Dove population?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Dove population?

Postby spots_2016 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:33 pm

Since dove season has been in I've not seen as near many as last year just won't if anyone else hasn't been seeing em
spots_2016
hunter

Re: Dove population?

Postby CatFan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:37 pm

Same here.
CatFan
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:27 am

Same here. been a few years of low numbers. i think it has to do with the wet summers we have been having. These intense T-storms will blow a dove nest out in a second. Hope its not a disease or something Alot of people arent seeing many doves at all.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby NCGWP » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:34 am

Seeing decent numbers around Raleigh. Whether or not they're frequenting the fields is another question.

But I think the wet summer hasn't helped. Hopefully some cold weather up north will push a few down.
NCGWP
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Just a fraction of what I usually see.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby CatFan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:19 am

NCGWP wrote:Seeing decent numbers around Raleigh. Whether or not they're frequenting the fields is another question.

But I think the wet summer hasn't helped. Hopefully some cold weather up north will push a few down.

oh yeah, I'm seeing quite a few in town but people get all pissy when I start shooting in my subdivision. ;)
CatFan
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:45 pm

From my last several years notes/statistics and what I hear from many many others, including South Carolina DNC, bird numbers are way down. Hope it’s only a cyclical thing.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby quackedout » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:24 pm

From watching a couple of fields near me it seems like weve gotten a lot more doves around in the piedmont since the hurricane.
quackedout
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:33 am

Good number of birds moved in after the storm.
Power line by the house began to fill up on Sunday and doves and geese are feeding in cut corn field behind the house. Seeing lots of big groups of doves flying together and many are holding up to 50 birds a group. Been a long time since I've seen numbers like this around the house.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:45 am

where exactly is that corn field?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:15 am

In your neck of the woods
Lodge
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:13 pm

If you were a farmer with standing corn, you dropped what you were doing and got the combines rolling before this hurricane hit. Lot of corn was picked for this time of year so it wouldn’t surprise me to see bigger concentrations of local birds utilizing good, dry fields. Severe weather does move all types of birds around so this could very well be some new birds too. I think it’s a little early for lots of migrators but who knows.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Lots of corn left on the ground because this was a turn and burn picking the Monday before the storm hit.
This is the 3rd time in 10 years I have noticed numbers of doves moving in directly behind a hurricane or tropical storm and had a banner duck shoot right behind Matthew the other year that was one for the books.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting