Coot

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Coot

Postby Jeffreysm21 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:12 pm

I am a die hard coot hunter; scoff all you may want but I have been putting in for the quota hunts for ten years and only got 4 draws we got a couple Pintail, widgeon and swan but no coot. Very disappointed. Does anyone know of anywhere other than the impoundments I can get some meat for some of my grandmothers coot stew? I have two dozen coot decoys and the few times I’ve been drawn it seems like the stupid Pintail are drawn to them. Any help is greatly appreciated. Trying to keep trash ducks from what I want.
Jeffreysm21
hunter

Re: Coot

Postby spots_2016 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Lake Waccamaw has tons of coots in it and alligators
spots_2016
hunter

Postby Jeffreysm21 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:54 pm

Problem is while retrieving coots there last year my dog buckingham IV got his leg bit off by a gator. He is still rather efficient but the trouble getting his name changed to Buckingham III through AKC was quite the ordeal
Jeffreysm21
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:53 pm

This has the makings of a good thread! Tell me, what else is in nana’s stew? And I want to hear more about buckingham 33 and a third.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:59 pm

Best thread I've seen on here in a longggggggggg time. Well, we "used" to have coots.....and tons of them on our lakes that "had" grass......but the ncwrc saw to it that we didn't hunt coots into extinction and there aren't many that visit our waters any more. I seriously like eating and shooting the little dudes......I remember the days of pulling out 12 ducks and 30 coots on an average hunt......miss those days. Duck hunting in NC just flat out sout sucks these days.....can't even kill a coot. When I hunted regularly I used coot decoys almost exclusively.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Jeffreysm21 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:14 pm

well you see Buckingham III was chasing after a downed coot and being he is a yellow lab I can only imagine the gator thought his leg was a big juicy piece of chicken floating through the water, the gator tries giving him the death roll and Buckingham III with his eye on the prize, (the coot) escapes the gators jaws knowing the reward awaiting him beyond the gators reach. He brings the coot back I use my wader belt as a tourniquet, because coots are still rolling in like thunder.

As for my grandmothers recipe, it is a family recipe but she might be willing to give you a few pointers. She is on here under user name BootCootBoogie
Jeffreysm21
hunter

Postby cbrtrvr » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 pm

There is no blue peters here again this year. But skinned and deep fried is the only way to eat them. oh yeah a side of fried gizzards yum yum
cbrtrvr
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:10 am

cbrtrvr wrote:There is no blue peters here again this year. But skinned and deep fried is the only way to eat them. oh yeah a side of fried gizzards yum yum

We used to always get the gizzards.....much better than chicken gizzards
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 am

A thread which the Administrator should keep forever. I've re-read it x3 and laughed harder each time
Paul26
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 pm

My all time favorite is Coot-ka-bobs. with bacon, peppers and all kinds of other stuff depending on what is in the frig. Breast em, cube em, douse them with bbq sauce and put em on the grill. They may cut pintails back to one next year but Hopefully the coot limit will be 15. However, I did kill more pintails than coots this year.

Last year I did make a spectacular shot on a flying coot (who knew). Was not able to duplicate this year. coot numbers seemed down in the sound. The best hunt I had was last Saturday afternoon at the Skeet refuge impoundment just off 94. With the fed's furloughed it was a great afternoon. why shoot wigeon and gadwall when you can load the truck with coots.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby DOT3 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:48 pm

I named my boat Coot DeVille in honor of the ivory billed teal.
DOT3
hunter

Postby Jeffreysm21 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:16 pm

^ that is awesome
Jeffreysm21
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting