Duck Blind

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Duck Blind

Postby OUTATIME » Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 am

I’ve never built a blind in a river or sound, and I am planing to. My question is do I need small pilings or would 6x6s work fine? I’ve seen both used, just wondering if the pilings are really needed.

Thanks
OUTATIME
hunter

Re: Duck Blind

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed May 16, 2018 11:58 am

Depends on how deep the water is and how open of an area you're building it in.

Whatever you use, if you want it to last more than a year, get the 2.5 treated lumber that they use for bulkheads and docks. Regular treated lumber doesn't last.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby OUTATIME » Wed May 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Alright. I was recommended the 2.5 treated pilings 16ft long, 8 inch diameter. They are $80 each and they will bring where ever you want in 100 miles. It sounds reasonable to me, what do you think?
OUTATIME
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 am

Just curious, what sound/county are you constructing your blind?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Thu May 17, 2018 8:08 am

OUTATIME wrote:Alright. I was recommended the 2.5 treated pilings 16ft long, 8 inch diameter. They are $80 each and they will bring where ever you want in 100 miles. It sounds reasonable to me, what do you think?
Sounds about right to me.

You can get by with 4x6 or 6x6 if you're in a shallow or more sheltered area.

When you build, build a platform on the poles. Use 5/4 decking and leave a small crack between boards so it doesn't hold air under it and want to float. Then build the blind on top of if it. During a hurricane you are more likely to lose only the box and not the poles and everything.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby echoduck » Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 am

Do you have to have a Cama permit? I was told by Cama in prior interactions (ie my dock, lifts, etc) that anytime a piling is placed into marsh/shore/water that it requires a permit in the coastal counties.
echoduck
hunter

Postby ncdrumchaser » Sat May 19, 2018 6:40 am

Bull crap on the permit! Not true! If that were the case they would make a fortune in dare and currituck counties!
becuase you leave at 2 am to hunt ducks... makes me glad we have blind laws!
ncdrumchaser
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue May 22, 2018 10:12 pm

FYI,

) a. "Development" means any activity in a duly designated area of environmental concern (except as provided in paragraph b of this subdivision) involving, requiring, or consisting of the construction or enlargement of a structure; excavation; dredging; filling; dumping; removal of clay, silt, sand, gravel or minerals; bulkheading, driving of pilings; clearing or alteration of land as an adjunct of construction; alteration or removal of sand dunes; alteration of the shore, bank, or bottom of the Atlantic Ocean or any sound, bay, river, creek, stream, lake, or canal; or placement of a floating structure in an area of environmental concern identified in G.S. 113A-113(b)(2) or (b)(5).
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:FYI,

) a. "Development" means any activity in a duly designated area of environmental concern (except as provided in paragraph b of this subdivision) involving, requiring, or consisting of the construction or enlargement of a structure; excavation; dredging; filling; dumping; removal of clay, silt, sand, gravel or minerals; bulkheading, driving of pilings; clearing or alteration of land as an adjunct of construction; alteration or removal of sand dunes; alteration of the shore, bank, or bottom of the Atlantic Ocean or any sound, bay, river, creek, stream, lake, or canal; or placement of a floating structure in an area of environmental concern identified in G.S. 113A-113(b)(2) or (b)(5).
You think your feelings got hurt trying to do away with blind laws, pick up that ball and run with it...................
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby echoduck » Wed May 23, 2018 10:30 am

ncdrumchaser wrote:Bull crap on the permit! Not true! If that were the case they would make a fortune in dare and currituck counties!

Ok. Just repeating what I was told by CAMA. Im very cautious of my interactions with them. They are like the IRS you do not want them on your bad side. They fined my neighbor 12,000 dollars for removing a small tree on the shoreline.
echoduck
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed May 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Bufflehead, I have no dogs in this fight, I was just putting out the regulation. I happened to be aware of it because, like EchoDuck, I have seen them take serious action on seemingly minor things. I always call before I do anything on land touching the water or in regards to docks, ramps, and pilings. Our CAMA contact is a very professional and seemingly nice person but he is serious about his job. Same way with the Corps.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby cbrtrvr » Mon May 28, 2018 1:42 pm

No permits here but depending on the area you can use different things. Some blinds here are built with gum trees and 2x4 nailed together. Some build the box then float it out some build the boat hide then the box sitting in the boat.
cbrtrvr
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Tue May 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Doesn't matter what materials you use to construct the blind...the last few winters have been brutal (Chesapeake Bay) and the ice knock down all our big open water blinds. You could pound down case hardened concrete pilings and they wouldn't stand up to the ice. I would try the floating blind rig.
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:32 pm

I was curious about what CAMA would say so I called. Was told that if you made a standard 4x8 box on pilings that no permit was needed.

If you build one and find some interloper is sitting in the blind you built you have to remember, it is not your land, it is not your water and it is not your blind. I would never hunt in someone else's blind but some people will.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting