Harris Lake

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Harris Lake

Postby NCBUTTERBALL » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:30 am

Hey NC Waterfowlers,

Quick question. Was thinking about hunting the coast this weekend, but not sure if it's worth it. I have noticed that the famed Harris Lake in Holly Springs is yet to hold substantial numbers of coots and grebes, which from my experience directly correlates with the overall NC Migration. The Cormorants are there, but even those are in smaller numbers than I would desire for the final split. So I guess overall I'd like to caution everyone not to waste their time, as well ask if I am possibly wrong. If you are in fact seeing numbers at the coast and have an extra spot in the blind, pm me lololololol.

Stay safe, and smack em down.

-Carhartt Pro Staff
-ECW Prostaff
NCBUTTERBALL
hunter

Re: Harris Lake

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:09 am

Near 60 degree temps in late Dec speaks for itself
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby CatFan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:38 pm

I’m not sure Harris will be a good barameter anymore. They are killing it the hydrilla which was a big draw for the ducks. I just started hunting a couple years ago but a bud of mine said it is nothing like it used to be. I didn’t hunt Harris this weekend but I did see a lot of ducks in the area.
CatFan
hunter

Postby Willie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:29 pm

I’m less than 10 minutes from the new hill ramp and am out there pretty regularly. The lake doesn’t hold a candle to what it was like 10 years+ ago. When the grass started dying, the birds (any and all) quit coming.
Personally, I don’t mess with the foolishness out there anymore...just not worth it.
Willie
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:12 pm

I would consider looking at the weather forecast for the coast before packing up and heading there this weekend. The wind is going to blow pretty good, maybe to much for it to be safe.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:55 pm

The coast near Lowlands is loaded with ducks. Just pull your boat up to the bank almost anywhere in the sound there and get a quick limit.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Do not waste your time or effort with harris. The grass has long since been gone and so have the Ducks. That place used to be pretty special but now it is just another Dead Sea. as someone else stated if you head to the coast be careful because the wind is supposed to blow this weekend after this front. Don't have high expectations regardless of where you go.
Last edited by DuckMauler on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Pamlico Sound Saturday SW winds 20 -25 knots gusting to 30. I'll bet a dollar on a donut somebody in a small jon boat overloaded with 3 or 4 hunters, dog, guns & decoys will go out in this. Happens every year and somebody gets fished out by the coast guard.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Clark » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:58 pm

Dingbatter wrote: somebody gets fished out by the coast guard.

Or not.
Clark
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Dingbatter wrote:Pamlico Sound Saturday SW winds 20 -25 knots gusting to 30. I'll bet a dollar on a donut somebody in a small jon boat overloaded with 3 or 4 hunters, dog, guns & decoys will go out in this. Happens every year and somebody gets fished out by the coast guard.

Yep, it happens every single year. is all of that really worth it over a bufflehead?
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting