This guy won't be runnning folks off public land for a while

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Re: This guy won't be runnning folks off public land for a w

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:57 am

merg wrote:Same ones crying "PUBLIC" would be throwing tantrums at the HOA meeting, calling their State Rep and starting petitions if I parked my junker in front of their exclusive house on a public street.

Never had a single issue with a blind owner. I know where they are and can account for them in my planning. Truth is most were poorly sited to begin with. Somebody picked what looked to them like a sweet, or convenient, spot and went with the ol " if you build it they will come" theory.
When I have a hunt ruined it's 100% float hunting social butterflys stumblin roun clueless at shooting time,
or the "it's public and I have every right to set up 80yds downwind of you 15 mins after legal , sniff sniff" crowd.

Don't think you are right about the parking, but some might.

However, a former chairman of the Dare wildlife commission hunted our club and told me I would probably never be able to get a float blind permit. If I could get a float blind permit I would never have a problem with the blinds. I would follow your pattern.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:20 am

HydeMarsh wrote:
merg wrote:Same ones crying "PUBLIC" would be throwing tantrums at the HOA meeting, calling their State Rep and starting petitions if I parked my junker in front of their exclusive house on a public street.

Never had a single issue with a blind owner. I know where they are and can account for them in my planning. Truth is most were poorly sited to begin with. Somebody picked what looked to them like a sweet, or convenient, spot and went with the ol " if you build it they will come" theory.
When I have a hunt ruined it's 100% float hunting social butterflys stumblin roun clueless at shooting time,
or the "it's public and I have every right to set up 80yds downwind of you 15 mins after legal , sniff sniff" crowd.

Don't think you are right about the parking, but some might.

However, a former chairman of the Dare wildlife commission hunted our club and told me I would probably never be able to get a float blind permit. If I could get a float blind permit I would never have a problem with the blinds. I would follow your pattern.

And there is the rub...great for those that have the permits though.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby black_duck » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:24 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:
black_duck wrote:Unfortunately we can see that there are multiple different opinions on this topic, which illustrates how there will continue to be conflicts about what is right and what is wrong until more blind laws are enforced.

HydeMarsh wrote:From individuals close to the situation, they were in their own boat and he jumped in their boat and started beating them.

The real answer to the dilemma is to not allow blinds on public trust water. No one should deny another access. First come first served. If you want a private spot then buy one.

Hyde, I hunt in a county where there are no blind laws, and until recent years, I've always believed that was a good idea. Unfortunately I have come to believe that blind laws are necessary. I own "private land" along the edge of the sound and have several blinds built along the shoreline. Most people see the blinds along the shoreline and avoid the area knowing that the blinds are private and often hunted. Unfortunately because there are no blind laws, some people will pull their boat blinds up and hunt along the shoreline, sometimes as close as 100 yards from me. They sit ten feet from the posted sign, but because there is no law, there is nothing I can do but watch people blast at every bufflehead within 75 yards of them. There is even a scissors rig that sits about 300 yards in front of me and runs trips there every day of the week. What is the value of purchasing private land if someone can sit 2 feet off the bank in their boat and ruin all the effort I've put into managing the area? I realize that 95% of people would not do this and be courteous, but unfortunately there are 5% of people who have no respect for other hunters at all.

So how far from your property is this arbitrary line that people can start hunting from?

It's public land. If you don't like what people do on the public land near your private land, then sell the private land and buy a piece where no public land touches it. You bought the land, but what happens outside your property line is not for you to control. If that land isn't as valuable to you then sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There shouldn't have to be a set distance... It's a matter of etiquette and respecting someone else's blind, especially when he's hunting it. I completely agree that it's public water and the public should be able to hunt it.
I've hunted public water my whole life and often still do. But it's very frustrating watching some jack off motor 200 yards downwind of you minutes before shooting time, throw out three dozen blue bill and mallard decoys, pull his boat up to the bank, and shoot at everything that flies by. If people had respect and just moved a couple hundred yards further away, then we'd both do better. Like I said, its the select few idiots who ruin it for everyone else.
Psalms 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

The duck hunters bible verse
black_duck
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:13 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:
There's only one way to get a permit and complaining about blind laws on a internet forum isn't going to do it.

I've got a float blind permit. The year I got it, two of them were up for grabs and I was the only person that applied for one before the meeting.

Everyone gripes about how they can't get a blind location here, but the only thing stopping them is the amount of effort it takes to get one and maintain it. I've got family that constantly bitches about not being able to hunt a specific spot but when given the opportunity to hunt one of mine they would even help bush it. So they hunt on the gamelands and shoot a couple fishducks on the good days.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:09 pm

More conformed details . Just posted in WRAL website:

SWAN QUARTER, N.C. — Authorities say a man assaulted a cousin of Gov. Roy Cooper and a North Carolina wildlife official, ranted at them with slurs and threats and accused them of hunting in his duck blind.

The Hyde County Sheriff's Office said 29-year-old Jarrod Thomas Umphlett faces multiple charges, including assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill.

An incident report says Umphlett's boat rammed a boat carrying John Clark Purvis Sr. and Wildlife Resources Commission member Richard Edwards on Dec. 16. The report says Umphlett boarded the boat, hit Purvis in the head and yelled racial slurs. All three men are white. The report says Umphlett threatened to "crush your skull in this lake." It said Purvis was bruised but not seriously injured.

It's not known if Umphlett has an attorney.

___

This story has been corrected to show Purvis was hit instead of Edwards.

ADVERTISING
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby jdbdkhr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:49 pm

https://www.facebook.com/ncsportsman/po ... 7345908982

Here is a link to the NC Sportsman article on this matter.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Edwards is a real jerk himself. His father bought his position on the WRC board through political donations. I don't know anyone who really likes him, except for his little social click.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:15 am

Dingbatter wrote:Edwards is a real jerk himself. His father bought his position on the WRC board through political donations. I don't know anyone who really likes him, except for his little social click.

Do you know f he is related to the Edwards that owns Carolina Ice out of Kinston?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 am

The saga continues; another article shows the following:

NC Guide and Outfitter Jarrod Umphlett has a second run in with the law on Public Water adjoining Public Lands...

In addition to the previously reported 11 charges Mr. Umphlett faces, including Assualt With a Deadly Weapon With Intent to Kill, he was again written up and charged after allegedly verbally assaulting a father and his young son, just days later while allegedly interfering with their lawful hunt on public waters / land.

It was further reported the Defendant hurled repetitive insults, yelling to the father and his young son... You "F--king N-----s" over and over again.

Jarrod Umphlett has his first court date in Hyde County on 1/31/2018.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby CatFan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:26 am

Some seem to think his dad would be able to make this go away. Given this information, I don't see that happening. If he really did commit and second offense after already being charged previously, I wonder what his bail will be.
CatFan
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:09 am

Sounds like this guy (the attacker) is a real bad dude!
Paul26
hunter

Postby echoduck » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:39 pm

It was further reported the Defendant hurled repetitive insults, yelling to the father and his young son... You "F--king N-----s" over and over again.

Jarrod Umphlett has his first court date in Hyde County on 1/31/2018.[/quote]

Maybe his Judge will be African American. Im sure his reported comments would help in the sentencing phase.
echoduck
hunter

Postby duk-cmdr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:36 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:It was further reported the Defendant hurled repetitive insults, yelling to the father and his young son... You "F--king N-----s" over and over again.

Based on my knowledge of the situation all involved parties were white. So I just imagine straight confusion after pulling away..."Did he just call us N-----s"? :huh:

Jarrod's companion that was mentioned must've been Clayton Bigsby.
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby CatFan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:14 pm

Paul26 wrote:Sounds like this guy (the attacker) is a real bad dude!

At least he seems to think he is.
CatFan
hunter

Postby kahunna » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 am

So...guilty verdict yesterday, or case continued to a later date?
kahunna
hunter

Postby Galactic Ricky » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:35 pm

duk-cmdr wrote:
HydeMarsh wrote:It was further reported the Defendant hurled repetitive insults, yelling to the father and his young son... You "F--king N-----s" over and over again.

Based on my knowledge of the situation all involved parties were white. So I just imagine straight confusion after pulling away..."Did he just call us N-----s"? :huh:

Jarrod's companion that was mentioned must've been Clayton Bigsby.

:lol3: :lol3: :beer:
Galactic Ricky
hunter

Postby CatFan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Thinking about this and if the reports of his actions are even remotely accurate he just sounds like a nut job. Maybe that roid rage speculation has some merit.
CatFan
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:23 am

CatFan wrote:Some seem to think his dad would be able to make this go away. Given this information, I don't see that happening. If he really did commit and second offense after already being charged previously, I wonder what his bail will be.

Money vs money and power
I know a fair amount of people in that area who know him. Steroids is something that has been thrown around numerous times.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby fowlest1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:43 pm

might have had to gun him down ... Jump in my boat and whip my ass.. :lol3:
fowlest1
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:24 pm

KAhunter wrote:
CatFan wrote:Some seem to think his dad would be able to make this go away. Given this information, I don't see that happening. If he really did commit and second offense after already being charged previously, I wonder what his bail will be.

Money vs money and power
I know a fair amount of people in that area who know him. Steroids is something that has been thrown around numerous times.

I can't research this much because my internet is slow right now, but if he was just charged previously and not convicted that doesn't mean anything.
Felony vs misdemeanor assault depends on the extent of the injuries and circumstances overall. DA's usually overcharge and charge as many offenses as possible in an attempt to get something to stick in the end.
With a decent attorney and a not guilty plea you never know what will happen. He may end up with a misdemeanor assault plea deal or something like that. Or a deferred felony. Who knows.

If he does get convicted of a felony, that doesn't mean much either. Anyone can get a shotgun and unless he gets arrested again and his criminal history is run, probably will get away with continuing to hunt. Not sure what the procedures are in NC but a cop can't typically just run someone's criminal history unless they get arrested or have a very good reason.

As nuts as he sounds, I doubt anything is gonna stop him from duck hunting in the future unless he goes to prison.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:32 pm

If he gets convicted of a felony, the LEO's won't have to run his name for a background check. This area isn't a city with millions of people. Everyone pretty much knows everyone local, especially those that they've already arrested. He is a marked man for the rest of his life.

Game wardens make arrest for felon in possession of firearm every year here it seems like, there's a court date in Hyde County for it right now.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:46 pm

ncbufflehead wrote:If he gets convicted of a felony, the LEO's won't have to run his name for a background check. This area isn't a city with millions of people. Everyone pretty much knows everyone local, especially those that they've already arrested. He is a marked man for the rest of his life.

Game wardens make arrest for felon in possession of firearm every year here it seems like, there's a court date in Hyde County for it right now.

Maybe in that particular area, but if he moves no one will know. Like I said I'm sure he'll still end up duck hunting somewhere regardless of the outcome.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:17 am

Excellent point Shovler. My vote is for him to hunt in Pamlico county but he will probably go to Arkansas, La, or Kansas.

I have been told that places in Pamlico county like Jones Island club, James Johnson's land and NEWPAMBA have their own caretaker/wardens that try to run people off public water near their places. I wonder what would happen if the roles were reversed and someone attempted to run him off public water?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:52 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:Excellent point Shovler. My vote is for him to hunt in Pamlico county but he will probably go to Arkansas, La, or Kansas.

I have been told that places in Pamlico county like Jones Island club, James Johnson's land and NEWPAMBA have their own caretaker/wardens that try to run people off public water near their places. I wonder what would happen if the roles were reversed and someone attempted to run him off public water?

If he does, wouldn't surprise me if something similar surfaces again. I did read into it more thoroughly and if I remember right he was already indicted in December for the same thing....that should've been a wakeup call if he was gonna change. He hasn't been convicted of anything yet but based on this info it sounds like he has a problem. Almost 30 years old and acting like that, it's not like he's some hot tempered kid with a underdeveloped brain. Although the latter part sounds like it may be true. :yes:

I know of a federal LEO with a similar disposition. History of alcoholism, DUI, bad temper. He had a number of little incidents early in his career and somehow made it to a supervisor position, which is rare for anyone, let alone violent alcoholics. Then he allegedly beat a female family member and was charged with domestic assault. Maybe he was actually innocent, maybe not, but he somehow got out of that and now he's a BLM ranger and probably makes more money than he did before. Guarantee something else will come up sooner or later though and at some point he'll be in too deep of a hole to be rescued by whoever his buddies are.

I try not to pass too much judgement on people's legal issues (I think legal issues tend to be way too publicized, but that's a different topic) but if it's violent with a proven history...what can you do.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby NCGWP » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:26 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
KAhunter wrote:

Money vs money and power

I can't research this much because my internet is slow right now, but if he was just charged previously and not convicted that doesn't mean anything.
Felony vs misdemeanor assault depends on the extent of the injuries and circumstances overall. DA's usually overcharge and charge as many offenses as possible in an attempt to get something to stick in the end.
With a decent attorney and a not guilty plea you never know what will happen. He may end up with a misdemeanor assault plea deal or something like that. Or a deferred felony. Who knows.

If he does get convicted of a felony, that doesn't mean much either. Anyone can get a shotgun and unless he gets arrested again and his criminal history is run, probably will get away with continuing to hunt. Not sure what the procedures are in NC but a cop can't typically just run someone's criminal history unless they get arrested or have a very good reason.

As nuts as he sounds, I doubt anything is gonna stop him from duck hunting in the future unless he goes to prison.

Hyde county is a small place...As is Dare...And he's not exactly a face in the crowd there, especially not after this.
HydeMarsh wrote:Excellent point Shovler. My vote is for him to hunt in Pamlico county but he will probably go to Arkansas, La, or Kansas.
If he avoids getting checked, maybe he gets away with it...Its a one thing to get away with a few days of hunting a year, as soon as there's a little inquiry, you're liable to have trouble.
HydeMarsh wrote:I have been told that places in Pamlico county like Jones Island club, James Johnson's land and NEWPAMBA have their own caretaker/wardens that try to run people off public water near their places. I wonder what would happen if the roles were reversed and someone attempted to run him off public water?
It sounds like the Huron Mountain Club. Its a famous spot in the UP, one of the few places you can fish for "Coaster" brook trout (brookies that live in Lake Superior and migrate in to spawn or following Salmon for food,) and they have a bridge that can access the water, on a public road. The river is public, but you can only access coming in form Lake Superior or from the bridge. There is much contention over the bridge. The club hires off duty Police/Deputies as their "security."

If he tried this with an off Duty sheriff's officer hired by the club, I imagine it wouldn't work out so well.
NCGWP
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting