Re: Mattamuskeet NWR

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Postby bigsprig » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:13 am

OK, son got drawn for Dec 27. 28.

No blind assignments online as there were in years past?

Website for NWR is down- phones will not connect?

Does anyone know if hunts are still going on?

Know hunts are slow, but bad day at Mattamuskeet is better than bad day most other places.

Have cabin already, so coming unless hear something otherwise.

Just hate driving that far not knowing what plan is.

Merry CHRISTmas to all!
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Don’t see why they’re not still on, no gubment shutdown. My buddy and son went last week.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby CatFan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:23 am

Hope it goes OK for you. My bad day there was far worse than a bad day anywhere else. Kept at the meeting while they read every regulation from the book so we don’t even get to the blind until sunrise. Knee deep mud all the way in and no birds. From what I hear, there no SAV any longer and nothing to attract birds.
CatFan
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:45 am

“No SAV” .... unfortunately you are right.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:58 pm

Until the grass , SAV , or whatever you want to call it comes back its useless to go down there. Everybody and their brother has some sort of impoundment located within a couple of miles of the place and the ducks are so spread out. They feed in the impoundments at night and then raft up in the middle of the lake resting all day. With the blinds not being brushed I would think that's not helping .
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:21 pm

Update- son had received letter with all information needed, but his wife did not tell him. She handed it to him as we were leaving- SOOO if you are drawn for Mattamuskeet- couple of things to note:

1- Nice comfortable new floating blinds installed- but with bright chrome poles and brackets!
2- Take camo or flat black spray paint if going!
2- blinds were not brushed this year (Bring your own camo) Take more than one piece!
3- no SAV (submerged aquatic vegetation) on lake anymore- at all- just bare bottom- so very few ducks

Staff did good job with briefing- not too long and several stand by were allowed to hunt because 3 parties did not show up.

Very sad to see how few ducks there were in the lake since vegetation is gone. Had one of best father son hunts together there 6 years ago. This year only a couple ducks and lots of photos.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:10 am

Sad indeed about the lake. They really need to prioritize on how they can get that lake healthy again but I honestly don’t think we will see it for years or even decades. I hope I’m wrong.

Yep, had a lot of great hunts there (and poor ones 3 and 5 yrs. ago) so I’ve just quit applying. But it’s still a cool experience, the lake area is beautiful and the food and oysters are still great!
Shurshot
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:37 pm

Took my wife to the obx over the weekend. Decided to drive down to skeet and look around. Did not see a single duck on the whole lake(just a few in the impoundment on the dirt road). Drove out to the sound and never a saw a single duck on any of the open water that is accessible by vehicle. Not many birds on pea island refuge either like there normally are. If you’re going to Hyde county, just sleep and go to martelles. That is the only good thing left there. Very sad to see. Only saw 2 duck boats on the road or at ramps and it was a Saturday.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:47 am

Agree with what you said except there are TONS of birds on the lake. Tens of thousands loaf just off Simmon’s lodge. Other areas holding birds on the lake are not in the traditional viewing areas. Pea island almost barren, Currituck has a few, areas south of Swan Quarter across Pamlico river and down the Bay/Nuese are almost sterile. Looks like no weather until the coming weekend. Hoping for a push before it’s over.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:01 pm

Hunted a normally awesome impoundment this past Fri and Sat just south of the lake.

We killed many....mosquitos. Not a single shot at a duck, and not a single duck flew in.

Drove out to the Refuge and talked to the bird watchers on the scenic drive in. I saw a fraction of the ducks we'd normally see in there, and these folks said the migration just did not happen. Went to the photo blind and did not see...anything.

The old guys at Chris's Grocery said that this is the duck season without ducks. They said the initial group of migratory birds left, which they said is normal, but that none then returned.

I have killed exactly 1 bird this year. Wow.
Paul26
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting