really don’t think the results would be good. It,s‘attitude like yours that are shaping the face of new school duck hunting. I had a big laugh this morning watching all the paying hunters showing up early at my local ramp. Lol most folks here do not put over or leave the dock until 30 min. Before lst. Any way the offender in the original post probably won’t see duck hunting as he knew it except watching it on tv. A duck simply is not worth risking your life or threatening another’s. Happy last two weeks.

So...why should you be allowed to dibs a spot on public water (in the absence of blind laws like you have in Currituck, etc...) in perpetuity?

I haven't been doing this that long, but I have been doing it long before Duck Dynasty came on, and I've talked to men a generation older than me that would sleep in their boats to get to a spot...
NCGWP
hunter

Postby CatFan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:39 pm

NCGWP wrote:
ncdrumchaser wrote:Stump, I really don’t think the results would be good. It,s‘attitude like yours that are shaping the face of new school duck hunting. I had a big laugh this morning watching all the paying hunters showing up early at my local ramp. Lol most folks here do not put over or leave the dock until 30 min. Before lst. Any way the offender in the original post probably won’t see duck hunting as he knew it except watching it on tv. A duck simply is not worth risking your life or threatening another’s. Happy last two weeks.

So...why should you be allowed to dibs a spot on public water (in the absence of blind laws like you have in Currituck, etc...) in perpetuity?

I haven't been doing this that long, but I have been doing it long before Duck Dynasty came on, and I've talked to men a generation older than me that would sleep in their boats to get to a spot...

Yeah, I agree that you can't claim a spot like that on public water. Perhaps those that disagree have a hold over perspective from a long lost time when there were plenty of spots for everyone and everyone had their own blind that they held hands and skipped to. You know, those good ole days every one talks about but no one experiences. LOL, sorry just busting some chops. I understand why someone would choose to not hunt a blind like this. Heck, I might not either but I won't fault someone who does. I know if I walk in on someone I find another place where I can't see their lights, unlike the two groups that walked in on me this morning. But hunting that blind is within the law and within the limits of fair chase.

And I too have been doing this long before Duck Dynasty, or any duck hunting show I can recall, was around. We used to draw for blind locations where you could build a blind. I was a kid so I don't recall the details but we had to put a placard up with our name and other details. Someone else could use it if we were not there but we could legal run them off. However, it never happened.
CatFan
hunter

Postby jdbdkhr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:55 pm

I am new to duck hunting, but I have hunted and fished all my life. Tutored by my grandfather, I was taught manners and respect of other people while in the outdoors. Most of our hunting was on private land but fishing on the lakes was of coarse a different story. He wouldn't go anywhere near another boat fishing even if it was a spot he wanted to fish. We would go somewhere else, then come back later after the other boat had gone. I have seen attitudes change over the years in this regard as well.

As far as hunting goes, I would not climb into someone else's blind as a matter of respect for their effort and money spent to build it. I would however, have no problem setting up 200 yards away if the blind wasn't occupied when I arrived at the spot. Does that sound reasonable to those of you here who build and hunt out of blinds on public waters?
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby merg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Building, maintaining and bushing blinds is a lot of work. Myself, and most folks who put in that much work are going to hunt the blind regularly. If I'm not there an hour before shooting time I don't care if you float hunt right in front of it. When I'm float hunting public I try to stay 1/4 mile from blinds because odds are that blind has been hunted in the last day or two, not to mention all season long. The spot is usually blown up already.
merg
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Oh wonderful, another public duck blind thread. It's like this.....any public water should belong to all of us, ANY public water. Blinds on public water are public property. That means they belong to all of us that want to use them. If I was hunting an area that held ducks and there was a blind in the sweet spot and it was legal for me to get in it, I wouldn't think a second about hunting it, I'd do it. Wouldn't care who thought what about it. If you don't like that, don't hunt public water. We have enough north Carolina 'public water' and 'blinds' that we can't hunt as it is and unrightfully so, we don't need any more. So those that are holier than though and look down on others for hunting a public blind that someone else built, just shut up. And regarding the comment to stumpjumper about "new school duck hunters attitudes" you have no idea who you're talking to so bite it off and relax.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Results turned out real good for ol’ boy in the original post, huh? A real badass...
Willie
hunter

Postby echoduck » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:42 pm

The guys were not in his blind or even a blind for that matter. Guys were scouting a spot where he had a blind. Heard story from a friend of one of the victims.
echoduck
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:53 pm

Duckmauler: I am laughing so hard right now it’s hard to type. Re: your signature block. “Ephesians 4:32——- Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” God Bless ‘Mercia, boys!

Re: the issue. I have 2 blinds I built on public water. In 10 years they have been occupied by people who beat me to them maybe 5 times. I have no issue with it as long as they don’t leave cigarette butts and garbage in them.

The point isn’t my or anyone else’s opinion as to being a sportsman. The point is that public isn’t public if a person can put a blind up on public trust waters and others can’t use that location.

And on a completely different subject: I turned down a hunt at a SWEET impoundment at M-Skeet tomorrow. Works sucks, and is greatly overestimated
Paul26
hunter

Postby CatFan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:49 pm

jdbdkhr wrote:

I am new to duck hunting, but I have hunted and fished all my life. Tutored by my grandfather, I was taught manners and respect of other people while in the outdoors. Most of our hunting was on private land but fishing on the lakes was of coarse a different story. He wouldn't go anywhere near another boat fishing even if it was a spot he wanted to fish. We would go somewhere else, then come back later after the other boat had gone. I have seen attitudes change over the years in this regard as well.

As far as hunting goes, I would not climb into someone else's blind as a matter of respect for their effort and money spent to build it. I would however, have no problem setting up 200 yards away if the blind wasn't occupied when I arrived at the spot. Does that sound reasonable to those of you here who build and hunt out of blinds on public waters?

In your fishing analogy you’d have to stay away from a spot you saw someone on forever because it’s ‘his’ spot. And as far as going back when they leave, do that in places like Kentucky Lake and they’ll call you the fishing equivalent of Jr Duck Commander. But only if they are being nice about it lol. Not saying it right, just that it happens.
CatFan
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Paul26 wrote:Duckmauler: I am laughing so hard right now it’s hard to type. Re: your signature block. “Ephesians 4:32——- Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” God Bless ‘Mercia, boys!

Re: the issue. I have 2 blinds I built on public water. In 10 years they have been occupied by people who beat me to them maybe 5 times. I have no issue with it as long as they don’t leave cigarette butts and garbage in them.

The point isn’t my or anyone else’s opinion as to being a sportsman. The point is that public isn’t public if a person can put a blind up on public trust waters and others can’t use that location.

And on a completely different subject: I turned down a hunt at a SWEET impoundment at M-Skeet tomorrow. Works sucks, and is greatly overestimated

Paul, you are not missing anything. I have never seen impoundment hunting around skeet so bad. all season the birds have been on a nocturnal pattern.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:42 pm

From individuals close to the situation, they were in their own boat and he jumped in their boat and started beating them.

The real answer to the dilemma is to not allow blinds on public trust water. No one should deny another access. First come first served. If you want a private spot then buy one.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting