Steel Garage

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Steel Garage

Postby DOT3 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:05 pm

Well, the hunting is so worthless I figure I'll ask a totally unrelated question.

Looking to put up a steel garage to store things in, like my boat and decoys because they're not seeing much action lately. Should I insulate it or leave it uninsulated? Eastern NC so yall know the weather. Obviously I'm budget minded. I will be wiring it some time in the future and will keep tools and Christmas decorations, things that are moderately vulnerable to heat and humidity. Not planning to condition it except for a heater of some sort when I'm changing the oil or having a few folks over for a fish fry. Are the benefits of insulation under those conditions worth the cost? Is it inexpensive enough that I should just go for it? Is a radiant barrier all that's really needed around here? Thanks for your input and good luck the last few weeks of the season
DOT3
hunter

Re: Steel Garage

Postby G3duck » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 am

Built a pole barn shop a few years ago. I put an 3/4 insulation under the metal siding. Stuff looks like bubble wrap with aluminum foil on one side. I would say that is a must do. Otherwise you'll get condensation and it rains from inside the roof. I put 6" white vinyl backed insulation in the walls and blew in insulation for the ceiling. The white vinyl is the wall surface on the inside of the shop, no paneling or sheet rock. Look at some industrial buildings and you'll see the same.I did all this because on the first shop I built I didn't put in anything. Couldn't stand the heat in summer and the cold in winter. Insulate, you'll be happier in the long run.
G3duck
hunter

Re: Steel Garage

Postby bigsprig » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:43 pm

100 % agree on the insulation for roof! It will rain inside if you do not. Walls are a personal preference. Good luck
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting