Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby bigsprig » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:52 pm

Compensatory days will now be allowed for waterfowl and webless species (doves, woodcock, rails and snipe). Previously, due to federal guidelines, North Carolina was required to count Sundays as a hunting day for webless species even though there are state prohibitions for hunting all migratory game birds on Sunday. Proposed season dates for these species will now reflect the availability of these compensatory days for all migratory birds.

The final dove season dates chosen may allow for additional late season dove hunting opportunities since the closing framework date for doves is now Jan. 31. Previously dove seasons were required to close no later than Jan. 15

The Southern James Bay Population (SJBP) Hunt Zone for Canada geese is being discontinued. Counties previously included in the SJBP zone will now become part of the Resident Population Hunt Zone. Southern James Bay geese are a shared resource between the Atlantic and Mississippi Flyways with principal wintering areas in Ohio, Michigan and surrounding states. Discontinuation of the SJBP zone in North Carolina is primarily a result of a change in management philosophy for this group of geese.

The federal brant season frameworks will now allow a 60-day season with a two-bird daily bag. As an alternative, the Commission seeks feedback on a reduced brant season that overlaps the third segment of the duck hunting season. This would represent no change from the previous hunting season since state surveys, along with information from local guides and hunters, indicate that brant numbers have fallen dramatically in recent years.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
User avatar
bigsprig
hunter
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby CatFan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:45 am

So, still not decision on Sunday duck hunting from what I could tell.
CatFan
hunter
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:22 pm

CatFan wrote:So, still not decision on Sunday duck hunting from what I could tell.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Abo ... _MBird.pdf
User avatar
ncbufflehead
hunter
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby Shurshot » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:15 am

Good updated, appreciate it ncb.

I have heard there’s been a lot of heartburn over the Sunday “restrictions”. Appears that powers to be either want it to be like any regular weekday (i.e. no restrictions) or not have it all. I can certainly understand their reasoning because realistically it would make it only a limited morning shoot. Fine for some, not so for others.

So here’s a real rub with me and the issue is addressed above. If NC allows Sunday hunting in any form, once done, we loose any right from the Feds to have compensatory days reinstated should the state (or people) decide maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to open up Sunday in the first place. Once that trigger is pulled, you can’t call that bullet back. And you never know how the general/local public is going to react to the gunfire barrage of Sunday morning shooters. It’s a gamble that I’d not want to take but that’s just me.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby jdbdkhr » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:28 pm

Shurshot wrote:Good updated, appreciate it ncb.

I have heard there’s been a lot of heartburn over the Sunday “restrictions”. Appears that powers to be either want it to be like any regular weekday (i.e. no restrictions) or not have it all. I can certainly understand their reasoning because realistically it would make it only a limited morning shoot. Fine for some, not so for others.

So here’s a real rub with me and the issue is addressed above. If NC allows Sunday hunting in any form, once done, we loose any right from the Feds to have compensatory days reinstated should the state (or people) decide maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to open up Sunday in the first place. Once that trigger is pulled, you can’t call that bullet back. And you never know how the general/local public is going to react to the gunfire barrage of Sunday morning shooters. It’s a gamble that I’d not want to take but that’s just me.


Pretty much agree with you Sureshot. Not worth the gamble in my opinion.
jdbdkhr
hunter
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby CatFan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:29 am

ncbufflehead wrote:
CatFan wrote:So, still not decision on Sunday duck hunting from what I could tell.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Abo ... _MBird.pdf


That’s not new, dated end of Feb, and is not a decision. Just a statement that research will continue.
CatFan
hunter
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:23 pm

CatFan wrote:
ncbufflehead wrote:
CatFan wrote:So, still not decision on Sunday duck hunting from what I could tell.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Abo ... _MBird.pdf


That’s not new, dated end of Feb, and is not a decision. Just a statement that research will continue.
The NCWRC discussed it, that was what they decided to do. I wouldn't get my hopes up of hearing a yes or no any time soon.
User avatar
ncbufflehead
hunter
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby Paul26 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:02 pm

Someone pls explain what “compensatory days” means. I understand the lost-Sunday’s part. But what does this mean to our actual season/splits??

Does in mean that the season is extended beyond the normal last weekend of January? I thought there were Fed regs which prevented the season from going beyond this point.

Or do we shrink the time off between the Nov-Dec splits?
Paul26
hunter
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Paul26 wrote:Someone pls explain what “compensatory days” means. I understand the lost-Sunday’s part. But what does this mean to our actual season/splits??

Does in mean that the season is extended beyond the normal last weekend of January? I thought there were Fed regs which prevented the season from going beyond this point.

Or do we shrink the time off between the Nov-Dec splits?
This does nothing to our waterfowl season, it adds more hunting days to the seasons for webless migratory birds.

Our waterfowl season already has the compensatory days figured in because we don't have Sunday hunting........ if we had Sunday hunting our Season would have about 8 to 10 less calendar days.
User avatar
ncbufflehead
hunter
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby Paul26 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:12 pm

Got it. Thanks.
Paul26
hunter
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby KAhunter » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:58 am

ncbufflehead wrote:
Paul26 wrote:Someone pls explain what “compensatory days” means. I understand the lost-Sunday’s part. But what does this mean to our actual season/splits??

Does in mean that the season is extended beyond the normal last weekend of January? I thought there were Fed regs which prevented the season from going beyond this point.

Or do we shrink the time off between the Nov-Dec splits?
This does nothing to our waterfowl season, it adds more hunting days to the seasons for webless migratory birds.

Our waterfowl season already has the compensatory days figured in because we don't have Sunday hunting........ if we had Sunday hunting our Season would have about 8 to 10 less calendar days.

Yep that loss of the 8 or 10 days will hurt us. If it does come through I wish they would take it from beginning of december split and start around xmas or however that falls.. leave oct, nov and january alone.
I have always been against sunday hunting if for no other reason than I like the day off. It also gives us hunters and the ducks a break.
Think the public hunting is bad now?? add another weekend day on the sound and its gonna go nowhere but down.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 2276
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:11 am

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby Gunpowder1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:55 pm

KAHunter I agree with all you said.
"Think the public hunting is bad now?? add another weekend day on the sound and its gonna go nowhere but down"

KA I know you frequent the more southern sounds but same holds true up here on the Currituck. We don't need Sundays and ducks do need sundays off.

All of you who can only hunt weekends because of work, thats your choice. You chose work as your priority. Many of us chose hunting as our priority and made sacrifices so that our lives fit that agenda. Sorry
Gunpowder1
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby KAhunter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 am

Gunpowder1 wrote:KAHunter I agree with all you said.
"Think the public hunting is bad now?? add another weekend day on the sound and its gonna go nowhere but down"

KA I know you frequent the more southern sounds but same holds true up here on the Currituck. We don't need Sundays and ducks do need sundays off.

All of you who can only hunt weekends because of work, thats your choice. You chose work as your priority. Many of us chose hunting as our priority and made sacrifices so that our lives fit that agenda. Sorry

Actually grew up hunting currituck and I am in a club there. I hunt more south now because... reasons. Still in currituck a fair amount each year.
Currituck gets hammered and usually goes to crap after the first week of each season. Would be worse with sunday hunting.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 2276
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:11 am

Re: Waterfowl Regulations update- posted today

Postby Shurshot » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:56 am

[/quote] Think the public hunting is bad now?? add another weekend day on the sound and its gonna go nowhere but down.[/quote]

Absolutely true. There are not but so many “good” freelanceable places to hunt. More and more people are showing up at these places, putting an exorbitant amount of pressure on the remaining birds. Consequently, the birds scatter, in some cases almost vanish. So, in our infinite wisdom, we want to basically double the weekend hunting effort and somehow believe this will be advantageous to our duck hunting success? If being able to take more trips in a season is the definition of success then yes, it’s all good. If actually wanting to have decent hunts throughout the season (other than the opener) is also a prerequisite, well I think that would end up being wishful thinking for us coastal hunters.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Eastern NC


Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests