Morgan Futch

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Morgan Futch

Postby Jeffreysm21 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:08 am

Have hunted Carolina Soundside most of my life but just recently got selected for Morgan Futch blind 10 and 11. I have a swan permit as well. I will be going tomorrow and Christmas Eve. Does anyone have any reports or any advice? It is greatly appreciated.
Jeffreysm21
hunter

Re: Morgan Futch

Postby echoduck » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:11 pm

No offense, but no one is going to give you bird reports over an open forum. This happens every season.
echoduck
hunter

Postby Jeffreysm21 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 pm

none taken, but I didn’t know reports for selected permit hunts were kept secret as If it were a place any hunter can go willingly. Unfortunately I can’t drive three hours to scout. Anyhow———-

Does anyone have any advice that they would publicly be willing to share

THANKS
Jeffreysm21
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Bring a case of shells and melt the gun barrel :hammer:
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Don't drive 3 hours to hunt futch. I got screwed once by guys who drove 5 hours. Came all that way just to mess up my hunt by setting up 75 yards directly in front of us. Not saying you would do something like that or even could now with the blinds. That was back when that place was good. Now it's an easy hunt where everyone gets there own little blind to skybust and shoot coots. I really used to like to hunt that place. Now we don't even go and my camp is less than 30 minutes away.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:34 pm

Why do people apply for hunts that they can't make the trip to scout? The only hunts that I apply for are less than an hour from where I stay, just got 1 draw this year.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Clark » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Why bother to scout if you have an assigned blind and can't move to the birds?
Clark
hunter

Postby echoduck » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:15 am

Clark wrote:Why bother to scout if you have an assigned blind and can't move to the birds?

Better question: Why bother applying for Futch in the first place?
echoduck
hunter

Postby NCGWP » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:36 am

Clark wrote:Why bother to scout if you have an assigned blind and can't move to the birds?

A lot of reasons...Not the least of which, so that you know where/how to get where you need to get. Ideally, you go out before they close it to scouters so you can walk the path. Even knowing the exact coordinates it can get tricky finding a blind you've never been to in the dark. And knowing which path to take is equally important. I spent 40 minutes going 200 yards. Not fun.
NCGWP
hunter

Postby Clark » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:13 pm

echoduck wrote:Better question: Why bother applying for Futch in the first place?

You stole my next line!

NCGWP, Roger! Several years ago I turned right when I should have turned left, missed the blid by a few yards and walked to the end of the pond.
Clark
hunter

Postby merg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Can't get lost at Futch- they got a sign every 30 feet directing you to your blind.
merg
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:18 am

merg wrote:Can't get lost at Futch- they got a sign every 30 feet directing you to your blind.

Yup
If you can't look at the NCWRC game land maps, aerial maps, and follow the signs, then there is no hope for you.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby NCGWP » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:57 am

merg wrote:Can't get lost at Futch- they got a sign every 30 feet directing you to your blind.

Still helps to know "how" to get there...The signs at one permit impoundment got me there, but the trek was a nightmare. No regrets, I'll put in again next year, but I'll have a better plan.

RE Futch, could one Take a canoe to their blind?
NCGWP
hunter

Postby merg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:57 am

NCGWP wrote:

Still helps to know "how" to get there...The signs at one permit impoundment got me there, but the trek was a nightmare. No regrets, I'll put in again next year, but I'll have a better plan.

I only hunted it once but from what I recall, no, a canoe would not work unless you want to drag it down the path.
We rolled into the parking lot, had not scouted, looked at the big map posted there, followed the signs down a wide, solid, mowed path to the impoundment and blind.
Only way it could have easier is if they had ushers to golf cart you to your blind. I did see guys on bicycles, guys pulling wheeled carts, guys toting 3 bags of dekes apiece collapsed on the path, dudes with more calls round their neck than decoys in their sack, plenty of Drake pro staffers, clad head to toe, in all the latest styles and several 'fowlers' determined to sight their blind from the parking lot with 5 billion lumens spotlights.
All in all, a unique experience that you couldn't pay me to endure again.
merg
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Good stuff there Merg!
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 am

merg wrote:
NCGWP wrote:

I only hunted it once but from what I recall, no, a canoe would not work unless you want to drag it down the path.
We rolled into the parking lot, had not scouted, looked at the big map posted there, followed the signs down a wide, solid, mowed path to the impoundment and blind.
Only way it could have easier is if they had ushers to golf cart you to your blind. I did see guys on bicycles, guys pulling wheeled carts, guys toting 3 bags of dekes apiece collapsed on the path, dudes with more calls round their neck than decoys in their sack, plenty of Drake pro staffers, clad head to toe, in all the latest styles and several 'fowlers' determined to sight their blind from the parking lot with 5 billion lumens spotlights.

That is great stuff :beer: :scooter:
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Clark » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:35 am

Been a few years since I hunted Futch but a canoe with a dolly makes a great trailer on the flat dike tops. We were walking around the guys dragging or carrying in their gear, and I'm an old guy! We left the canoe on the dike, but since there are places one cannot walk across the v-ditches it may help to retrieve a bird.
Clark
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:18 pm

merg wrote:
NCGWP wrote:

A bicycle was key especially back in the first come first serve days. I was usually in there right at 4 but we would get to our spot quick. I am sure it was a sight seeing me on the bike with my waders over my shoulders and a small bag of decoys on my back. The two other guys brought up the rear with all the stuff. Game carts were crucial as well. Man those were the days hahaha
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting