Snowapocalypse

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: Duckwyatt80, Yuchi1

Snowapocalypse

Postby okduckdude » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:44 pm

Hows everyone doing? Lost power during the 1st snow for about 30 minutes; then for the “rolling blackouts” this morning for about an hour and a half.

My pump house (I’m on well water) froze yesterday and got it thawed out. Other than that, not a whole lot.

Seeing lots of geese. End of the season wasn’t producing for me on the fields I have permission. So I didn’t go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Re: Snowapocalypse

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:22 pm

We are fine and have not lost power. My neighbors have frozen pipes but they were able to get them unthawed.

I can deal with snow, its just the ice late last week that I hate.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby micneador » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:49 am

Home life has been steady, but the cattle are killing me. Between gelled tractors and about half a dozen newborn calves in the past two weeks I've been ran ragged.

ONG has been crapping bricks since Sunday/Monday, so in addition to the cattle I've been keeping eyes on emergency jobs. Tulsa has had something close to 200 water main breaks this week alone.

I'm ready for turkey season.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby The Pas Swamp Donkey » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:36 pm

Guys up north (wayyyyyy north) who calve early have little ear toques made for the calves. Usually try to get them in the calving barn, but sometimes that isnt an option.
A GOOD PLUMBER DOESN'T BLAME HIS TOOLS
The Pas Swamp Donkey
hunter

Postby micneador » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:21 am

The Pas Swamp Donkey wrote:Guys up north (wayyyyyy north) who calve early have little ear toques made for the calves. Usually try to get them in the calving barn, but sometimes that isnt an option.
Not an option for either of my herds unfortunately. I do believe I'm going to take the gianst stack of barn tin I've got and make a large horseshoe shaped windblock in case this ever happens again.

I did not lose any calves (nor ears/tails) during this cold stretch thankfully. All had gotten up, dried off by momma, and were laying with the rest of the calves in the straw bedding I had laid out for them.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:30 am

Glad to hear the calves are doing fine. I was worried about the ranchers I knew but all said they faired ok. I knew that keeping water open would be a pain too.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:27 pm

A friend of mine lost quite a few cattle, some falling through ice and then some calves. I am really curious now if the deer, turkey, and all the wildlife had a die off from the cold. Anyone see any articles or have any thoughts on if this will have a major impact?
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Bluecat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:32 pm

I haven’t seen any articles but I have seen pictures of dead ducks and geese people have found around the area but they were mostly young of the year. Deer and most of the waterfowl I would think probably done ok but turkeys are what I’m concerned about
Bluecat
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting