Wake up you slackers

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07

Wake up you slackers

Postby baltz526 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:40 pm

It is bird season for a Coots sake
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Re: Wake up you slackers

Postby darkwater27 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:33 am

I posted a S. Island question on the other forum, not a spot question, just wanting to know if you can hunt all the units with just waders and no dog..... over a 180 reads and not one reply.....

The CA forums were much more interesting......
darkwater27
hunter

Re: Wake up you slackers

Postby baltz526 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:35 am

I hunt Wikiup mostly. it is 27.4 miles to the farthest place I park. Summer lake is about 82 miles to where I park my trailer. Wikiup you can hunt it in knee high muck boots, as long as you shoot birds with an onshore wind. No wind, you need a boat or dog. Summer lake can be hunted in waders. The problem is you must be very careful of the deeper water and bottomless mud. A extendable retrieval pole is handy. A mud pole is handy along with a marsh seat. I use an old school frame back pack to pack everything. Also it is much easier to pack birds on a pack than a strap. Saint Vincent has old packs regularly here. My blind is the cut camo fabric stapled to 1" by 5' wood poles. one end pointed to stab into ground.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting