Best spray paint for plastic decoys

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Best spray paint for plastic decoys

Postby Paul26 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:56 am

I am going to put some white onto my diver long lines before I put them away. What kind of spray paint do we use for this?
Paul26
hunter

Re: Best spray paint for plastic decoys

Postby Shurshot » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:40 am

Krylon makes a multi surface spray paint that works great on plastics (I use it with great results). But the key to any paint job lies in the initial prep work. Clean the surface throughly and even light sand/scratch it before applying paint. Will last you a long time when done right.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:49 am

Thanks Shurshot.

Would you mind posting a pic of a painted decoy? I know many have asked a variation of this question: do we paint a white oval on each side of the decoy, or is it a solid white band across the top?

I am beating around the bush, so here it is: how do you paint them? Do you have a cardboard cutout that you place over the deke, and then just spray away? Or is it more involved?
Paul26
hunter

Postby Willie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:28 pm

I use Krylon fusion.
They’re diver ducks, so don’t overthink it. Cardboard cutout is way too much trouble for spray painting...for me anyway.
I did hand paint my herters, but any plastic decoys get the simple spray and move on.
I spray the white first and then black.
Willie
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:24 pm

Paul, don’t have any pics and all my stuff is at my camp. Willie is right, they’re just divers which don’t need a Rembrandt quality paint job. Have seen them painted both colors/ways you described ....and they all decoyed birds. It’s a personal preference, I’ve got a few working decoys I spent some time on just to satisfy me.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:48 am

Thanks.

Last question: do you spray paint the white band all the way across the back of the drake bbills? Or do you just have the sides white?
Paul26
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:21 pm

White ovals on sides. Been awhile since painting some but I remember a couple cardboard cut outs made it go quickly.

You can also lightly “feather” the area across the back with white if you want to mimic late season/plummed birds but it certainly isn’t necessary.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:21 pm

If you look at ducks on the water they appear dark. I usually lightly spray grey paint on the drakes sides to darken them a little.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting