Worland Duck Hunters

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

Worland Duck Hunters

Postby mgorm16640 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:19 pm

Recently moved to WY and looking for someone to kill some birds with this winter...in the Worland/Thermop area. I have a Golden that is getting ready for her first season and has the makings of a great duck dog. Would love to get her off to a great start.
mgorm16640
Newb

Re: Worland Duck Hunters

Postby BGipson » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Welcome! I'm a few hours west of you so I can't much help you over there but you ever find yourself in the Kemmerer area or desperate for birds and willing to travel, hit me up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby mgorm16640 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:21 am

Hey Thanks. I appreciate it. I will definitely keep that in mind.
mgorm16640
Newb

Postby SpeedGoat » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:16 pm

BGipson wrote:Welcome! I'm a few hours west of you so I can't much help you over there but you ever find yourself in the Kemmerer area or desperate for birds and willing to travel, hit me up.

New to chat just looking for some tips on hunting Wyo area, calling, sets and types of ducks
Not sure how to chat with BGipson

SpeedGoat
hunter

Postby BGipson » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:51 pm

SpeedGoat wrote:
BGipson wrote:Welcome! I'm a few hours west of you so I can't much help you over there but you ever find yourself in the Kemmerer area or desperate for birds and willing to travel, hit me up.

New to chat just looking for some tips on hunting Wyo area, calling, sets and types of ducks
Not sure how to chat with BGipson

PM Sent

Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby SpeedGoat » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:40 am

Sorry I am not permitted to reply to you I guess in messenger. I need more interaction :sad:
Anyways thanks for the spread suggestions. I'm over on the North Platte River Douglas area. Just started hunting fowl last year. Staggered through last year pretty good. My calling Im sure needs some work and kinda got the decoy position down just seemed slow over here. But I have nothing to compare it to either. Mainly goldeneyes and mallards. Got a one wood duck in the early season that was a bonus. Hunting the river and it didn't take long to figure out you need 8oz weights to keep them in place. Pretty good current. Good goose hunting on the fields right behind the blind and I am by no means very good at that. Managed to get a couple to drop in but for the amount of birds I thought I could've got way more. How many goose decoys would you say is enough? It's just me and my dad most of the time. So I got like a dozen shells and 6 full bodies. Try to make a mini V with most of the decoys closer to us. Seemed to work ok but hiding could have been better I think.
SpeedGoat
hunter

Postby BGipson » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:44 am

I've killed geese over as few as 18 and as many as 14 dozen. The key is getting hid to invisibility. Geese are especially picky about your hide. I'd recommend layout blinds along field edges or rock piles where there is taller grass. I currently run 4 to 6 dozen full body geese on the rare field hunt I do get to make. Mostly rough family groups spread in a loose U or X depending on wind. U for more wind, X for less. With your water hunts, the key is to make your spot as inviting as possible if you aren't where they want to be. This mean calling how they want to be called and having a relaxed, inviting spread. I run Avian X floaters since they have multiple body positions in all of their species. I don't feel all birds heads up is relaxed, that looks like birds ready to spring into flight. Also once things start icing up, I break out some shells and place them along the ice like birds loafing the day away.

I'd focus on your quacks and feeder chuckle as I've killed more birds with those simple sounds than any other, plus all other sounds are built off those 2 sounds.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby SpeedGoat » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:02 am

Right on thanks for the insight! I have got a way better response from you than the couple of locals from around here. The one property I have my duck blind on has had a ton geese and I usually just end up pass shooting them. It wasn't until towards the end of season I decided to pursue the geese and yes this meant laying in the irrigation ditch under a white sheet. What geese I did get to drop in was awesome, definitely hooked beyond repair now. My father and I both just purchased layout blinds for this season for better concealment. Oh and quick question on those. Do you mud your blind up or is that a waste of time? I was planning on doing it just didn't know if I was wasting my time. It's a Cabela's layout and said had some dull camo finish so I was thinking that meant mudding it up wasn't needed. I am currently talking to another ranch whom I help brand cow every year for if I could get permission to hunt his fields for geese. Seems like they love his property. Fingers crossed because I guess he doesn't let anyone hunt it for geese from what I've heard. But during the dove season I've hunted and seen numerous Sandhills on it. Which this area is a general season for Sandhills. Would love to target them as well.
SpeedGoat
hunter

Postby BGipson » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:07 pm

SpeedGoat wrote:Right on thanks for the insight! I have got a way better response from you than the couple of locals from around here. The one property I have my duck blind on has had a ton geese and I usually just end up pass shooting them. It wasn't until towards the end of season I decided to pursue the geese and yes this meant laying in the irrigation ditch under a white sheet. What geese I did get to drop in was awesome, definitely hooked beyond repair now. My father and I both just purchased layout blinds for this season for better concealment. Oh and quick question on those. Do you mud your blind up or is that a waste of time? I was planning on doing it just didn't know if I was wasting my time. It's a Cabela's layout and said had some dull camo finish so I was thinking that meant mudding it up wasn't needed. I am currently talking to another ranch whom I help brand cow every year for if I could get permission to hunt his fields for geese. Seems like they love his property. Fingers crossed because I guess he doesn't let anyone hunt it for geese from what I've heard. But during the dove season I've hunted and seen numerous Sandhills on it. Which this area is a general season for Sandhills. Would love to target them as well.

You can either mud or lightly spray paint to take the shine off the new fabric. Cordura Nylon naturally have a shine to it that can make a small difference. If you lightly paint, I'd use Rustoleum flat tan or brown. I'd also take a rake and possibly a cutter of some sort with you each hunt to collect material to brush up. You want to fill every stubble strap so it just looks like a clump the farmer cleaned out of his combine

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby SpeedGoat » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks Sir for your time if you ever get around Douglas way your more than welcome to hit me up. Not sure if I could give you my email on here or not. But hit me up.
SpeedGoat
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Be careful of that BGipson dude. Can't call, can't shoot, blind as a bat and he never stops talking. :wink: :lol3:

I hunted antelope around Worland last year but didn't have much time to look for birds. Did very well with a friend a good way north of there though. Just keep pecking away at it. Watch real birds and try to do what they do. :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:15 pm

Mean Gene wrote:Be careful of that BGipson dude. Can't call, can't shoot, blind as a bat and he never stops talking. :wink: [emoji38]3:

I hunted antelope around Worland last year but didn't have much time to look for birds. Did very well with a friend a good way north of there though. Just keep pecking away at it. Watch real birds and try to do what they do. [emoji106]

Thanks for the kind words Gene! I need a few more hunts with you to learn that close range mallard decapitation technique!

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:45 am

Maybe this year I'll show you how to skin and gut them with the same shot. :lol3:
Mean Gene
hunter

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting