Hyde County

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Hyde County

Postby jdbdkhr » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:24 pm

Anybody know anything about this

You are here : Home > All News > Public Hearing Notice: Proposed Duck LegislationE-mailPrint
Public Hearing Notice: Proposed Duck Legislation
02/19/2019 - On Monday, March 4, 2019 beginning at 6:00 p.m. (or as soon thereafter as possible), the Hyde County Board of Commissioners will conduct a public hearing concerning a potential legislative act to provide for safe distances for hunting migratory wild waterfowl in mainland portions of Hyde County.

This act proposes to make it unlawful to take migratory wild waterfowl within 500 yards of another person’s permanently established hunting location except:

1. On property of which he is the landholder or has the landholder’s permission to hunt; or
2. Within the riparian water area of property of which he is the landholder or has the landholder’s permission to hunt; or
3. If he comes within 500 yards of another person’s permanently established hunting location only after legally shooting at migratory wild waterfowl and while in active pursuit of a visible, crippled bird.

A “permanently established hunting location” is a blind, float, raft, mat or other buoyant craft or any other location, position, or device that is permanently established for hunting migratory wild waterfowl at a specific site by:

1. The landholder of the property; or
2. The riparian landholder, if the site is on or in water and hunting rights in that water are not controlled by someone other than the riparian landholder; or
3. A person who has written permission to establish the permanent site from a landholder who would qualify under subdivisions (1) or (2).

This act would apply to the mainland area of Hyde County and does not apply to Ocracoke Island.

A full version of the proposed legislation can be found by clicking here.
jdbdkhr
hunter

Re: Hyde County

Postby black_duck » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:32 pm

It's about time. Hope it passes
Psalms 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

The duck hunters bible verse
black_duck
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:45 pm

Blackduck, Why and I do mean WHY would you support such a corrupt law? Do you hunt the sound there? Do you realize unless you own land you could be shut out of a lot of areas. The sound is owned by all of us and we all have a right to hunt it.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:07 am

Blackduck should read up on and become familiar with the NC public trust doctrine
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby MuddyWaterWalker » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:35 am

This is a terrible law to even try and vote in. How can you only involve half the county(Mainland Only?) The only way this seems remotely fair is if a hefty yearly fee($250 or more per blind on property) is imposed on those who build blinds, the blinds are GPS marked on maps(for all to see) and they must be being ACTIVELY used before another hunter shows up and deploys his hunting gear. No one can make another move if they have established there "spot" for their hunt. If blinds are placed every 200 yards just to ward off hunters then this is extremely wrong. We all have the right to hunt where there is public waters and I don't have a problem respecting distance to another hunter, however, I do take issue where no hunter exist. Everyone should show up and shut this down.
MuddyWaterWalker
Newb

Postby Shurshot » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:05 pm

The first three bolded paragraphs pretty much sums up what Public Doctrine in NC means as it relates to this thread. “Opinions” however may vary ....

https://www.coastalreview.org/2016/09/p ... wns-beach/
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Steelshot Scott » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:57 am

My name is Scott Tolar, I live in Kinston. I have been fighting the Safe Hunter Law in Pamlico and Carteret Counties since the 1990's. So when I tell you what will happen and how corrupt the system is, it is from experience with this very law.

Soon there will be no spots without blinds. The entire western shore of the Pamlico Sound is off limits from the south shore of the Pamlico River to the north shore of the Nuese River, including the entirety of Bay River. Almost exclusively tied up by one rich carpet bagger and a exclusive hunting club. If this law spreads to Hyde, fake blinds will be erected every 450 yards and all water will be unhuntable for almost 1/2 mile offshore.

This is a call to arms. I just became aware that this situation had arisen, but that is the way it is. They are required to make a public announcement, but they try to be as low key as is possible and get it slid through so quickly that by the time we realize what is happening it is too late. It is possible to stop a unjust law like this from being passed, but once it does, it is nearly impossible to get it repealed. The people supporting laws like this have deep pockets and politicians are easily bought. Most of our corrupt lawmakers are not even expensive to purchase. Once a local law is on the books, our politicians have a hands off policy towards local county laws. Then the rich landowners need only pay off local politicians and law enforcement to keep it on the books and enforce it, not every politician in the state.

Once a law like this passes, landowners call hire local "gamekeepers"(reminiscent of what the landed gentry does in England)to harass anyone who tries to hunt in the area that they deem theirs. This law shields the gamekeeper from hunter harassment laws.

That case we all heard about where the man attacked groups of hunters because they were hunting in his area off the Alligator River? Got in the boat with them, struck one in the face and tried to throw their outboard in the water? In that case, the attacker was charged with a crime. Pass this law and the victims would be the ones who would be charged.

The chance to stop this is now. We have one shot.

THEY ARE COUNTING ON YOU LACKING THE COURAGE AND MOTIVATION TO STOP THEM. THEY ARE COUNTING ON THEIR MONEY AND POWER TO KEEP IT ONCE THEY GET IT. IF THIS LAW PASSES, IT IS BECAUSE YOU SAT THERE AND LET IT HAPPEN. WE NEED TO MAKE SO MUCH NOISE THAT THEY CAN'T GET THIS GRAB OF PUBLIC WATER PASSED.

Edmund Burke said "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing".

It is what they are counting on. You going home and sitting in your recliner while they pass this law. We have blocked this law from spreading to Beaufort and Craven, we must stop it here. It is a cancer, when it is through spreading there will be no hunting left for the taxpayers, only for the landed gentry.
Steelshot Scott
hunter

Postby Steelshot Scott » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:31 pm

This shows as my first post, but I was on this site many years ago.
Steelshot Scott
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Scott, you might also want to hit the nchuntfish site too. Big thread on it.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Steelshot Scott » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:23 pm

OK
Steelshot Scott
hunter

Postby Steelshot Scott » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:30 pm

I went there and registered,but they said I have insufficient privileges to reply there.
Steelshot Scott
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:26 pm

Just keep posting anything until you qualify. Understand the sites prerequisites but it can be overcome quickly.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby echoduck » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:29 pm

jdbdkhr wrote:Anybody know anything about this

You are here : Home > All News > Public Hearing Notice: Proposed Duck LegislationE-mailPrint
Public Hearing Notice: Proposed Duck Legislation
02/19/2019 - On Monday, March 4, 2019 beginning at 6:00 p.m. (or as soon thereafter as possible), the Hyde County Board of Commissioners will conduct a public hearing concerning a potential legislative act to provide for safe distances for hunting migratory wild waterfowl in mainland portions of Hyde County.

This act proposes to make it unlawful to take migratory wild waterfowl within 500 yards of another person’s permanently established hunting location except:

1. On property of which he is the landholder or has the landholder’s permission to hunt; or
2. Within the riparian water area of property of which he is the landholder or has the landholder’s permission to hunt; or
3. If he comes within 500 yards of another person’s permanently established hunting location only after legally shooting at migratory wild waterfowl and while in active pursuit of a visible, crippled bird.

A “permanently established hunting location” is a blind, float, raft, mat or other buoyant craft or any other location, position, or device that is permanently established for hunting migratory wild waterfowl at a specific site by:

1. The landholder of the property; or
2. The riparian landholder, if the site is on or in water and hunting rights in that water are not controlled by someone other than the riparian landholder; or
3. A person who has written permission to establish the permanent site from a landholder who would qualify under subdivisions (1) or (2).

This act would apply to the mainland area of Hyde County and does not apply to Ocracoke Island.

A full version of the proposed legislation can be found by clicking here.

Ocracoke was left out of the legislation in exchange for a vote in the affirmative by their commissioner. You thought the corrupt folks were only in Washington D.C. If this passes all hunters need to stay out of Hyde. No guides, no leases, don’t even buy fuel or food in their piece of crap county. Let their economy tank even further.
echoduck
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:24 am

Interesting. Was curious why it was only a “safety” issue on mainland Hyde but not on Ocracoke, even though both areas are comprised of marses, shorelines, and the Pamlico Sound ...which will basically be off limits for most if this eventually becomes law.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Steelshot Scott » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:36 am

The reason the "safety" issue is selective in this case is that the people who are pushing this law don't own land on Ocracoke. They want to grab the public water where they own land and still allow them to hunt in Ocracoke where they don't own land. It points out the hypocrisy and the dishonesty of this law.

The people who support this are selfishly attempting to seize public property in order to appropriate the hunting in NC for their exclusive use. They are deserving of the natural resources of our state, we are not.

OUR TAX DOLLARS GO TO BUILD BOAT RAMPS, PATROL THE WATERS, MAINTAIN THE WATERS AND IMPROVE THE WATERS. OUR TAX DOLLARS ARE BEING SPENT TO IMPROVE HABITAT AND EVEN TO SUBSIDIZE THEIR PRIVATE IMPOUNDMENTS. WE ARE NOT ASKING TO USE THEIR IMPOUNDMENTS, THEY ARE ATTEMPTING TO THROW US OFF OUR PUBLIC WATER. WE ARE NOT ON THEIR PROPERTY WHEN WE HUNT, BUT THEY ARE SHOOTING DUCKS OVER OUR PROPERTY WHEN THEY HUNT THE PUBLIC WATER.

Remember that. It is our property they are attempting to seize for their exclusive use.

Show up at the courthouse in Swan Quarter on Mon. I heard the times both as 6pm and 7pm, I will be there are 6pm to play it safe.

If you sit and home and let this happen, you have no right to complain when you have no where to hunt. Freedom of speech is a right, it has been payed for by the blood of patriots. To sit there and do nothing in the face of injustice is a affront to their sacrifice.
Steelshot Scott
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Everyone is strongly encouraged to help try to prevent this from becoming law in Hyde Co.
Please take a couple minutes of your time and send a email to voice your opinion.

If you would like to submit public comment and can not attend the Public Hearing, please email those comments to [email protected] Those comments will be provided to all board members and the Hyde County Manager and considered moving forward.
I kill more ducks in one week on public water than you and your "Crews" or "Teams" would even think of killing all season. I work hard, scout and abide by the law...but still kill the crap out of ducks.
Drop Zone » Fri Oct 31, 2014
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Steelshot Scott » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:08 pm

It is not bought and paid for until it is on the books. If we block it before it gets on the books, they will not be able accomplish their goal.

Everyone agrees the law in Pamlico and Carteret Counties is a bad law. Everyone agrees if violates the Public Trust Doctrine. But once it is on the books, politicians will not touch a law that is a local law. Only the local Representative or Senator can introduce legislation to repeal it. They are not going to do this, the supporters of this law are big contributors to their reelections.

I and a few others blocked a effort about 20 years ago to bring the law to Beaufort County.There was a recommendation to introduce legislation to bring the SHL to Beaufort. About 5 people showed up at the WRC meeting and by the time we spoke and the majority of the crowd(who were there mostly to talk about changes to a bear hunting law) heard about the SHL, there was so much outcry they scrapped it. And the majority of hunters there were not even duck hunters, they were outraged that rich landowners had made such a selfish grab of public water. In Craven County about 2 years ago they attempted to slip the law in, but a better educated public, now aware of the insidious nature of the SHL, melted down their e-mail servers and phone lines and they dropped it as well. I talked to one of the county commissioners, he was not a hunter and did not know about the SHL. He thought it actually was about hunter safety when it was brought to him. Once he found out the truth, he withdrew support.

We must remain vigilant. The cancerous spread of this law must be addressed every time it arises. If we let down our guard, even for a moment, they will slide it into another county.

The picture you see here is a sign at the boat ramp in Hobucken announcing that all the land from Pamlico Point to Bay River is all a "permanently established hunting location" and that anyone who hunts there will be prosecuted. The rich carpet bagger that owns this land does not even live in NC and rarely hunts there. This is what we are opposing the spread of.

The other document is a copy of a threatening flyer left under my windshield wiper at the same boat ramp.

The last is a letter sent to my house by the main abuser of the SHL in Pamlico County, James Johnson of Virginia. It is threatening to have my license PERMENENTLY revoked if I hunt Mr. Johnson's "duck hunting area". His "duck hunting area" is our public trust waters. Note they admit I never set foot on his land. I was in a float (actually a boat blind) blind in pubic trust waters.
Attachments
letter 2.JPG
letter.JPG
warning flyer.JPG
Sign.JPG
Steelshot Scott
hunter

Postby Steelshot Scott » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:39 am

For those who are not already aware, Hyde County is at least temporarily halted movement on the SHL. But the key factor here is that it is not dead, it is just not being voted on at this time. We must remain vigilant.

They want to do something, but I think they were surprised by the overwhelming opposition to this law. It was not just a majority of people opposing it, it was a tsunami of opposition.

That does not change the fact that there are people(i.e. a handful of rich landowners)that want this law.

This law is a cancer that will spread to every county if we do not pay attention. Not only does it require you to pay attention, you must be willing to actually participate in preventing it.

If they attempted to pass a SHL in Boone, I would drive there and object. There is no location too far for me to show up to oppose this law.

We need to resolve ourselves to fight this kind of law, even when it is not convenient.
Steelshot Scott
hunter

Postby MakeApile » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:53 am

Steelshot Scott wrote:For those who are not already aware, Hyde County is at least temporarily halted movement on the SHL. But the key factor here is that it is not dead, it is just not being voted on at this time. We must remain vigilant.

They want to do something, but I think they were surprised by the overwhelming opposition to this law. It was not just a majority of people opposing it, it was a tsunami of opposition.

That does not change the fact that there are people(i.e. a handful of rich landowners)that want this law.

This law is a cancer that will spread to every county if we do not pay attention. Not only does it require you to pay attention, you must be willing to actually participate in preventing it.

If they attempted to pass a SHL in Boone, I would drive there and object. There is no location too far for me to show up to oppose this law.

We need to resolve ourselves to fight this kind of law, even when it is not convenient.

We do not need Hyde co to turn into a private county resident only hunt club like in Dare and Currituck. Its time to start a new Organization if DU and Delta do not want to help in these fights for the working class duck hunter.
MakeApile
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting