GREAT LAKE & CATFISH LAKE

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

GREAT LAKE & CATFISH LAKE

Postby Paul26 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Anyone: I am going to scout both this weekend. I haven’t laid eyes on the ramp/access point since Florence. If anyone has any intel shoot me a PM
Paul26
hunter

Re: GREAT LAKE & CATFISH LAKE

Postby Paul26 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:55 am

For anyone interested. The road to Great Lake is all but impassable. I would not take a boat/trailer there.

The area around the ramp looks like a meth house.....garbage and beer cans everywhere. Shotgun shells all over, and most signs have been shot up.

What a shame. When I went down there for the first time for five years ago there were people camping there in nice natural places, the ramp looked super, and it was well taken care of.
Paul26
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:59 am

well that's pretty lame. when you say impassable, do you mean a trailer would get stuck in deep ruts or what? im sure my truck can still get down there but what sort of conditions are we talking about?
Blind laws are treason
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:20 am

Our concern was trailer damage. Several large and deep crater-like holes....and nearly the entire road is pot-holed worse than the PA Turnpike, which is saying something.

In other words, you can make it. But there's a pretty good chance ot trailer damage.

Not to mention that the 7-mile ride takes forever beczause of all of the above
Paul26
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Made the trip and saw what you mean. It’s a mess for sure and the early morning crowds are......fun. That’s the duck hunters, deer hunters, and drunk Marines flagging you down to pull their truck out of a ditch. Just fun.
Blind laws are treason
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:15 am

Yes on all of the above. I was referring to the ride to Great lake. The same day we went to catfish lake, and there was a abandoned pick up truck at the Shoreline. Very sad to see things like that in what should be beautiful natural settings. I keep telling myself to stop being a grumpy old man. But when I think about it, I did not do things like this in my youth, even when I was a drunk young Marine.
Paul26
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting