Airborne CHAP new to TN

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duck slayR

Airborne CHAP new to TN

Postby CHAP » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Hello all, I had this message nearly done, then hit a key and it all disappeared!

New to TN, Nolensville (Nashville area) and am asking for general input, guidance on how the duck hunting works down here. Just moved from Hudson, WI. I am a bit familiar with the area, having been assigned to and also hunted west of Fort Campbell, KY (LBL) and also hunted Redstone Arsenal, AL (Huntsville) and hunted Swan Creek, near Decatur, AL. Any ideas about areas to walk in, canoe in (I have a 14' Mad River canoe), finding public land versus the blind draw areas, pros and cons of both, etc.

I have done some checking on Dale Hollow duck hunting. Does anyone hunt Percy Priest? I will definitely do my share of scouting and talking to others and reading also. Any recommendations for a guided hunt on Reelfoot?

I am a retired US ARMY chaplain, having served nearly 28 years. Hunted ducks and geese all over the US, wherever the Army sent us. Not able to hunt in Baghdad or Korea, but did see lots of pheasants in the rice fields in Korea. I also love to hunt pheasants and have done quite a bit of native bird hunting, plus game farm hunting. Would be willing to do some game farm hunting and share the costs. Thanks to all of you who are Veterans, for your service and for your families. For those of you who support Vets, their families and our current military, thanks for all you do!

Lastly, hopefully, does anyone know about groups or organizations that sponsor hunts or fishing for Vets or our military? I would like to get involved in that, if possible. Thanks and blessings on a good and safe season! CHAP LANE Stockeland, "The Airborne Chaplain"
CHAP
hunter

Re: Airborne CHAP new to TN

Postby firedawg1513 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:04 am

Chap. Welcome to Tn and thank you for your service. I don’t have much to offer on middle Tn hunting as I live in East Tennessee. I do have a couple recommendations for reelfoot however.

1. Homra brothers. ( not sure that’s how it’s spelled). One of my coworkers hunted four days with them last year and spoke very highly of their operation. They killed quite a few.

2. Cupped and committed outfitters. I’ve hunted with hunter at my place in Arkansas. He’s good people. I also know his co-guide very well as he used to hunt with our group in Arkansas. I think they do pretty good as well.

Sorry I can’t offer much else but hopefully that’ll help some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
savin lives & destroyin property since 2002...
firedawg1513
hunter

Postby OldPhotog » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:59 am

Chap, welcome to TN and thank you for your service. Middle Tennessee duck hunting is usually slow. Ducks that get to Mid-Tenn are lost. Blinds in Middle Tennessee are drawn for the first Saturday in August. You can hunt any blind that is not occupied by legal shooting time. However, if nobody is in that blind, gotta ask yourself why? By the end of the day you may have figured it out. My suggestion to you is to get on I-40 and drive west until you see ducks off the side of the interstate. Then hunt near there. This should put you in Arkansas, west of Crowley's Ridge. Public hunting in Arkansas is a free-for-all with no draws or set blinds (with maybe one exception). Best of luck to you.
OldPhotog
hunter

Postby C-goose » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:16 am

Hey trooper welcome on board.You are in a very dry duck area and will have to do some road time to get on the birds.
You mentioned that you have been hunting LBL area before and I hunt Ky lake area and would be more than happy to take another trooper out, so if you want to hunt the big water just PM me
C-goose
hunter

Postby CHAP » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks C-goose! I see you are a paratrooper. Airborne! I was the Army chaplain at the Airborne school @ Fort Benning, GA from 95-97. Slip away! CHAP LANE
CHAP
hunter

Postby jard » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Chap,

I live in Brentwood and am a chiropractor, my office is in Maryland Farms. I love to Duck Hunt but the pickins here are slim. With family and kiddos, I cant invest full time into a lease and be gone several weekends a year. I had a few guys over the last few years that I could hunt priest with but they have moved out of the area. I grew up in West KY hunting the lakes and refuges. I have everything I need to hunt, boat, decoys, etc. Give me a call or shoot me a text. Im always looking for someone to go with as I do not like hunting alone. However, I dont have any honey holes so its very hit or miss when I hunt, I just like being out there.

Thanks,
Justin
270-227-2006
jard
Newb

Postby valeflyfish47 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:30 am

Hey Chap,
Hoorah! Airborne!
I was stationed at Ft Bragg for about 4 years. No Leg here.

I'm from Hickory, NC so no help on the TN area.
3 off us are leaving tomorrow Fri Dec 27, for Reelfoot lake hunt Sat/Sun. Fowlers Point guides. Will let you know how it goes.
This will be our first hunt in west TN.
A friend of a friend, that lives in South east Missouri said the water there was covered up with ducks last week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
valeflyfish47
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting