Mattamuskeet

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Mattamuskeet

Postby OUTATIME » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Is there anything special I need to know before going to mattamuskeet for the first time? I got blinds 14 and 6. What’s the water depth depth and what kind of weights for my rigs on my decoys? Would a kayak be helpful there if I shot a bird and it soared out a little ways? I know there is a 30 shell limit per person, and I know it’s not really a good hunting spot as it used to be in the past (last two years it seems have sucked) but I still want to hunt it because I have never before. Thanks
OUTATIME
hunter

Re: Mattamuskeet

Postby Dingbatter » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Pack as light as possible as it can be a death march to get to some blinds. I don't think 14 is a very long walk but not sure about blind 6. Even if its not a long walk the mud can be bottomless muck that will suck you up with ever step. A decoy sled is a good idea a garden cart or wagon is better to carry all your gear until you hit the muck. Texas rig your decoys as the water depth usually isn't very deep unless it been really rainy. I don't think I would worry about taking a boat to chase cripples.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby OUTATIME » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 am

I have mostly 36inch Texas rigs with 4oz weights, should that do good? If not I have some 48inch with 6oz but just not rigged on my decoys now and don’t want to switch them if I don’t need to.
OUTATIME
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:04 am

Your 36” rigs will be fine. Walk to 14 is short and easy. It’s a shore blind that might be better than most of the others along that stretch but nothing I’ve gotten excited about in the past years. Blind 6 is an impoundment blind, you’re walk is about 60 yards, lol. They (5 and 6) use to be the laughing stock of all the blinds but quite frankly the kill numbers from them the last several years has been decent. Strong wind helps those blinds out tremendously.
Good luck, not much, if any SAV on the lake anymore so curious as to how that’s going to play out.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:53 pm

Leave Your gun at home, and your decoys and park on the side of highway 94, drink a cup of coffee and watch the sunrise. Then you will have spent a lot less energy for the same results.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby echoduck » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Lowest number of birds I’ve ever seen at Mattamuskett on opening day. Talked to some old timers and they mirrored that opinion. Seems like each year just gets worse.
echoduck
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:53 pm

echoduck wrote:Lowest number of birds I’ve ever seen at Mattamuskett on opening day. Talked to some old timers and they mirrored that opinion. Seems like each year just gets worse.

Yep, and until the grass comes back (which will never happen) tye hunting and fishing will be terrible in that area. It's amazing how 1 body of water can affect that whole vast area of the coast......but in the last few years Matt and the sound area surrounding it has been bad.
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby CatFan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Since they have to read every waterfowl regulation ever written to you before you can go, plan to be in a hurry. If first like is coming, don’t waste time on decoys. Get in the blind and hope a duck flies over.
CatFan
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:35 pm

My Hyde County host says they show up in numbers on the first full moon in November. 23 Nov is the next one
Paul26
hunter

Postby NCGWP » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:24 am

DuckMauler wrote:
echoduck wrote:Lowest number of birds I’ve ever seen at Mattamuskett on opening day. Talked to some old timers and they mirrored that opinion. Seems like each year just gets worse.

Yep, and until the grass comes back (which will never happen) tye hunting and fishing will be terrible in that area. It's amazing how 1 body of water can affect that whole vast area of the coast......but in the last few years Matt and the sound area surrounding it has been bad.

Getting the grass back should be easy. You kill the carp.

You either drain the lake or posion the fish. I guess you could intensively net as well.

I've seen what it did at a similar spot. Swan Lake, in Minnesota, is an equally historic old Refuge/lake. It was an awful, awful spot for awhile. 8 years or so ago, they drained it, the carp died, they let it refill, and its again a good duck hunting spot.
NCGWP
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm

The problem with the SAV in the lake is not with the carp, rather it’s with the eutrofication of the water caused by runoff from the surrounding farmland fields into the area watersheds. It’s now such a problem that the grass is all but gone. Fortunately, biologist and such have been working together looking for solutions to the problem. It’s going to take some time but the health of the lake is paramount for the economy of Hyde Co. There are numerous articles relating to the lake’s issues that can be found by doing an internet search on Lake Mattamuskeet SAV. Below is a very detailed study.

https://www.fws.gov/southeast/pdf/prese ... -grass.pdf
Shurshot
hunter

Postby echoduck » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:27 am

They are still trying to collect donations to have the research performed. I’ve been told by many it doesn’t look good. This should have occurred long ago. Hyde county is on the way out. It’s not a coincidence you are seeing tracts for sell in hyde you would not have previously seen. Guys don’t want to be stuck with hundreds of acres in impoundments in a region with no birds. Of course, you won’t hear that from real estate guys who are trying to move properties.
echoduck
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:18 pm

echoduck wrote:They are still trying to collect donations to have the research performed. I’ve been told by many it doesn’t look good. This should have occurred long ago. Hyde county is on the way out. It’s not a coincidence you are seeing tracts for sell in hyde you would not have previously seen. Guys don’t want to be stuck with hundreds of acres in impoundments in a region with no birds. Of course, you won’t hear that from real estate guys who are trying to move properties.

100% agree! The place has gone to crap.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:22 am

NCGWP wrote:
DuckMauler wrote:

Getting the grass back should be easy. You kill the carp.

You either drain the lake or posion the fish. I guess you could intensively net as well.

I've seen what it did at a similar spot. Swan Lake, in Minnesota, is an equally historic old Refuge/lake. It was an awful, awful spot for awhile. 8 years or so ago, they drained it, the carp died, they let it refill, and its again a good duck hunting spot.

Carp have NOTHING to do with the demise of lake mattamuskeet. The grass was gone long before carp were in the lake. The last year that the lake had a good amount of grass in it was like 1999. It was a bass fishing/duck Mecca back then. Greatest bass fishery I've ever seen to he exact. I remember the day I went there only to find a murky looking body of water and NO grass.....and NO bass......it almost makes me cry every time I pass over hwy 94. What a waste and one that could've been prevented. But that's what we do in NC, destroy great fisheries/resources.
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby OUTATIME » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:11 pm

I got blind 14 tomorrow and a 10mph NE wind. Blind is facing Norh Is what I believe so I might want to switch if I can. Any suggestions on which ones? Still hoping for the best. Also it says for the first youth day I have to check in before 10am and I can't hunt till 1pm and I get to hunt to sunset. Does that sound about right? If I have to get there before 10am and can't hunt till 1pm that seems like there will be a lot of extra time...?
OUTATIME
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:12 pm

I’m sure there will be an “orientation” after 10 on the do’s and dont’s. That will take awhile. Then it will take awhile to get to the blinds and get set up. Really shouldn’t take that long, guess they do that to accommodate the youths.
As for blinds, most winds out the north anything will be their face. Doubt you’ll have many chances to change blinds but there are a couple of lake blinds that would be ok, in addition to the 3 impoundment blinds on a NE wind. But at only 10 mph, that’s not bad for the whole area.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby OUTATIME » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks! Wondering why they chose to do the first hunt there a afternoon hunt? Saturday (day two) is normal with your able to hunt all morning to noon. Isn’t it two morning hunts for all other draws? Do you think it could be more productive? I’ll be sure to let y’all know how it turns out!
OUTATIME
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Always better for 2 consecutive am hunts but that’s always the way I’ve known them to do it for youths. Lot of birds around, you should get some opps being first day there. Enjoy it, I’ve had decades of great times there as it’s a beautiful place.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby OUTATIME » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:27 pm

This evening was a heck of a bird watch. Most swans I’ve ever seen! Bird hunting was.. well one Merganser. Also had the opportunity of a Drake wigeon that wanted to do it bad but we’re throwing the decoys back out farther. Also just want to put out there 10mph NE wind makes the lake rough enough 36inch rigs and 4 oz weight drift right back to you. Had to move them back out every 30 minutes which wasn’t good. The hard wind in the face hurt significantly and feel like with all the action we saw of ducks flying there we would have done good if the wind was different.
OUTATIME
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:54 am

How did Saturday’s hunt go?
Shurshot
hunter

Postby OUTATIME » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Unfortunately I had other obligations that I couldn't hunt there Saturday.
OUTATIME
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting