This guy won't be runnning folks off public land for a while

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Re: This guy won't be runnning folks off public land for a w

Postby ncdrumchaser » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:41 am

Me personally... if I saw a blind on public waters i wouldn’t hunt it. Some on took the time to build and bush it. Just out of courtesy, I know better. Now I would have no problem hunting a float blind 500 yards from them. The last time I hunted Hyde publicly (hydland canal area). It was a zoo. When we came in we watched a fist fight between two hunters arguing over a spot, there were several others huddled around. No thank you! That was at least 7 years ago, I can’t imagine it now. I would have been really upset if my children were with me. Incidents like these are why we need blind laws! If we are left to our own devices, we can’t manage our selves.
becuase you leave at 2 am to hunt ducks... makes me glad we have blind laws!
ncdrumchaser
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:46 am

Paul26 wrote:Duckmauler: I am laughing so hard right now it’s hard to type. Re: your signature block. “Ephesians 4:32——- Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” God Bless ‘Mercia, boys!

Re: the issue. I have 2 blinds I built on public water. In 10 years they have been occupied by people who beat me to them maybe 5 times. I have no issue with it as long as they don’t leave cigarette butts and garbage in them.

The point isn’t my or anyone else’s opinion as to being a sportsman. The point is that public isn’t public if a person can put a blind up on public trust waters and others can’t use that location.

And on a completely different subject: I turned down a hunt at a SWEET impoundment at M-Skeet tomorrow. Works sucks, and is greatly overestimated

Idk what's so funny about it. I was just telling it like it is. I'm not the one out on public water jumping in other people's boats and beating them over the head. I have never once yelled at another Hunter/fisherman regardless of situation. I had a boat full of guys come within 15 feet of plowing through my center console last year on hog island at 430am, smashed into the island, went airborne and 20 yards up on the island. They literally almost killed me and themselves. I politely walked over, checked on them, and pulled their boat off. Had it been 2 minutes later I would've been sitting where they smashed into the island tied up to the bank with my blind up. Almost killing someone is a whole lot worse than hunting someone else's blind that they built on public water.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby merg » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:05 am

I quit building public water blinds and buying decoys when I realized I could just sleep in, boom scout, motor up to a piedmonters spread, drop anchor, deploy my nifty pop-up blind, and hunt beside them using their decoys.
It's perfectly legal- I'm not harrassing them or interfering with their hunt in any way- just exercising my right to hunt on ANY public water. If you're dumb enough to tie out a spread on public water I won't hesitate to jump it...
merg
hunter

Postby NCGWP » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 am

merg wrote:I quit building public water blinds and buying decoys when I realized I could just sleep in, boom scout, motor up to a piedmonters spread, drop anchor, deploy my nifty pop-up blind, and hunt beside them using their decoys.
It's perfectly legal- I'm not harrassing them or interfering with their hunt in any way- just exercising my right to hunt on ANY public water. If you're dumb enough to tie out a spread on public water I won't hesitate to jump it...

Is the difference that hazy to you?

If you build a blind on public land or water expecting people to give it a wide birth whether you're there or not, whether you're hunting or not, you're essentially converting it from public to private. The only difference is how intimidating and nasty you can be to stake your claim. This guy was trying to be the Tony Soprano of the duck marsh.

If I carted a few old Christmas trees to a fishing hole, GPS'd it, and came back to find someone else found it on the Sonar and was fishing it, would he be rude? No. Its the same thing.
NCGWP
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:47 am

CatFan wrote:
jdbdkhr wrote:
ncdrumchaser wrote:Stump, I really don’t think the results would be good. It,s‘attitude like yours that are shaping the face of new school duck hunting. I had a big laugh this morning watching all the paying hunters showing up early at my local ramp. Lol most folks here do not put over or leave the dock until 30 min. Before lst. Any way the offender in the original post probably won’t see duck hunting as he knew it except watching it on tv. A duck simply is not worth risking your life or threatening another’s. Happy last two weeks.

I am new to duck hunting, but I have hunted and fished all my life. Tutored by my grandfather, I was taught manners and respect of other people while in the outdoors. Most of our hunting was on private land but fishing on the lakes was of coarse a different story. He wouldn't go anywhere near another boat fishing even if it was a spot he wanted to fish. We would go somewhere else, then come back later after the other boat had gone. I have seen attitudes change over the years in this regard as well.

As far as hunting goes, I would not climb into someone else's blind as a matter of respect for their effort and money spent to build it. I would however, have no problem setting up 200 yards away if the blind wasn't occupied when I arrived at the spot. Does that sound reasonable to those of you here who build and hunt out of blinds on public waters?

In your fishing analogy you’d have to stay away from a spot you saw someone on forever because it’s ‘his’ spot. And as far as going back when they leave, do that in places like Kentucky Lake and they’ll call you the fishing equivalent of Jr Duck Commander. But only if they are being nice about it lol. Not saying it right, just that it happens.

tired of hearing about Kentucky. Please go back.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Rules are you build it on public land, anyone can hunt it. I wouldnt do it and I know there is a possibility of someone hunting my blind if I build one. Maybe its just me, but why doesnt everyone just lock up their blinds nice and tight? Seems like if you are worried about someone hunting it you could solve that problem really quickly. Hell I had to do that on private land in Hyde where my blinds were being hunted. Blinds where on private marsh, clearly marked no trespassing but it kept getting hunted when I wasnt there. Locked them up and no more problems.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby CatFan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:
CatFan wrote:
jdbdkhr wrote:
ncdrumchaser wrote:Stump, I really don’t think the results would be good. It,s‘attitude like yours that are shaping the face of new school duck hunting. I had a big laugh this morning watching all the paying hunters showing up early at my local ramp. Lol most folks here do not put over or leave the dock until 30 min. Before lst. Any way the offender in the original post probably won’t see duck hunting as he knew it except watching it on tv. A duck simply is not worth risking your life or threatening another’s. Happy last two weeks.

I am new to duck hunting, but I have hunted and fished all my life. Tutored by my grandfather, I was taught manners and respect of other people while in the outdoors. Most of our hunting was on private land but fishing on the lakes was of coarse a different story. He wouldn't go anywhere near another boat fishing even if it was a spot he wanted to fish. We would go somewhere else, then come back later after the other boat had gone. I have seen attitudes change over the years in this regard as well.

As far as hunting goes, I would not climb into someone else's blind as a matter of respect for their effort and money spent to build it. I would however, have no problem setting up 200 yards away if the blind wasn't occupied when I arrived at the spot. Does that sound reasonable to those of you here who build and hunt out of blinds on public waters?

In your fishing analogy you’d have to stay away from a spot you saw someone on forever because it’s ‘his’ spot. And as far as going back when they leave, do that in places like Kentucky Lake and they’ll call you the fishing equivalent of Jr Duck Commander. But only if they are being nice about it lol. Not saying it right, just that it happens.

tired of hearing about Kentucky. Please go back.

LOL. I do plan to when I retire. But, man, if you are that easily offended you need to head over to Duke and see if they have a safe space for you. :lol3:
CatFan
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:00 pm

KAhunter wrote:Rules are you build it on public land, anyone can hunt it. I wouldnt do it and I know there is a possibility of someone hunting my blind if I build one. Maybe its just me, but why doesnt everyone just lock up their blinds nice and tight? Seems like if you are worried about someone hunting it you could solve that problem really quickly. Hell I had to do that on private land in Hyde where my blinds were being hunted. Blinds where on private marsh, clearly marked no trespassing but it kept getting hunted when I wasnt there. Locked them up and no more problems.

Very good point. Private land blinds should never be hunted by anyone without permission.. I wish the state would not allow fixed blinds on public land. Storms tear em up and they become navigation hazards.

Hunt out of a boat or layout. Fun and effective. IMHO First person to a spot on public water gets it.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:15 pm

In your fishing analogy you’d have to stay away from a spot you saw someone on forever because it’s ‘his’ spot. And as far as going back when they leave, do that in places like Kentucky Lake and they’ll call you the fishing equivalent of Jr Duck Commander. But only if they are being nice about it lol. Not saying it right, just that it happens.[/quote]

tired of hearing about Kentucky. Please go back.[/quote]

LOL. I do plan to when I retire. But, man, if you are that easily offended you need to head over to Duke and see if they have a safe space for you. :lol3:[/quote]

once Duke gets me on my meds they put me back on the street. At least I or you don't have the "locals only" syndrome of Dare county.
That was a basketball jab, sorry I did not clarify. did not mean to be a jerk.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby CatFan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:In your fishing analogy you’d have to stay away from a spot you saw someone on forever because it’s ‘his’ spot. And as far as going back when they leave, do that in places like Kentucky Lake and they’ll call you the fishing equivalent of Jr Duck Commander. But only if they are being nice about it lol. Not saying it right, just that it happens.

LOL. I do plan to when I retire. But, man, if you are that easily offended you need to head over to Duke and see if they have a safe space for you. :lol3:[/quote]

once Duke gets me on my meds they put me back on the street. At least I or you don't have the "locals only" syndrome of Dare county.
That was a basketball jab, sorry I did not clarify. did not mean to be a jerk.[/quote]

No worries, man. As long as you don't have a man-crush on Christian Laettner we are all good. :beer:
CatFan
hunter

Postby NCGWP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:43 am

HydeMarsh wrote:In your fishing analogy you’d have to stay away from a spot you saw someone on forever because it’s ‘his’ spot. And as far as going back when they leave, do that in places like Kentucky Lake and they’ll call you the fishing equivalent of Jr Duck Commander. But only if they are being nice about it lol. Not saying it right, just that it happens.

That was a basketball jab, sorry I did not clarify. did not mean to be a jerk.[/quote]
The guys name looked familiar to me...figured it out, it was from when I dabbled in powerlifting...I wonder if the dude wasn't on a new cycle and had the roid rage hit him at the wrong time
NCGWP
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:27 am

I do not know him, however people that do have the same speculation. makes sense. Steroids do weird things to a person.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 am

The results wont be good???? Trust me son, you do not want to go there. I`m a calm and courteous man until threatened by another especially when they are carrying a firearm. PM and Ill give you my address and where Ill be hunting.

So with your, and many others analogy, I am free to erect blinds on public waters and expect to be able to hunt them as well...they are mine. Sounds like a winner to me. I`ll be building all spring and summer on the lake I hunt. In fact this is amazing as I`ll never have to wake up early again nor rush. I can simply scout and hunt spot A B C D E of however many with no repercussions. Beats the crap out of driving out of state and will save me loads of money and time. THANK YOU!!!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby black_duck » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Unfortunately we can see that there are multiple different opinions on this topic, which illustrates how there will continue to be conflicts about what is right and what is wrong until more blind laws are enforced.

HydeMarsh wrote:From individuals close to the situation, they were in their own boat and he jumped in their boat and started beating them.

The real answer to the dilemma is to not allow blinds on public trust water. No one should deny another access. First come first served. If you want a private spot then buy one.

Hyde, I hunt in a county where there are no blind laws, and until recent years, I've always believed that was a good idea. Unfortunately I have come to believe that blind laws are necessary. I own "private land" along the edge of the sound and have several blinds built along the shoreline. Most people see the blinds along the shoreline and avoid the area knowing that the blinds are private and often hunted. Unfortunately because there are no blind laws, some people will pull their boat blinds up and hunt along the shoreline, sometimes as close as 100 yards from me. They sit ten feet from the posted sign, but because there is no law, there is nothing I can do but watch people blast at every bufflehead within 75 yards of them. There is even a scissors rig that sits about 300 yards in front of me and runs trips there every day of the week. What is the value of purchasing private land if someone can sit 2 feet off the bank in their boat and ruin all the effort I've put into managing the area? I realize that 95% of people would not do this and be courteous, but unfortunately there are 5% of people who have no respect for other hunters at all.
Psalms 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

The duck hunters bible verse
black_duck
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:32 pm

black_duck wrote:Unfortunately we can see that there are multiple different opinions on this topic, which illustrates how there will continue to be conflicts about what is right and what is wrong until more blind laws are enforced.

HydeMarsh wrote:From individuals close to the situation, they were in their own boat and he jumped in their boat and started beating them.

The real answer to the dilemma is to not allow blinds on public trust water. No one should deny another access. First come first served. If you want a private spot then buy one.

Hyde, I hunt in a county where there are no blind laws, and until recent years, I've always believed that was a good idea. Unfortunately I have come to believe that blind laws are necessary. I own "private land" along the edge of the sound and have several blinds built along the shoreline. Most people see the blinds along the shoreline and avoid the area knowing that the blinds are private and often hunted. Unfortunately because there are no blind laws, some people will pull their boat blinds up and hunt along the shoreline, sometimes as close as 100 yards from me. They sit ten feet from the posted sign, but because there is no law, there is nothing I can do but watch people blast at every bufflehead within 75 yards of them. There is even a scissors rig that sits about 300 yards in front of me and runs trips there every day of the week. What is the value of purchasing private land if someone can sit 2 feet off the bank in their boat and ruin all the effort I've put into managing the area? I realize that 95% of people would not do this and be courteous, but unfortunately there are 5% of people who have no respect for other hunters at all.

If it is public water with state owned waterbottom, there is nothing you can do. You own the land-not the water.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ncdrumchaser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:50 pm

People seem not to respect anything anymore. I love the mentality if there is a blind there it must be a good spot. I personally don’t enjoy hunting 200 yards from another group. It seems when a group sees another group tied out they just have to hunt there! Then conflict arises, these new duck commanders thrive on drama, conflict, and the money shot on social media. Keep it up boys blind laws are coming to a county near you....and it’s your own damn fault! I personally love the blind laws in my county, I enjoy my spots, and realize at my age I can’t be everywhere. Enjoy the last week, we may not see it this good for a few years
ncdrumchaser
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
black_duck wrote:Unfortunately we can see that there are multiple different opinions on this topic, which illustrates how there will continue to be conflicts about what is right and what is wrong until more blind laws are enforced.

If it is public water with state owned waterbottom, there is nothing you can do. You own the land-not the water.

AMEN to that. As long as I am below the high water mark it is public!
A PUBLIC lake means just that...PUBLIC!!!!!!
All these people think that they are entitled.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Guys this is off topic and contentious, I believe blind laws are pure evil. Public water is public water.

Public streets are public streets. Some drivers do dumb things but that does not mean you can keep everyone off the roads near you.

I believe blind laws will change but not in the way you think.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:Guys this is off topic and contentious, I believe blind laws are pure evil. Public water is public water.

Public streets are public streets. Some drivers do dumb things but that does not mean you can keep everyone off the roads near you.

I believe blind laws will change but not in the way you think.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bluesky2012 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:43 pm

So how far from your property is this arbitrary line that people can start hunting from?

It's public land. If you don't like what people do on the public land near your private land, then sell the private land and buy a piece where no public land touches it. You bought the land, but what happens outside your property line is not for you to control. If that land isn't as valuable to you then sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby ncdrumchaser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:39 pm

survey time...............

For all of those who are in favor of blind laws and blinds on public waters say yay or nay.

For all the nays........how many of you in the last 10 years have hired a guide in Ocracoke or are on a waiting list to hunt Ocracoke?
Guess what every one of those blinds and sink boxes are public! I am pretty sure most of you would give your left nut to hunt Ocracoke. How would you feel after you spent a couple hundred on a room for a few nights, gas money, guides fee+tip, you get to your location and a few jack legs are already set up? Then these sportsman look you and your guide in the eyes and tell you "hey man its public". :hammer: :thumbsup: :beer:
ncdrumchaser
hunter

Postby ncdrumchaser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Also...if you think NC's county blind laws are bad..some states if you register a riparian blind site you are given an additional off shore location. That's right johnny land owner can lock up his shore line and the water x amount of yards out so you cant float hunt or get an open water location.
ncdrumchaser
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 pm

I don't hunt in the Carolinas. but I am 100% against blind laws on public land.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:07 pm

ncdrumchaser wrote:Also...if you think NC's county blind laws are bad..some states if you register a riparian blind site you are given an additional off shore location. That's right johnny land owner can lock up his shore line and the water x amount of yards out so you cant float hunt or get an open water location.

Not trying to be contentious but NC's riparian rights only allow the right to warf (build a pier). NC Pamlico and Carteret Safe Hunter Law gives land owners 2/3 mile of exclusive shoreline per blind and out to 1/3 mile off shore. How is that right?

I know several people that have 5 blinds in Dare, they get exclusive rights to public water blinds for as long as they want them.
How is that right?

Again, if you want a private place, buy one. We all are entitled to Public Trust Waters.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby merg » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 am

Same ones crying "PUBLIC" would be throwing tantrums at the HOA meeting, calling their State Rep and starting petitions if I parked my junker in front of their exclusive house on a public street.

Never had a single issue with a blind owner. I know where they are and can account for them in my planning. Truth is most were poorly sited to begin with. Somebody picked what looked to them like a sweet, or convenient, spot and went with the ol " if you build it they will come" theory.
When I have a hunt ruined it's 100% float hunting social butterflys stumblin roun clueless at shooting time,
or the "it's public and I have every right to set up 80yds downwind of you 15 mins after legal , sniff sniff" crowd.
merg
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting