Migration Report

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

Migration Report

Postby Paul26 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:51 am

In Hyde doing some preseason work. About 30 min before sunset we saw 5 different very large groups of ducks flying in formation heading south. The graybeards said they were unquestionably migrators (I thought they may have left the lake and were heading for the sound).

Man, I hope they stop in Carteret County!
Paul26
hunter

Re: Migration Report

Postby Shurshot » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:03 am

Sorry Paul, they found a home in Pamlico Co. last night, lol. Just kid’n .....

Need some rain and cold weather!
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Re: Migration Report

Postby CatFan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:48 am

I know this post is older but if you saw ducks in a V then I'd tend to agree with Greybeards (and I might even be one at this point LOL). Geese will start to form up almost as soon as they leave the ground. Ducks only tend to do it when they have traveled longer distances. Unfortunately, I don't see it as much as I used to when I was a kid in KY. But, when I did it usually indicated ducks that were more willing to decoy and come the call then lower flying wads of ducks. A the end of the November season a couple years back we had a good push of migrators here in NC one morning and I saw a few. More ducks than I've ever seen in this area and they were very willing to work. We were unfortunately in a spot that would not allow them to finish well.
CatFan
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting