New to the area

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

New to the area

Postby Wigeon91 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:19 am

Hey fellow waterfowlers. My name is Seth Myers. Avid hunter. I basically live in the woods when I ain't workin or have plans. I just moved down here an bought a house in Bethel, NC. Been huntin longbeards down here for 5 years because that's my favourite thing to hunt. Then waterfowl and everything else after that. I ain't asking to be best friends and hunt everytime you go out. Because I know y'all got your own group of friends and shooters. But I left all of my huntin spots and came down here to start from scratch because I just love it down here. I'm 27 years old. I have ghg duck floater decoys. Have 3 dozen and a half GHG full body Canada decoys. I also have 300 snow goose decoy setup with GHG full bodies an white rock wind socks. I use rnt for duck calls and Tim grounds for geese. Geese are my favourite to chase more than anything. But I'm on here to see if anybody is in this area an that is looking for another shooter to add to the group or could give me tips on in which I don't expect much because I came from a high pressured area for waterfowl. An basically when you got something in lock down we never opened our mouth because of people sneaking in an trying to take our spots or techniques. I'll be honest I don't know why I'm making this message. But figured it would be the best start for me to try to get to know some hunters an have some new huntin buddies to enjoy the outdoors with since all of mine are back where I came from. Thanks for your time and good luck this year. Feel free to message me to get to know each other. So you can understand I ain't just some guy that expects everything handed to him. I'll bust my butt do what work needs to be done to get birds on the ground. I know that doesn't come with just sittin on your butt. Have a good one!
Wigeon91
Newb

Re: New to the area

Postby CatFan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Welcome to NC. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you won't get much of a favorable response to this request here. For the most part, everyone guards any insights they might have like they are state secrets. Offers to help others is not something I have really seen here unless it has been happening via PMs. Other than that, keep in mind your asking people who don't know you from Adam to let you come along with them in the dark with a loaded weapon. That's a lot to ask. I'm not even 100% comfortable doing that with some people I have known for years.

For the most part, you're on your own. Check public opportunities in your area. The majority of the birds tend to be closer to the coast if you want to head east.
CatFan
hunter

Postby fowlodor » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 am

As long as you are willing to put in the time and effort you won't have any trouble finding birds to far from where you are located.
fowlodor
Newb

Postby Wigeon91 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 pm

Hey thanks for that little bit of info. I totally understand the not knowing part. I would be the same also. With this crazy world we live in. That's why I was hesitant on writing that message. But hey it is what it is. But thank you for the information really do appreciate. I knew it was stretch.
Wigeon91
Newb

Postby greenhead08 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:49 am

Bethel as in perquimans county?
greenhead08
Newb

Postby Wigeon91 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Hey greenhead08. I live in bethel in Pitt county.
Wigeon91
Newb

Postby HydeMarsh » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Once the migration gets going there are a lot of birds east of you within a 2 hour drive. Lot of hunters as well.
The swamps from your home to the coast can have a lot of birds if you can find one that is not being frequently hit and you can gain legal access.

I wish you luck. At least you do not live in Charlotte or Raleigh. You have a legitimate chance if you work at it.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Clark » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:40 am

I'm in Greensboro between Charlotte and Raleigh - how is the migration there?
Clark
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:07 pm

Clark wrote:I'm in Greensboro between Charlotte and Raleigh - how is the migration there?

Dude, I am sorry you live in Greensboro if you are a duck hunter. None of the flyway maps I have seen show it as a waterfowl hotspot. I just hope you have some good local swamps that contain woodies and mallards.

do you have access to spots in Pamlico, Carteret, Dare Currituck or Hyde? I know it is a long drive but birds do migrate to those spots.

I wish you well in your pursuit of ducks. One of my favorite duck hunting cronies lived in Greensboro. He spent December and January in Hyde county.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Clark » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:51 am

I spend a lot of time on the road going to spots from Currituck south to Morehead City. I use the NCWRC permits when I can get one, and mostly hunt the game land sounds the rest of the time. Typical hunt is to leave Greensboro late Fri, drive 4-5 hours, launch the boat and hunt until 1 on Sat, then pick up and drive home. No Sunday waterfowlng in NC so it is a one-day thing. Hunt alone a lot, can't find too many people willing to put in the miles, my son suffers with me sometimes. The drive makes it tough to scout, so I mostly just pick spots that have been productive in the past and hope there are birds around - not very effective.
Clark
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting