Pigeons Needed

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Pigeons Needed

Postby TheGrizz18-60 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:29 pm

Hey guys I am not new to this site but aparently my old username is invalid now but anyway. I live in Clayton NC and I have a 7 month old lab that i'm training and I am having issues finding a place to buy pigeons. Anyone have any suggestions?? I know you can catch them yourself but i'd prefer to buy if I have the option. Thanks in advance everyone.
TheGrizz18-60
Newb

Pigeons Needed

Postby Bluesky2012 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:44 pm

go sit on a park bench in the city, throw bird seed between your legs, sit back, and wait. You can grab birds easily that way. I used to be able to get 10 in like 15 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bluesky2012
hunter

Re: Pigeons Needed

Postby TheGrizz18-60 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 am

I'm pretty sure I might get arrested for animal cruelty if I do that but thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't have the time or knowledge to go catch them myself. Was hoping I could find a place to buy some but not the fancy high dollar ones. I dont think I am going to need them. I thought my 7 month old chocolate didn't have enough drive but she has started to come around.
TheGrizz18-60
Newb

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm

TheGrizz18-60 wrote:I'm pretty sure I might get arrested for animal cruelty if I do that but thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't have the time or knowledge to go catch them myself. Was hoping I could find a place to buy some but not the fancy high dollar ones. I dont think I am going to need them. I thought my 7 month old chocolate didn't have enough drive but she has started to come around.

You only need to to start with 1 to start. If your dog doesn't get confident with a live bird, you're screwing yourself. It's not a drive thing, it's a confidence thing.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bluesky2012 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:31 pm

TheGrizz18-60 wrote:I'm pretty sure I might get arrested for animal cruelty if I do that but thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't have the time or knowledge to go catch them myself. Was hoping I could find a place to buy some but not the fancy high dollar ones. I dont think I am going to need them. I thought my 7 month old chocolate didn't have enough drive but she has started to come around.

I guarantee you will not. I asked a police officer in Washington DC if I could before I ever started doing that and was told there is no reason I couldn’t. I have since had dozens of police walk by and no one has ever cared.

How is grabbing a pigeon cruel, but shooting one is fine, gigging a frog is common, or trapping a Fox by the foot is not? Using a hand to pick one up is no different than using a net because guess what, you still have to handle the bird at some point. Use your brain man.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby TheGrizz18-60 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:55 am

We don't shoot or gig frogs in downtown either bud. I'm glad that the forum is still the same as it was when I left it :thumbsup:
TheGrizz18-60
Newb

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:20 pm

TheGrizz18-60 wrote:We don't shoot or gig frogs in downtown either bud. I'm glad that the forum is still the same as it was when I left it :thumbsup:

TheGrizz18-60 wrote:We don't shoot or gig frogs in downtown either bud. I'm glad that the forum is still the same as it was when I left it :thumbsup:

I’m sure Clayton NC is far more regulated and would look far further down on grabbing a pigeon than Washington DC or Baltimore where I have done it..... It’s North Carolina.....

If you don’t want to go catch a pigeon, don’t, but don’t then go on to complain that no one sells cheap sky rats.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:12 pm

You might try some of your local trainers. That is where I got mine several years back.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby NCGWP » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:go sit on a park bench in the city, throw bird seed between your legs, sit back, and wait. You can grab birds easily that way. I used to be able to get 10 in like 15 mins.

There aren't nearly as many of them around, at least not where I've been keeping an eye out. Not on the levels of seeing them like one does in Chicago, DC, New York...
NCGWP
hunter

Postby Galactic Ricky » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:25 pm

This thread is ****ing hilarious. :lol3:
Galactic Ricky
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:16 pm

Hell, I'm seeing them peck around the beach here in Destin Florida with the seagulls.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting