looking to move

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duck slayR

looking to move

Postby don novicki » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:20 am

Finally can't take it here in Pa. anymore. Where is a good place to move to in Tenn. ? We like small towns with a few conveniences ie: grocery store, hosp. and not too many people. Also is it tough to get on private property for hunting and what are the public hunting opportunities. I am an RN and my wife is a teacher. Looking for any info. Thanks... P.S. we are at the end of our careers but still have a few miles left in us.. :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Re: looking to move

Postby OldPhotog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:36 pm

East TN (Knoxville, Tri-Cities, Chattanooga etc.) has little if any duck hunting, is a mountainous region and quite lovely.
West TN (Memphis, Dyersburg, Jackson, etc.) has more duck hunting than anywhere in the state and is flat.
Middle TN (Nashville and surrounding areas) is a blend, hilly, with some (not much that is very good unless it's a bitter cold winter) duck hunting.
Small towns with what you describe can be found in any of these general geographic areas.
Private property for duck, deer or turkey hunting is pay-to-play scenario. Gone are the days when you could walk up on a porch and get permission. You can find leases pretty much anywhere. Public hunting in Tennessee is . . . different than most places I've hunted. The best areas are controlled by an annual draw held the first Saturday in August. Think 3,000 people drawing for 40 blinds, 10 of which are worth hunting on an average day, and you have a mental picture. The winners of the draw "own" those blinds for the season and can kick you out up to shooting time, at which time the blind is open for anyone to hunt. There are other areas in West Tennessee that have a computer draw for a weekend hunt, some walk-in-waste-your-time-mostly areas, plus a LOT of public water you can hunt; however, that public water is well known to the locals who hunt the good spots.
From Nashville, good Arkansas duck hunting is about 350 miles away.
Hope this gives you something to think about.
OldPhotog
hunter

Re: looking to move

Postby don novicki » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks Photog. Gives me some good general ideas of where to start...... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting