Decoy Carts

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Decoy Carts

Postby Tealer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:53 pm

Somebody a while back asked me to post up some pics of my decoy carts. Since I just got one back after loaning it to a buddy, (two yrs ago). I thought I would share them. Flame away.
I built this one with my Dad about 8 yrs ago, Two cart tires, 1" square tubing, and some 1/8" flat stock. It will hall 2 large bags of decoys and my blind bag. Folds up for easy storage. I know it looks bad but give a week and it will be up and running again.
I built this one last year to haul goose full bodies. I can get 40 fullbodies, or 220 duck floaters. I like this cart alot but it can almost be too much crap. Killmaster can attest to how much crap this thing can haul.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Re: Decoy Carts

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:01 pm

That looks like the same kind Dave Smith sells. Is it based off of that design. A lot of the guys on Sauvies use carts like this. Good carts. I use my quad to pull out the decoy trailer.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:04 pm

I wish I could use an atv but I hunt almost exclusively public land.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:17 pm

Is that aluminum or steel? My buddy has one that is almost identical. He has added a T-handle to both ends with a pin for removal It is very nice, so the cart isn't running over your feet. He can also push down on the T-to lift the front wheels for ease of turning. We hauled an elk out with it whole with 4 guys on a skid road.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:59 pm

All steel I don't have a machine that is capable of welding aluminum. I usully use a decoy stake to hold it in place it doesn't take much. I set the wheels forward so you just push down in the rear and you can pivot the cart nicely.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Tulelicious » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Do you have a decent place to get wheels? I tried to fit some Mt bike wheels and have had bad luck due to the bearing design of them. Northern tool sells some nice cart wheels but I would like to find some cheaper. Where did you get your wheels?
Tulelicious
hunter

Postby Tulelicious » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:06 pm

also what did you use for your stake holders?
Tulelicious
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:19 pm

Wheels came from northern tool. I used 4" PVC for the stake holder and drilled some holes to let water drain out.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby aftershox454 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:28 pm

tealer man those things look nice!

wish we had somthing like that when we walk into potholes.

last year our brand new cart from lowes with much smaller wheels only made it 150 yards before both welds on the front two wheels busted. had to carry all the gear the next 3/4 mile..... :lame:
aftershox454
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:27 pm

I pretty much built these because the commercial carts suck. I built that "V" cart almost 10 years ago and until I lent it to buddy it was in great shape. It has an easy 150 miles on it. I built Bertha last year just for fullbodies. Only problems I have had was with the original tubes getting flats but I got some good ones this year.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Tulelicious » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:43 am

Are both of your carts welded aluminum? I built a 4 wheel cart this year for full bodys and I figured out a bolted together version that works pretty well. Here are a couple pics of my carts since we are showing them. I'm sure a lot of guys can benefit for this stuff.

this one I made my layout blind the cart.

This is the new cart for full body decoys. I have since changed the cloth sides out to a mesh fence material but I am considering a thin plywood instead. The material bulges sometimes and rubs on the wheels. The wheel I have on here are MT bike wheels that I got off craigslist and I would not recommend going this route. I will eventually change them out.

Tulelicious
hunter

Postby Tulelicious » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:46 am

Oh also if anyone wants to build one of the larger carts I bought enough metal to build two I will sell it at my cost and you can check out my cart when you pick it up. Very east to build you need a sawzaw with a metal blade and a drill a few bits and a couple wrenches. My cost on the metal was $90.
Tulelicious
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting