Texas Hunting - Please Read

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:53 am

It's about that time again where the internet scouters come out in full force looking for spots to hunt or advice. Beautiful thing about the internet is it has multiple search feature like google, google earth, bing maps, etc that let you scout without leaving the comfort of your chair. So below are some links that you should research before even posting on here.

Texas Parks and Wildlife
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/
The Annual Public Hunting Permit provides nearly year-round hunting on nearly one million acres of land and cost $48.

Here are the maps of the TPWD public places to hunt:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/table_contents/

Game Wardens
This link allows you to search for you Game Warden by County. Any questions on places to hunt, legality, or just to be friendly can be found here.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/warden/

Corp of Engineers
This is the second option to hunt. These are the lakes not under the APH and can either be hunted for free or purchase a permit depending on the specific lake. You can find the specific lake you want and find the map online or go to the Corps office and talk with them there.
http://www.usace.army.mil/Locations.aspx

This is an example of a map, feel free to use it, it's in Kansas.
Lake.jpg

Once again take the time to do your own research and scouting because if you're to busy to scout then you should be to busy to type on here looking for places to go or you could just sacrifice a Saturday or Sunday of hunting and go scout instead of looking for a handout. I can tell you exactly where to hunt but I guarantee at 3 am in the pitch black you're not going to have any idea where you're going and spend the next hour or 2 trying to find the place I told you about on an online forum.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Re: Texas Hunting - Please Read

Postby Barney#1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:14 am

:thumbsup:
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:03 am

Great post WW! Sticky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Kcwill3214 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:51 am

This is super helpful. Thanks
A mallard call on the coast is about as useless as Obama. Semper Fi
Kcwill3214
hunter

Postby :-) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Great post! Now that you posted this do I have your permission to go full blow ****** on internet scouters in the Texas Forum?
:-)
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:33 pm

Just link this page. Of course this doesn't cover the coast and I'm not even going to try and explain rivers.

You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby MarkM » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:12 pm

Well look at you being all helpful and whatnot....
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby :-) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:20 pm

I've already copied it to a few post just to get the word out, but for some reason I don't think it will help much.
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:17 pm

:-) wrote:I've already copied it to a few post just to get the word out, but for some reason I don't think it will help much.

I think theres gonna be a few that are hopeless lol
Great post WW, seems like all i've seen here lately are these MOVING TO TEXAS, NEED HELP threads. Used to be just one or two here and there but now its like the last two recent pages is just that...
OBHC
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Duck Collector wrote:
:-) wrote:I've already copied it to a few post just to get the word out, but for some reason I don't think it will help much.

I think theres gonna be a few that are hopeless lol
Great post WW, seems like all i've seen here lately are these MOVING TO TEXAS, NEED HELP threads. Used to be just one or two here and there but now its like the last two recent pages is just that...

It's getting about that time for them to come out in the masses...

"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Internet scouter season!
When you see a internet scouter make a post simply be the first one to comment with BOOM! Then that one will be added to your season bag, hunter with most scouters by the end of season has bragging rights!

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Point them to the pond near bay colonies in Dickinson been holding tons of teal and whistlers
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby :-) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:20 pm

stumpjumper1590 wrote:Internet scouter season!
When you see a internet scouter make a post simply be the first one to comment with BOOM! Then that one will be added to your season bag, hunter with most scouters by the end of season has bragging rights!

Game on!
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:55 pm

good luck
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby MarkM » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Hey guys, I'm moving back to Texas in about 10 years. Where are your honey holes so I can save mine for last. Thanks!
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:20 pm

stumpjumper1590 wrote:Internet scouter season!

Now that's funny stump.
Last edited by Barney#1 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:24 am

Rule of Thumb: avoid anything even remotely connected to the USACOE.

Texas in most parts of the state is in a severe water crisis. The USACOE has figured out they can move water around at a profit. Many of the lakes they manage are in horrible shape. Yes a lot is due to the drought.

Every watershed lake is over developed and littered. The politicians want that property tax money but they have not taken water supply seriously until now and it's too late. In truth there are areas where there is not enough water to support the rampant growth but the politicos don't care as long as the tax revenue keeps pouring in.

Your best bet is to pay to hunt on land that's being pumped.

I work all year so I can afford to hunt in OK, LA and AR. I gave up on TX three years ago. I live around Dallas and all the private spots are oversold with people who will shoot anything that moves. They'll hunt any dove or duck venue into the ground hunting morning and evening. They all make a ton of money, know absolutely nothing about duck hunting and won't listen to reason. I've seen these types decimate a good dove field in a week. I've seen em driving up and down levy a jump shooting. I've seen them literally destroy a good duck hunting venue. It's all about me, me and me.
Super Elite Cubic Zirconia Geritol Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Duck-Pimp » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Im New & this is very helpful, thx bud... :thumbsup:
Many words have a different meaning to my people... For example, "Vegetarian" is our word for "Lousy Hunter!".
Duck-Pimp
Newb

Postby MidwestWaterfowler » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:18 am

Thanks guys I'm new to Internet forums in general and you've been very helpful. I'm headed to your great state for the holidays and hopefully get in a sneak boat hunt. I know nobody likes out of staters but if you see minnesota plates near the gulf feel free to say hay. And where might I be able to find anyone interested in a trade a hunt?
MidwestWaterfowler
Newb

Postby MidwestWaterfowler » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Clearly I'm terrible at reading dates...
MidwestWaterfowler
Newb

Postby Sgt. Gunnar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Hey Texas Hunters! I was about to post a new topic under the TX forum looking for advice on WHAT to hunt, not necessarily WHERE to hunt, in TX for a late December/early January trip, but then I saw this thread. I will be down in the Houston area to see family and would like to get a quick guided hunt in for a day, but am not sure if I should do dabblers (teal?) or divers (redheads?). Is that too late in the year for teal (Eagle Lake area?), or would I have more fun shooting reds out on the Gulf marshes (Matagorda or similar)? Are the wetlands too tore up right now from the hurricane to even hunt the Gulf marshes? Just looking for advice on what to hunt down there. Thanks in advance!
Sgt. Gunnar
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Sgt. Gunnar wrote:Hey Texas Hunters! I was about to post a new topic under the TX forum looking for advice on WHAT to hunt, not necessarily WHERE to hunt, in TX for a late December/early January trip, but then I saw this thread. I will be down in the Houston area to see family and would like to get a quick guided hunt in for a day, but am not sure if I should do dabblers (teal?) or divers (redheads?). Is that too late in the year for teal (Eagle Lake area?), or would I have more fun shooting reds out on the Gulf marshes (Matagorda or similar)? Are the wetlands too tore up right now from the hurricane to even hunt the Gulf marshes? Just looking for advice on what to hunt down there. Thanks in advance!

Totally your call really - if you want teal, hunt as late as possible, the greening will be here in force and the blue wing will start to trickle back in. Redheads are fun in terms of the sheer numbers of them and the habitat - but keep in mind you can only kill 2. I'd look down around Port O'Connor or the Lisse/El Campo area. Rice fields hold teal!
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:35 pm

I see most posts in this Texas thread are from years ago and even then there was much talk about newcomers flooding into Texas.
Well, I guess it's our turn now too. We didn't have many until about two years ago moving into E Idaho, and then our little slice of Heaven was still uncrowded, but it ain't no more. The LEFT COAST is coming and it has us awash in Liberals.
Folks moving into the area was always expected, but not this fast! My little town was still a little slice of old time Americana from decades ago, and we pretty much liked it just that way. I hope the Libs leave it that way for a while longer, but I feel sorry for the kids. I know it's gonna change for the worse.
I live in the valley farm country, but I still have the occasional Moose, Elk, Mulies and Whitetails, just across the street, and there's hardly an hour of the night or day I am not serenaded by Canada geese practically walking across the roof of the house they are so low. Am living 150 yards off the banks of the Snake river, and it's still full of arm length Browns, Cutthroats and rainbows and big Small Mouthed Bass are practically crowding them out. But I wonder for how long?
I can see the pressure on hunting and fishing spots will begin to grow, but even still, most spots I hunt are had for a knock on somebodies door and many of those spots I've had for years, and many exclusively, and for now at least I seldom even hear a shot in my favorite waterfowl fields and creeks.
I only write here because I see on the news how often you Texans are mentioned as the number one target for LEFT COAST escapees to move to...just letting you know you are not alone.
IMG_1802 (1).JPG

What are we about to lose forever? Not this I pray.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting