New to NC and Need Help

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

New to NC and Need Help

Postby Jd23ritt » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:10 am

Hey all,

I recently moved down to the Fayettville, NC area from Northern NY where I experienced a plethora of public hunting opportunities and relative open arms to hunt on private land. I'm hoping for help in one of two ways:

I'm not looking to steal anyone's spots, just hoping to get some general knowledge. Regions of the state that hold waterfowl? Regions to avoid? From the internet reading and time on the water fishing so far I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I am going to have to travel or join a club. I'm preferably looking to spend under 2 grand for a club (any recommendations?) or drive less than 3 hours for public opportunities. I'm assuming the best public hunting will be along the coast: Pamlico, Roanoke, or Cape Fear.

If by chance anyone out there is looking for a partner, I have the equipment to support just about any hunt: 21 foot boat with blind, probably 10+ dozen puddle decoys and 6 doz divers. 2 dozen goose floaters and 12 dozen full bodies (mostly real geese sillos but a few dozen full body.) Layouts and A frame. Willing to put in work to get on some birds.

On a side note, I also did a bit of bowfishing in NY with a fair amount of success and have had a rather hard time in the few weeks I have been here. It's in part due to the massive amount of rain and muddy water that I am not used to, but if there are any bow fisherman on here that would like to link up I'm always game.

Thanks!
Jd23ritt
Newb

Re: New to NC and Need Help

Postby echoduck » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:53 pm

NC is terrible but coastal counties are the best. 2k will not get you in anywhere on the coast. Average low end club is 7-10k per member per year. High end club will be 250k-500k buy in with 20-30k annual dues, I am not making up these numbers. Most of the coast is locked up by private land owners. Public waters in NC are not public in numerous coastal counties. Not as easy as just finding birds and hunting them.
echoduck
hunter

Postby CatFan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:33 pm

I know nothing about them but there are some public areas with impoundments down your way. They are permit only and the draw is Oct 1 so check out ncwildelife.org for details. I can’t offer and insights as to how good those places are and no one here is going to help you. That’s just how it is here. And you’ll get scolded for providing any good information about where ducks are.
CatFan
hunter

Postby Clark » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Suggs Mill Pond is in your area. Access requires a permit.

Public waterfowling access to the Outer Banks from VA down to Hatteras is restricted by local game commissions, generally via licensing requirements for stationary or floating blinds.

Public access to much of the western side of Pamlico Sound is restricted by the Landowner Exclusive Hunting Rights law (aka the Safe Hunter law) so you may need to study the regulations for each county in this area. Generally you can hunt these counties as long as you stay more than 500 yards away from any other blind. There can be some sea ducks in this area if you stay more than 800 yards offshore.

If you are not familiar with these regulations, you may choose to contact the local NCWRC enforcement guys for local guidance. After all, it is their interpretations that determine if you get a ticket.
Clark
hunter

Postby Jd23ritt » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. Obviously much different than I’m used to with any navigable water being public. Looks like I’ll be reading some regs and traveling! Good luck this season.
Jd23ritt
Newb

Postby Willie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:09 pm

I’d also look into a deer club that also has ponds or swamps to hunt after deer season.
Willie
hunter

Postby CatFan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:03 pm

Willie wrote:I’d also look into a deer club that also has ponds or swamps to hunt after deer season.

YEah but that only gives him the month of January to hunt.
CatFan
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Suggs is a wood duck shoot. The impoundments are sky busted to death, people set up on top of each other in the pond. It sounds like a kazoo concert the whole morning from all the awful calling. Not worth the effort, Suggs sucks! Lake Waccamaw about an hour south of you might be a good spot to bow fish. I've seen guys bow fish there on the back end near the spillway to the Waccamaw river. The water is always a little dark from the tannic acid of the cypress trees.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Mpierce11 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:49 pm

Jd,
First year hunting here too. Live on the other side of Bragg in so pines. Hit me up if you are still looking to hunt. Haven’t found many folks around here. I did put in for a few permitted hunts. Hopefully, I can land some of those and be off work. Just ordered some new deeks and ready to go. Planning on heading out Saturday for a bit.

Mike
Mpierce11
Newb

Postby BanditBoots » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm at Bragg as well. I've been hitting the coast up when I can. Get in touch with me by PM so we can exchange contact info.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BanditBoots
Newb

Postby daveducky » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:06 pm

For bowfishing try Jordan Lake starting early April for grass carp. They roll in the shallows like crazy although I haven't been bowfishing for at least 6 years when I moved from Wake to Carteret County. I have never seen anyone bowfishing Carteret but with all the skates down here you should be able shoot a bunch. Sorry the duck hunting in NC has gone downhill but I find the public deer hunting better than we had in NY SouthernbTier (Broome Co etc).
daveducky
Newb

Postby spots_2016 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:10 pm

I know it's not bowfishing but on the coast a lot of NC anglers gig for flounder. (I haven't but I heard it is fun)
spots_2016
hunter

Postby CountryboyNC » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Hey, I’m up near Raleigh but send me a PM with your contact. I’m a recruiter so not part of the real Army anymore lol. I know it’s late but maybe I can help you out some.
Livin' Life to it's Fullest...
CountryboyNC
hunter

Postby BigGameBrewer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:53 pm

spots_2016 wrote:I know it's not bowfishing but on the coast a lot of NC anglers gig for flounder. (I haven't but I heard it is fun)

Hands down my favorite thing to do in the summer. stabbing summer floormats is a lot of fun.
BigGameBrewer
hunter

Postby Jeffreysm21 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:15 pm

If anyone can steer me to someone for gigging flounder it would be much appreciated.
Jeffreysm21
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting