Reelfoot Trip

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duck slayR

Reelfoot Trip

Postby RollTideHawks » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:21 am

Looking to make a trip to the Reelfoot area in January. First time there. Have ability to go early or late January. Would appreciate recommendations on what is the best time of year to go. Any suggestions on outfitters would be appreciated as well. We plan to pay for a guide service. 2 days of hunting. Three people total going. Not picky about whether it is lake, timber, etc. Thanks!
RollTideHawks
Newb

Re: Reelfoot Trip

Postby firedawg1513 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:24 am

From what I understand colder weather is better. Take a look at cupped and committed outfitters. I’ve hunted with hunter and his assistant on my lease in Arkansas. He’s pretty good people and seems like he’s been hunting for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
savin lives & destroyin property since 2002...
firedawg1513
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:14 pm

Get ahold of John Fagan at Grays Camp. He will treat you right. You are at the mercy of Mother Nature.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby SBEIISPECK » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:07 am

contact possumfoot
SBEIISPECK
hunter

Postby rrconductor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:53 am

second Possumfoot.
rrconductor
hunter

Postby valeflyfish47 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:37 am

Any updates on Reelfoot lake. Were driving in tomorrow Dec 27, from NC. Long drive About 9 hrs. We are using Fowlers Point Guide service. Hunting Sat/Sun. This is our first hunt in TN. I will let y'all know how it went. Were staying near Samburg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
valeflyfish47
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:59 pm

valeflyfish47 wrote:Any updates on Reelfoot lake. Were driving in tomorrow Dec 27, from NC. Long drive About 9 hrs. We are using Fowlers Point Guide service. Hunting Sat/Sun. This is our first hunt in TN. I will let y'all know how it went. Were staying near Samburg.

Not sure how they are doing now, but when I hunted up there in early December, the lake was dead. I hunted with Possum in his pit blind outside of reelfoot, and we stacked up birds, but didn’t hear of anything productive coming from the lake.

If you can, I’d consider giving possumfoot (snowstormoutfitters) a call and see if you can hunt with him a day or so instead.

You will do better than any hunt in NC (used to live there, I fee sorry for ya haha), but I really would see if it’s possible to swap and hunt a pit instead with possum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby valeflyfish47 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:57 am

Just got back from Reelfoot lake duck hunt. We went with Fowlers Point Guide service. Brandon Fowler and his guides were awesome. He called us before our trip and told him the kill numbers were low, and birds were not coming into range being gun and call shy.
We decided to go anyway.
Even though we were only able to score one duck, we weren't skunk, and able to work some ducks ,we just couldn't get them in close enough to shoot at him.
It was a great experience and a fun trip.
There were a lot of ducks and geese flying but they were so high, and they seem to be passing over the lake always headed for the Refuge.
We put at at Walnut Logging road boat ramp. Got to the blind was plenty of time to get all our Gear in, check out the blind, get set up and wait for first light.
The amenities in the blind we're awesome. We've never hunted in a blind like this before. Rusty took care of us in the blind, spotting the Ducks, and calling them.
There was a lot of people out there Saturday morning and that lake is full of duck blinds. So with all the calling trying to get those super high flying ducks to come in, it kind of look like the ducks we call educated and definitely call shy.
Plus IMO, think that's since there hasn't been a big cold front coming out of the North hard enough to push new ducks in the area that was a big reason for the low kill numbers on the whole lake.
Being from the Piedmont of North Carolina, we definitely saw more birds flying then we ever have where we hunt.

Like I said earlier the trip was fun, the lake is awesome, the hunt was fun. Will definitely be coming back next year, we just hope the weather will cooperate, but who knows that's a whole year away.

valeflyfish47
hunter

Postby vFishdogv » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:33 am

Glad you had a good time. I will be heading out that way Jan 18th. Hopefully some cold fronts will change things so it will be better. I hunted with possumfoot last year and it was a great time yet I did have a few issues with him. Going with a different guide this go around.
vFishdogv
hunter

Postby valeflyfish47 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:34 pm

vFishdogv wrote:Glad you had a good time. I will be heading out that way Jan 18th. Hopefully some cold fronts will change things so it will be better. I hunted with possumfoot last year and it was a great time yet I did have a few issues with him. Going with a different guide this go around.

Good luck, "aim small, miss small" Hope there are new birds in. Hope for good numbers and the commit to ya'lls spread.
Update and let us know how it went.
I'm gonna try to get out and get them here in NC. all this rain were getting is opening up too many areas for the duck to go feed.
valeflyfish47
hunter

Postby NOLAdude » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:02 pm

I was there Dec20&21

The lake was dead. Very little shooting from any of the blinds over the 2 days. I never picked up my gun to take a shot.

The guides we were with did well with what the could control but the lack of ducks makes question if I would go back. This was my first hunt on Reelfoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NOLAdude
Newb

Postby vFishdogv » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:00 am

With the way this entire season as been going, I wouldn't let it change my mind about not going back. Also reelfoot lake is within a reasonable drive and price for me. You another couple of hours west, the price doubles for the same fly way in my opinion. I am looking forward to my trip next week. Have a great group of guys going with me. Might drive off the road laughing to hard
vFishdogv
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:21 am

The lake itself is typically hit or miss. There are so many refuges around it and also having the river right there makes it tough to consistently do well IMO on the lake. If the river is high, birds don’t have to be on the lake (which it has been most of Dec).

The pits around the lake though are likely the most consistent shooting, and when I hunted with Possum in his pit, the local hunting was slow and the weather wasn’t ideal but we still killed a whole lot of mallards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bluesky2012
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting