Saving the Alcoa Game Lands

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Saving the Alcoa Game Lands

Postby LTCNC_Sam » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:31 am

4,700-acres and 76 miles of shoreline owned by ALCOA (A large portion of the Alcoa Game Lands) are up for sale. In September of 2016, The LandTrust for Central NC, in partnership with the NCWRC, were given a 5-year first right of refusal to purchase this property - 3 years to purchase 2,310 acres located along the Yadkin River, South Yadkin River, and High Rock Lake and (upon successfully purchasing the first piece) an additional 2 years to purchase the 2,390 acres along Tuckertown Reservoir. If we fail to raise the necessary funds, this property will be sold to the highest bidder and will no longer be publicly accessible.

I work for The LandTrust for Central North Carolina. We are helping the NCWRC raise the money to purchase this property. The land, if we raise the necessary funds, will be owned exclusively by The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and will remain in the Game Lands program (just like it is today).

As many of you know, this 4,700-acres of undeveloped land along the Yadkin is critical waterfowl habitat. It is also critical waterfowl hunter habitat.

Like I mentioned, we are currently working to conserve the 2,310 acres that are located along the Yadkin River, the South Yadkin River, and High Rock Lake. The purchase price for this land is $7.7 million. The LandTrust and other partners have raised $5.3 million already towards the purchase. That leaves an additional $2.4 million to be raised. We have until September of 2019 (15 months) to raise the remaining funds to purchase the High Rock Lake portion. Again, The LandTrust will not hold title of these lands. They will be owned by the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and will be open for public recreation.

We need North Carolinians, and especially the sportsmen and women of NC, to join us in protecting this wonderful public land. Check out our web page to learn a little more about this project and view maps of the property: https://landtrustcnc.org/alcoa-lands-conservation/
And feel free to give me a call if you have any questions about the project - My name is Sam and our office # is 704-647-0302.
LTCNC_Sam
Newb

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting