Wow! This site really has died.

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Wow! This site really has died.

Postby Barney#1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:09 pm

No pictures, no post, & no bs.
Either the hunting sux for all or no one cares.

Not that anyone will read this but, my favorite hunting hole just sux this year. Flooded up and can't even get to the banks without plowing through a 100 yards of brush. Where you can wade then your back in there with birds over the middle of deep open water. Not holding anyway because the food is all under 9 feet of water. Time to expand my territory.

2 blue wing teal and a spoonie. Lol! Best season ever. :fingerhead:

There. Did my part. Rest in peace DHC. :beer:
Barney#1
hunter

Re: Wow! This site really has died.

Postby Barney#1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Screenshot_20181126-201441_Samsung Internet.jpg

Lol!
Barney#1
hunter

Postby RShockley » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:28 pm

I have been really focused on the deer so far and have not been in a duck blind much. Got my public land buck last week so I can return to duck hunting after the split. Going to be out scouting all week. Seeing some birds but they are extremely spread out with all this water. Unfortunately I won't have the pup with me for the first 2 weekends as we are getting him ready for senior tests the next 2 weekends.

deer 1.jpg
deer 1.jpg (71.52 KiB) Viewed 3105 times

deer 2.jpg
deer 2.jpg (69.53 KiB) Viewed 3105 times

deer 3.jpg
RShockley
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:02 pm

Congratulations on the public land buck. That's a nice one.
I've only been picked once for for a public deer hunt at guadalupe state park. It was pretty good. Shot a whitetail buck and an axis spike. Fingers crossed for next year.

Good luck on the duck hunting. Maybe it will get better with some big weather. I'm not giving up till it's over.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Blakely143 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:05 pm

are any of you guys around the Toledo Bend area?
Blakely143
Newb

Postby RShockley » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:50 pm

Barney#1 wrote:Congratulations on the public land buck. That's a nice one.
I've only been picked once for for a public deer hunt at guadalupe state park. It was pretty good. Shot a whitetail buck and an axis spike. Fingers crossed for next year.

Good luck on the duck hunting. Maybe it will get better with some big weather. I'm not giving up till it's over.

Yeah hoping we get some strong fronts pushing birds down. Reports seem pretty poor all across the state right now. Add to the low numbers the fact that we have water everywhere and the little we do have are very spread out. I have high hope for the second split though as I have found a few spots I think will hold birds well when they make it here.
RShockley
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Blakely143 wrote:are any of you guys around the Toledo Bend area?

Not me. I'm south central texas.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Season started off strong. Which was disappointing.
Limited out in 30 mins on teal the first day of season and packed up and headed to the house.

Have limited all but one Saturday this year. Honestly, I can't complain as past seasons have been so so.

Glad to see some are still alive. I tend to lurk on the boards.
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Its been a fantastic year...limits for all customers almost every day
OBHC
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby evanboyle » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Been having really good luck around Melvin/Brady & San Saba - not normally 'ducky' spots but with so little pressure the birds in the area work to the calls.
evanboyle
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm glad there are still some around and you're having luck. Been out 6 mornings and an evening at 2 of the south texas areas I hunt, with only 7 down. Moving on to the salt after Christmas. Never hunted that far down because I never had reason to, but this seasons causing me to expand the territory. I'll take my 2 redheads and pull back to the ramp happy.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby evanboyle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:01 am

Barney#1 wrote:I'm glad there are still some around and you're having luck. Been out 6 mornings and an evening at 2 of the south texas areas I hunt, with only 7 down. Moving on to the salt after Christmas. Never hunted that far down because I never had reason to, but this seasons causing me to expand the territory. I'll take my 2 redheads and pull back to the ramp happy.

Good luck on the salt. Funny enough I got a pair of drake redheads to decoy in earlier this week on the tank. Dropped 1, then the other one circled back around and he got a nice load of 3" #2. We normally get a lot of ringneck and scaup but the redheads were a really nice surprise.

Couple strap pics here:

evanboyle
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:13 am

Nice job :thumbsup:
Yeah even the salt failed me.
Spent 2 mornings hunting in matagorda and 1 morning scouting. Found some ducks and got all excited but had weather move in on me for the morning of my first hunt and rest of the trip. Shot 2 but certainly not what I was looking for. Heard all the stories about thousands of redheads flying around. Never saw that. Areas got a butload of merganser if that floats your boat. Not mine. I'll try it again next season hopefully - the 30 mph wind and pissing rain.
Think I'm done for the season. Spent too much already for minimal reward. For sure the worst season I have ever had.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby RShockley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Finally seeing better numbers after those few days of colder weather. I haven't had many great hunts but taking the new dog out for his first season has been great. Still have a few more hunts planned otherwise it is back to training for the hunt test game.
RShockley
hunter

Postby evanboyle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:33 pm

I missed a few golden opportunities Friday but ended up with another limit:

evanboyle
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Cool!
Puddle jumped a bunch of Gadwalls Saturday at my dove lease and smoked 2 drakes. Then knocked down half a limit of snipe. Made me feel a little better.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby RShockley » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:33 pm

We have had a few hundred ducks, mostly mallards, landing in a flooded sunflower field near the training kennels. After getting permission it has been some good training for the pups. With only doing a hunt once a week there they continue to come back.
RShockley
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:31 pm

Finally had a decent hunt with more than one or two birds. I wasn't expecting the amount of ducks I saw, so was caught off guard out of the layout blind, or had the doors open on two big groups. Once it started to seem like something was really going to happen I got serious. Lol! Came up 2 short but was thrilled with what I got, given the season I've had. The weather really seemed to bring a lot of ducks in. Unfortunately this was the final weekend for my lease, so back to public land for the last weekend in the boat.
All in favor of extending the season to the end of February ✋
Attachments
20190120_102325_resized.jpg
20190120_105827_resized.jpg
20190120_164724_resized.jpg
20190120_164724_resized.jpg (188.28 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Barney#1
hunter

Postby evanboyle » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Well boys, 1 weekend left. Let's give em hell!
evanboyle
hunter

Postby evanboyle » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:21 am

Closing weekend was slow but we scratched a couple:
evanboyle
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:47 pm

We’ll bring it back to life! I guess everyone created a Facebook group, and it’s easier to do the trollin there.

Hope y’all had a good season, I had one of the best seasons ever. Actually found some birds and there wasn’t another hunter to be found.

It’s looking like I’ll be scouting in the North Zone this year, you bitches better get ready cause I’m coming to kill your birds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
:-)
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:59 pm

:-) wrote:We’ll bring it back to life! I guess everyone created a Facebook group, and it’s easier to do the trollin there.

Hope y’all had a good season, I had one of the best seasons ever. Actually found some birds and there wasn’t another hunter to be found.

It’s looking like I’ll be scouting in the North Zone this year, you bitches better get ready cause I’m coming to kill your birds!

Think your right on the Facebook thing.
Congrats on the good season. We actually had one of the worst seasons since I started. Didn't break my spirit about it though. Just gonna adapt and expand the territory. Building a pirogue and training a boykin pup during the off season. Sneaking some fishing in between the two. Come August I'll be all fired up for it again.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Yeah, I’m in the corpus area, and after 2-3 hunts I was over it. After that I found some new hunting grounds, and never looked back.

I’ll be back in east Texas this year, looking forward to the change. Been chasing ducks in south Texas for 16 years, and I’m looking forward to shooting a wood duck in the face.

:-)
hunter

Postby RShockley » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:05 pm

:-) wrote:We’ll bring it back to life! I guess everyone created a Facebook group, and it’s easier to do the trollin there.

We had an ok season as far as the numbers went. Started out pretty rough but did eventually find some decent numbers at a few different places. It was still my favorite season in awhile as it was my first with the new pup. He did really well and I was very impressed with how quickly he picked up the differences between training and the actual hunt. He still isn't very trusting of the Mojo though. :yes: He stays clear of it during retrieves. Looking forward to many more years of hunting with this knucklehead and hopefully finishing up his AKC Master title this year as well.
RShockley
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:37 pm

All the forums are taking massive hits to Facetagram and Instabook, new ownerships and advertising structures, content policies, and who knows what else ... maybe just life in general.
Pouledeau
hunter

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting