Duck Hunting Forum banner

Green Bottom

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JJWise 
#1 ·
I heard recently that to hunt Green Bottom WMA for waterfowl during the first 2 segments youhave to check in and out. I'm currently stationed in NC but originally from WV, I drove past that WMA all the time as it's between our house and farm. But I can't recall ever seeing any sort of warden station or what have you to check in, anyone know where it is?

#4 ·
Thanks guys. To hunt on these places, does it just require any sort of WV hunting license plus the federal duck stamp or is there something else? I've never hunted on public land in WV, but down here in NC there's an extra privilege required on your license for use of public lands, plus an NC duck stamp.

#5 ·
For the early season at McClintic you have to do one of two things. The first thing is to enter the lottery on wvhunt.com before season comes in. Like in the summer. They will assign you a date and mail you a ticket for it. Show up at the office the morning of your hunt and show them your ticket. Draw a blind and you're good to go. Drawing is usually based upon the order you show up at the office. The second thing, if you don't draw a date (which you always will) or you want to go additional days, is to show up early in the morning. They will check in everyone with a ticket in and then anyone without a ticket can draw for the remaining blinds. Again, usually drawn in the order you show up.

As far as Greenbottom goes, you don't have to enter a lottery or anything. I think you just show up and get a permit the morning of your hunt. I would assume they cut it off after a certain number of people. It's not nearly as big as McClintic is.

#6 ·
blinds at Mcclintic are never drawn in order you show up its always random if you get drawn. shown up many times right before the cut off only to pick in the top 3. As for greenbottom there is no cut off on the number of people as long as you are there during the times they give the permits. Some years there will have 120-150 people there on opening morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.