Duck Hunting Forum banner

Mud Motor Help

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BearRiverBanded 
#1 ·
I have seen tons out there and I don't have loads of cash. But I have seen american longtail kits and thai long tail kits. I have seen both on the marshes. Can someone tell me if one is better than the other? Obviously the Thai kits are significantly cheaper to buy. But is that trash? Help.

#2 ·
Depends on what you want. If all you are using it for is grass on a light boat, a Thai kit may scratc your itch. If you're going to use it in thick mud, timber, etc, backwater longtails are probably the most recommended by hard users. Good balance of cost and craftsmanship and longevity. Call Arlon, he can tell you all about the longtails they have. Also godevil has a good history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
So I ended up with a 22HP predator and a thai longtail kit because I could afford it. Seems to work decent. After a dozen trips out with it I am wondering if any of you have had a longtail and switched to a surface drive? Or had a thai kit and switched to american? and what you noticed by switching.

#5 ·
My boss went from a longtail to a thai surface drive. He likes it. The boat I use when I guide for a club I went from a mud buddy 16hp longtail to a mud buddy 23hp surface drive and I like it. I miss having the extra leverage when getting started in very shallow areas but the surface drive moves my boat well.

It is all personal preference. Find someone who has a surface drive and ask if you can try running it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.