The Effect Of Hurricane Flo on The Ducks

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

The Effect Of Hurricane Flo on The Ducks

Postby BigGameBrewer » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:53 pm

Hey folks,

Anyone seen the effects the hurricane has had on the birds? I live in Trenton and the water on the creeks, rivers and swamps I hunt in Jones and Lenoir County is HIGH! We also can't get a break from the rain. Might be my imagination, but the ducks just dont seem to be diggin
BigGameBrewer
hunter

Re: The Effect Of Hurricane Flo on The Ducks

Postby gonewinchester » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:40 pm

I live in Onslow, I would say yes. The water is stupid high and lying everywhere. My wood duck holes are crap this year Bc of so much water everywhere they can be anywhere they want
Wings Cupped..........Feet Down.......Smok'em Boys!!!!!
gonewinchester
hunter

Postby CatFan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:13 am

At least in my area, I think we’re just struggling with having to much water from the more or less continual rain this fall. As stated, the ducks can go anywhere so their less concentrated and harder to target.
CatFan
hunter

Postby BigGameBrewer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:39 pm

All I know is that they are everywhere but where they usually are. I have holes where I normally see 40-50 per morning and now I am seeing 1-2. Looks like they are getting a pass this year.
BigGameBrewer
hunter

Postby cbrtrvr » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:05 pm

I live in Knotts Island the water here is still muddy and the grass is nonexistent. All summer long grass everywhere we were excited. High tide 2 hurricanes later no grass anywhere. So sad to say no ducks either.
cbrtrvr
hunter

Postby BigGameBrewer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:19 pm

I am building out a taproom in Kinston beside Neuse Sport Shop and we thought it very strange that we are seeing rafts of blue bills in the pond......very strange
BigGameBrewer
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 am

I have never seen the New River so devoid of pretty much anything this late into the season (save the years of the deep freezes...like last year...when they all left). I have had plenty of years where I see them but can't shoot them.......this year I am not even seeing them.

I've given up on that River and will head elsewhere for the last 3 weeks.

This will be another year where I fire more rounds in 2 days in Hyde County on the last weekend than i do the rest of the year combined in Onslow/Carteret.

The storm? Maybe. I guess. Perhaps. Who the hell knows? I know from working with the Dept of Shellfish Sanitation that the water quality in Bogue Sound was still lousy as late as early November at the beginning of oyster season.

I know from various sources that the oyster fisherman in Onslow/Carteret took a massive hit from the storm.....I was told that millions died from being buried in silt. Many of the oysters being sold this year are coming from points north.

It stands to reason, I suppose, that if oyster beds were buried in silt then the river bottoms that the bbills hunt for food in were impacted as well.
Paul26
hunter

Postby BigGameBrewer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Paul26 wrote:I have never seen the New River so devoid of pretty much anything this late into the season (save the years of the deep freezes...like last year...when they all left). I have had plenty of years where I see them but can't shoot them.......this year I am not even seeing them.

I've given up on that River and will head elsewhere for the last 3 weeks.

This will be another year where I fire more rounds in 2 days in Hyde County on the last weekend than i do the rest of the year combined in Onslow/Carteret.

The storm? Maybe. I guess. Perhaps. Who the hell knows? I know from working with the Dept of Shellfish Sanitation that the water quality in Bogue Sound was still lousy as late as early November at the beginning of oyster season.

I know from various sources that the oyster fisherman in Onslow/Carteret took a massive hit from the storm.....I was told that millions died from being buried in silt. Many of the oysters being sold this year are coming from points north.

It stands to reason, I suppose, that if oyster beds were buried in silt then the river bottoms that the bbills hunt for food in were impacted as well.

Well that makes a lotta sense. Theyve been there every morning for the past week.
BigGameBrewer
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting