duck hunting in eastern, Tennessee

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duck slayR

duck hunting in eastern, Tennessee

Postby bowndoghunter7 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:17 pm

i just moved to Sevier County, TN just wondering how's the waterfowl hunting
bowndoghunter7
Newb

Re: duck hunting in eastern, Tennessee

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:30 am

let me know when you find out. Im moving to the knoxville area as well from Maryland as soon as I can find a job and sell my house here. Dang wife dragging me down there for her job
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby bowndoghunter7 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:42 pm

do you have a boat,and i will
bowndoghunter7
Newb

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:46 am

i have a 16' SeaArk that I have rigged for duck hunting and 2 kayaks
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby TNDuckBoy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:47 pm

Duck hunting in east tn is very poor, of course when it gets really cold and the ducks are migrating we have some ducks and some great hunts, but most of the time the ducks are very scarce.
TNDuckBoy
hunter

Postby firedawg1513 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:43 am

want ducks... must travel :hammer:
savin lives & destroyin property since 2002...
firedawg1513
hunter

Postby bowndoghunter7 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:35 pm

well i have an 1754 excel with a 45 black death Mudbuddy just wondering how are the river,and lakes.
bowndoghunter7
Newb

Postby daffy... » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:36 pm

what about Chattanooga? im moving there in 3 weeks and though the river might bring a fly way
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby LtFrank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Hello from an East Tennessee Duck hunter with Maryland ties. Raised on the Chesapeake Bay. Also hunted the Choptank, Patuxent, Kent Island, Rock Hall. I still go home to see my brothers and hunt geese from his field blind. You asked about E.TN duck hunting. Success depends on a lot of factors.
1. Weather is the biggest factor
2. Availability of feed
3. If we get hit with an early freeze before Ohio and Illinois birds will by-pass us.
4. Northern States short stopping birds on Refuges.

There are probably other factors I've overlooked, but these are the ones everyone complains about around here. There are numerous lakes all over E.TN. Rivers, creeks and ponds offer great float hunting.

Let's face it. West Tennessee along Mississippi River from Reelfoot to Memphis is where the large majority of ducks and geese congregate. One suggestion that will be invaluable to you once you relocate to East Tennessee is Ducks Unlimited East Tennessee Chapter. The organization is huge! You can get Chapter information from DU.

There are ducks and geese here. You just have to know where they are, which lakes are holding ducks and if you make friends with landowners along the rivers some can be very profitable.

Hope this is a help.

Lt. Frank Scimonelli
:hi:
LtFrank
Newb

Postby roadracer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:59 pm

No to be completely pessimistic but waterfowl hunting in East TN generally sucks. Occasionally, you will get a day or two each season when things freeze up that a decent number of ducks may be on the water. You can work your ass off for a few birds or travel 5-6 hours for a lot of birds, especially if you can get on private land. Again, even West TN is weather dependent. There need to be good cold snaps up north to force the birds south. It will take a bunch of research or get in with the right group to get on birds. I swear everyone is duck hunting these days. Public land is crowded and pit leases are sky high (7K or better). Not sure what Maryland is like these days but down here it's elbow to elbow on public land, buy your own land or pay for a lease (duck or deer). I may have been spoiled being from Maine and having a lot more access to land and water.
If you are the only one laughing it wasn't funny.
roadracer
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting