2018-19 season update- 2 Pintails now allowed

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

2018-19 season update- 2 Pintails now allowed

Postby bigsprig » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 am

At its business meeting yesterday, the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission set season dates, bag limits and applicable regulations for the 2018-19 waterfowl, webless migratory game bird (including doves) and extended falconry seasons.

Selected seasons will also be published in the 2018-19 Inland Fishing, Hunting and Trapping Regulations Digest.

While many seasons remain unchanged, some notable changes are.

The daily bag limit for pintails has increased to 2 pintails per day. The overall daily duck bag limit remains at 6 ducks per day and with no additional changes compared to the previous hunting season.

The Southern James Bay Population (SJBP) Hunt Zone for Canada geese has been discontinued. Counties previously included in the SJBP zone will now become part of the Resident Population Hunt Zone. Southern James Bay geese are a shared resource between the Atlantic and Mississippi Flyways with principal wintering areas in Ohio, Michigan and surrounding states. Discontinuation of the SJBP zone in North Carolina is primarily a result of a change in management philosophy for this group of geese.

Compensatory days will now be allowed for webless species (doves, woodcock, rails and snipe). Previously, due to federal guidelines, North Carolina was required to count Sundays as a hunting day even though there are state prohibitions for hunting migratory game birds on Sunday.Season dates for these species will now reflect the availability of these compensatory days.
The dove season is extended until Jan. 31. Previously, dove seasons could not run past Jan. 15. This framework date change along with the change to compensatory days was a factor in having the season extend until the end of January.

Finally, the number of tundra swan hunting permits available in North Carolina remains at 6,250 permits. While this represents no change from the previous year, this is a substantial increase above the 5,000 permits available for a number of years. This increase in permits is in response to recent increases in the eastern population of tundra swans and is allowed under the approved Eastern Population Tundra Swan Management Plan. Hunting for tundra swans is by permit only, and permit holders are allowed one tundra swan per year. Hunters may apply for a tundra swan permit through the Permit Hunting
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Re: 2018-19 season update- 2 Pintails now allowed

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu May 03, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi Big Sprig, thanks for the update. I hope we can get together to chase some of those pintails this winter. Hope you are well.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby LTCNC_Sam » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:50 am

Did anyone else in the middle of the state see more pintails than usual this past year? I saw a couple of pintails on public land in December and then a handful of pintails on public land during the big freeze in January. Born originally in the Piedmont region of SC, prior to this year I could count on 1 hand the number of Pintail i'd seen in my life.
LTCNC_Sam
Newb

Postby CatFan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:56 pm

A hunting buddy flushed couple up one day after the big freeze near Raleigh.
CatFan
hunter

Postby fowlodor » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:52 am

LTCNC_Sam I saw and shot more this year for sure compared to years past. Piedmont Area
fowlodor
Newb

Postby LTCNC_Sam » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:44 am

Glad you guys saw some too. I was thrilled to see so many this year. I actually shot my first this year, and it just happened to be banded too ... banded (when it was already sexually mature) in early 2015 in North Dakota. I'll be getting it back soon from my taxidermist so i'll make sure to share a photo of him with ya'll then.
LTCNC_Sam
Newb

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:32 pm

LTCNC_Sam wrote:Glad you guys saw some too. I was thrilled to see so many this year. I actually shot my first this year, and it just happened to be banded too ... banded (when it was already sexually mature) in early 2015 in North Dakota. I'll be getting it back soon from my taxidermist so i'll make sure to share a photo of him with ya'll then.

Hi Sam, was the banded pintail killed in NC?
Did you take it east od Hwy 17?

Congratulations. I have killed a lot of pintails but never a banded one.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby LTCNC_Sam » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:51 am

HydeMarsh - Thanks man. It was killed in NC - & well west of 17 too. I must have caught them cutting east to the coast.
LTCNC_Sam
Newb

Postby ncdrumchaser » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:16 am

If you hunt the right areas....you would wonder why the limit is not 4, and it has been that way for ever.
becuase you leave at 2 am to hunt ducks... makes me glad we have blind laws!
ncdrumchaser
hunter

Postby LTCNC_Sam » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Got the banded bird back yesterday. Eric Perry out of Gold Hill did the taxidermy work.
Attachments
IMG_1608.JPG
LTCNC_Sam
Newb

Postby Shurshot » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:40 pm

Nice. Eric does very good work and is competitively priced.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting