Early Season Goose Hunt

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Early Season Goose Hunt

Postby grp626 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Looking to get in a good number of early season goose hunts. Wanted to see if anyone in the greater Charlotte area (within two hours or so, don't mind driving) wanted to get a group together, put some miles on the truck, scout and get in some good shoots. Going to start scouting this upcoming weekend and looking for permission from some local farmers.
grp626
Newb

Re: Early Season Goose Hunt

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi GRP626,

Are you new to North Carolina and/or Hunting?
Not trying to put down your post just some reasonable advice. North Carolina has not been the place, for a number of years now, where a stranger could knock on the friendly farmers door and get permission to hunt. I hear this is possible in some low population states and the hunting mags talk still talk like it is possible.

Almost every inch of ground that is huntable (this excludes land where the owners are adverse to hunting) is leased for hunting. If not the family or friends at church, etc are on it. You are more apt to get shot than receive permission to hunt.

NC has over 37,000 waterfowl hunters say compared to Kansas which has about 8000. It is very difficult now to get permission to hunt land in Kansas now, the good areas are leased.

There are a brazillion deer hunters leasing land in NC. Talk about a butt whipping if some one tried to shoot geese in a field a deer hunter had been watching a big buck all summer. May God have mercy on your soul.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Re: Early Season Goose Hunt

Postby grp626 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:20 am

Been here for about two years, and have had luck in my area. I know down your way things are quite a bit different as Hyde is about as locked up as it gets when it comes to available land.
grp626
Newb

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting