Invading your state

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

Invading your state

Postby Duckinsam » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:54 pm

Well folks, I thought I'd come over here to mention that for this summer, from may till August, I will be in your state working in Cody. I know that this isn't duck hunting related, but I thought I'd get a feel for what the state is like, and maybe make some connections for when the big graduation comes, maybe I can find a permanent gig up there.

So any tips for a Texan that'll be spending the summer in Cody?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure
Duckinsam
hunter

Re: Invading your state

Postby BGipson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:06 pm

Bring a small caliber varmint rifle and plenty of ammo for prairie dogs. Sunscreen cuz this high elevation sun seems to sneak up on you and turn you to a lobster quick. I don't know about the fishing in those parts but fishing gear is never a bad idea especially if you can travel a bit and work on your cut' slam.

sent from jail
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:14 pm

Cut slam? I take it that there's multiple species of cutthroat trout to go after?

Duckinsam
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:30 pm

Exactly. I know of the Bonneville, Yellowstone, and a few others.

sent from jail
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:12 am

Not to mention every ditch and canal has 16" + trout, rainbows, Germans, etc. It's a tough call when I'm outhere hunting, not to pack a lightweight rod and a few spinners.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:44 am

I have an 8 wt flyrod I use for saltwater fishing and a 5 wt that I use for bass, should I bring those?

Duckinsam
hunter

Invading your state

Postby Abomb » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:15 am

Removed.
Abomb
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:29 am

Man I love it out here. Fishing the north fork is kinda tough right now considering the fast current and muddy water, but still this area is an outdoor paradise! If the north fork doesn't slow down soon I may try something different but that'll have to wait for a day off.

Duckinsam
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:53 am

Duckinsam wrote:Man I love it out here. Fishing the north fork is kinda tough right now considering the fast current and muddy water, but still this area is an outdoor paradise! If the north fork doesn't slow down soon I may try something different but that'll have to wait for a day off.

Naw! Don't cozy up in the Intermountain West.
There are so many things to deal with here. Getting tags for multiple numbers of big game species, such as multiple Pronghorns, Trophy Mule deer, Elk, Moose. How does one bear the burden of such decisions? You'll have to get used to being lonely in Wyoming when out on a hunt. None of the comradery of other hunters in just every valley or mountain range you may choose to hunt, unless you bring them with you
How does one stand seeing more game than people on a hunt? Haven't we outgrown that?
Break those fishing rods over your knee lest you be beguiled into accepting too few...too many...!
Too few People, too many choices of things to outdoors.
I have friends that fell into that trap.
Don't let it happen to you!
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:20 pm

Well folks the butt and bottom part of the reel seat of my fly rod came unglued and lost. Anyone know of where to find a replacement?

Duckinsam
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Duckinsam wrote:Well folks the butt and bottom part of the reel seat of my fly rod came unglued and lost. Anyone know of where to find a replacement?

They sell new ones all day long on just every flat spot that I know of. Don't waste fishing time waiting to find a repair!
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:13 pm

I'd try the company that makes the rod but as FS said, that could leave you without a rod the rest of summer...

Sent from jail

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:14 am

Well folk's, I hate to tell y'all that I have returned to Texas on account of becoming very ill from a tick borne illness. The doc said it'll be roughly 3 weeks to be completely rid of the infection, and then however long after that before I can stand physical labor again. I absolutely hated having to leave early, but I can promise you that I will be back. Hopefully next time I can get away from the tourist lol
Duckinsam
hunter

Postby BGipson » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:41 am

Let me know when you decide to visit the west side and I'll get you on a few birds.

Sent from jail

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:52 am

Duckinsam wrote:Well folk's, I hate to tell y'all that I have returned to Texas on account of becoming very ill from a tick borne illness. The doc said it'll be roughly 3 weeks to be completely rid of the infection, and then however long after that before I can stand physical labor again. I absolutely hated having to leave early, but I can promise you that I will be back. Hopefully next time I can get away from the tourist lol

permethrin !
Red Huck
hunter

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting