ANYTHING ARRIVE IN HYDE COUNTY YET??

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

ANYTHING ARRIVE IN HYDE COUNTY YET??

Postby Paul26 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:23 am

Fellas,

I have an invite to head back to Hyde County to hunt on 31 Jan & 1 Feb. Would appreciate if someone up that way would shoot me a PM and let me know if any birds showed up with the recent weather.

What a season....to forget. This year it's really true: there just aren't any ducks in coastal NC

Paul
Paul26
hunter

Re: ANYTHING ARRIVE IN HYDE COUNTY YET??

Postby echoduck » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:48 am

Arrival is not the problem. The birds that are here don’t move. Single digit totals for this season in the impoundments. 4 groups killed 2 ring necks Saturday.
echoduck
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:07 pm

Paul, EchoDuck is right. You may see birds, I did hear some shooting at Greenhill this morning. However, there were no ducks in the air this AM at many good Lake Landing area impoundments. I mean none.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:10 pm

Paul26 wrote:Fellas,

I have an invite to head back to Hyde County to hunt on 31 Jan & 1 Feb. Would appreciate if someone up that way would shoot me a PM and let me know if any birds showed up with the recent weather.

What a season....to forget. This year it's really true: there just aren't any ducks in coastal NC

Paul

There really are a lot of ducks in Hyde County, they just do not move in the daylight. After another frustrating morning hunt I walked to the lake and looked. Saw thousands upon thousands just sitting there.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:40 am

Well Paul, where did you go? Hyde I hope ...
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:55 pm

Went to Hyde. Southwest of the lake.

Friday was a waste of time.

On Sat we had a slight improvement over the other 6 hunts there this year......but nothing like what we’d expect this time of the year. In 2 days we shot 1 pintail, 2 wood ducks, a ring neck, and (sorry) 2 mergs. We actually SAW ducks flying in groups of 6-10.

There was more shooting Sat than Friday. Plenty of DD214’s out there.

On Friday I drove through Fairfield and saw THOUSANDS piled thick in the NWest corner of the lake. Nuts.

And to rub salt in the wound......when I scouted the New River on Sunday....you guessed it. 1-2,000 birds. That is not an exaggeration.....I know how to count rafts.

What a terrible, terrible season. My regular partner is actually talking about quitting
Paul26
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:37 am

Well at least you shot a few birds. A lot better than most in all likelihood.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting