Better late than never!

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

Better late than never!

Postby Kgrant01 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi y'all I hope you're seasons are treating you well and that you've had success and have been safe. So I guess it's better late then never but come hell or high water I'm bound and determined to get back into waterfowl hunting like I use to be .So I thought id start this thread and see where it goes. What kind of gear do y'all use here In the cowboy state? What are some must haves and good extras? Dos and do nots What calls do y'all use and how did you learn? what's your favorite gun ?and do you use a dog? Lets get this Wyoming forum going. Thanks for your time and happy hunting .
Respectfully, Kgrant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kgrant01
Newb

Re: Better late than never!

Postby honkerbonker22 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:42 pm

I run a zink lil man goose call and a ccc Illinois cut duck call mostly. Scouting is crucial. So is shooting straight lol
wack'em and stack'em
honkerbonker22
hunter

Postby Kgrant01 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Haha shooting straight is always a plus too bad I can't i think I have crooked eyes or it's The shotgun but it's definitely not me : p. scouting is always important. I've never heard of ccc calls do you like it? I use a Sean Mann goose call and a couple of echo duck calls. I have been using bad grammer to learn the goose call again. What layout blind do you like ?

Kgrant01
Newb

Postby BGipson » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:34 pm

I run a RNT Short Barrel for a duck call and a Toxic TBH goose call. Avian-X duck floaters and super old 2 piece full body geese. A boat or a dog are vital in the areas I hunt due to big and/or moving water. Scouting is key like was mentioned. As for a gun, I run the Remington Versa Max with a patternmaster and kill the tar out of anything dumb enough to come in

sent from jail
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Kgrant01 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:15 pm

I'm looking into buying some full bodies but I don't know how many I need to be effective . How do you like your Versa max? I shoot a Winchester sxp and a Tristar.
Over under that shoots 31/2 if I need them it's a way fun gun to shoot. Do you train your own dog?

Kgrant01
Newb

Postby BGipson » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:32 am

Yeah I trained my pup. I love my Versa Max cuz it seems to run regardless of the conditions as long as I keep it dry. As far as full bodies go, it depends what you're wanting to use them for. If you are on the X, a dozen and a half full body geese will be plenty for you alone as long as you have a great hide. Ducks in a field you can use goose decoys and Mojos. Duck full bodies on ice or sandbars are great confidence boosters but far from necessary.

sent from jail
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby loner » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:42 pm

what part of the state you in kgrant01?
loner
hunter

Postby kgrant » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:34 am

I don't know why I have two user names weird must be because of tapatalk Any ways. That's awesome I would love to see a picture of your pup Bgipson. So two dozen decoys would work just fine then? I have never shot ducks out of a field on purpose any way lol :thumbsup: so thanks for the advice. What layout blind do you like I have an old beat up Hardcore man cave that I need to upgrade I think I want something more low profile . Loner I live in Star valley.
kgrant
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:46 am

If you're hunting solo, yes 2 dozen is good, just be where they want to be. Leia is still in training, but is starting to get the hang of it. She hasn't gotten to go on many of the hunts since I try to keep her with just myself or 1 other shooter to minimize chaos for her sake. I run a Ground Force but it's huge and a pain to hide. I'd look more at a Run n Gun type blind that has a backrest with a blanket-type leg cover to really minimize profile and get rid of the blocky shape of a layout. I don't get to do as much field hunting as I'd like so I haven't messed with it too much. I also have another way of hiding layouts but that's a trade secret lol

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Kgrant01 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:43 am

I love the black dogs. That's understandable. I bet it's awesome to watch her retrieve though. Right on guess I'll start saving for some decoys and I know what you mean I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve too lol

Kgrant01
Newb

Postby honkerbonker22 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:43 am

I run a ground force. I like it. 2 dozen fullbodies is all I run by myself. Ccc is committed custom calls. I like that call a lot. Easy to blow not much air needed
wack'em and stack'em
honkerbonker22
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:51 pm

Was a decent morning with a buddy in Western Wyoming. We were quite surprised by the pins but not so much we couldn't shoot. A little better shooting and we would have had our 4th. Also shocked to see a juvy snow floating along...

sent from jail

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby honkerbonker22 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Nice shoot! Pinnies are pretty rare in western wyoming for sure.
wack'em and stack'em
honkerbonker22
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Luckily I had 2 pin deeks in the spread and my whistle I use for Pintails and they sucked right in to 10 yards :grooving:

sent from jail

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Kgrant01 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:46 am

Man I love sprigs they're by far my favorite looking duck. Definitely a great shoot for sure. I have still never shot a widgeon. Duck whistles are deadly I have turned lots of weary ducks with mine. Especially in the later season. Honker have you been shooting any birds lately with this weather we are having?

Kgrant01
Newb

Postby honkerbonker22 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:58 am

I haven't hunted over here for weeks. Just spent the last week in Kansas. This is the time of year that shooting goldeneyes is the main target
wack'em and stack'em
honkerbonker22
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:05 pm

honkerbonker22 wrote:I haven't hunted over here for weeks. Just spent the last week in Kansas. This is the time of year that shooting goldeneyes is the main target

There was definitely no shortage of them but none were really slowing down to give us good shots at the drakes so we just watched the show.

sent from jail

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby kgrant » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:19 am

I have seen some divers lately also when I have been out and about just putting around but for the last couple of days all I have seen is freaking snow lol :grooving: hope you guys are still finding success and are being safe. also I think this is the longest thread this forum page has seen in quite a while thanks for all the input guys. I hope yall have very merry Christmases. :clapping:
kgrant
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue May 17, 2016 4:09 pm

BGipson wrote:If you're hunting solo, yes 2 dozen is good, just be where they want to be. Leia is still in training, but is starting to get the hang of it. She hasn't gotten to go on many of the hunts since I try to keep her with just myself or 1 other shooter to minimize chaos for her sake. I run a Ground Force but it's huge and a pain to hide. I'd look more at a Run n Gun type blind that has a backrest with a blanket-type leg cover to really minimize profile and get rid of the blocky shape of a layout. I don't get to do as much field hunting as I'd like so I haven't messed with it too much. I also have another way of hiding layouts but that's a trade secret lol

I also have an unusual way of hiding my layout blind.
I hide mine in the garage.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting