New to Wyoming

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

New to Wyoming

Postby mudduck123 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:27 pm

I just signed a offer letter for a oilfield company out of Gillette Wyoming. That's a long ways for this Texas guy lol. Looking forward to the experience of living in a new state completely and wanna take full advantage of what Wyoming has to offer. I'm pretty excited because of how much nicer the people seem to be. I called a apartment place and talked on the phone with him for 20 minutes like I knew the guy my whole life. That kind of friendliness doesn't exist down here in my area. The old saying keep your friends close and your enemies closer is exactly the way it is in Texas. I figured id try to meet some people on the duckhuntingchat and see if anyone had any advice for a non resident Wyoming as far as duck hunting. Ive been doing it for 10 years now and its kind of a bummer that after I work my butt off down here and get the gator tail , the monster hunting dog, and place to consistently kill birds the oilfield calls me to Wyoming. Please don't take it as a handout for spots, ill put the leg work in ive done it up and down the gulf coast of texas. I'm more of looking for some kind of advice as far as how to proceed with finding spots such as legality, networking and regulations. Also how to avoid mistakes that would label me that guy from Texas would be great.
Thanks and hopefully this next upcoming season ill be back on here with good news instead of a Black Lab staring me down in pure disappointment. :beer:
mudduck123
hunter

Re: New to Wyoming

Postby BGipson » Mon May 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Welcome to our great state! I'm on the other side of the state but can give you some general advice from having moved around quite a bit prior to settling here. In Wyoming, it is the duty of the sportsman to know what property he is on so I'd suggest getting OnX or some other landowner program that works offline. I don't know about the east side of the state but the west side has terrible cell reception with anything but Verizon or Union. You'll put on a lot of miles since water isn't nearly as common here as other places. Most of my spots are 20-50 miles from my house and the way the highways/roads are laid out, I basically have to return home before taking off to the next spot. Over here, we shoot a majority of mallards and Canada geese with some Greenwing teal and wigeon. As it gets to be late season, you'll have to get creative with your scouting since water usually freezes before season closes. I have hot springs and other sources that don't freeze that become my only options from November on usually. Any other questions, hit me up
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Wyokid212 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:27 pm

Welcome! I've lived in Gillette most of my life, good to hear the oil is remotely active again. When are you planning on come up here? If you're excited about bird hunting in this part of wyo I'm gonna have to temper your expectations. It's not terrible up here but it's nothing like what you are used to. Mostly potholes, creeks and a lake or two. In fact if you tell people you bird hunt you get some weird looks. It's big game country up here. Be mindful of the ranchers but don't let them push you around either. There are a few that try to buffalo guys off public land and some that will chew you out for not shooting a coyote on private. I could really take up some space talking about Gillette. If you want shoot me a PM :welcome:
I have lost many girlfriends because of hunting and surrounded by silence and bird dogs all I can say is... Worth it
Wyokid212
hunter

Postby mudduck123 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 pm

First id like to say thanks for the friendly response, that kind of open arms don't exist in the texas side of this forum. Youll immediately get run out like the members are border patrol and how dare you wanna hunt is the attitude most common. Thank you for the suggestion I've actually got that app now because i used it in down south texas where property lines are real weird and you must have some kind of idea of where your going and the legality of the spot. I know Texas has this like persona of duck killing all over but its not really that great where i am. I close to Houston and its very tough, most days you wont kill a bird let alone get a shot. These past few years in my area have been pretty awful even for some guides that i help struggle. We just don't the amount of birds that we use to. You got up toward the northern Texas and find a private place of water in west texas youll be successful. I'm open to anybody that like to meet up drink a cold beverage and talk, that's the only way i was successful down here was networking. I had people north south and east that hunted and we would talk and make trips to each other to kill the birds. I'm a firm believer of making friends with duck hunters and putting in work with them to locate and kill birds. I would go scout with them because i got the only boat that could make it some places, or their dog wasn't as good as mine or they didn't have one. So we would work together they have the spot but maybe i had all the decoys the dog and boat. If we went to my spot they always came down a day early and helped me scout giving me ideas and get our "pit blind " ready. I'm hoping to meet some of the same kind of people that enjoy the experience and killing birds is a bonus. i was checking online looks like i was late for the drawings for big game in that area, which is a bummer cause i wanted to go hunt my first mule deer or pronghorn but oh well maybe next year.
mudduck123
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue May 22, 2018 10:18 pm

Deer and goat application period is open til end of the month so you're not too late. You'll still have to pay nonresident until next year since it takes a full year to establish residency.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby mudduck123 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Thank you hopefully i can get there before the end of the month and get everything i need. I know its more expensive for non residents be counting down the days until I'm a resident lol .
mudduck123
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue May 22, 2018 10:59 pm

If I wasn't about as far away as you can get, I'd invite you over to kill some birds. Hell, the offer is there but I doubt you'd want to drive 6+ hours for a couple mallards and goldeneye (if you're into shooting divers which I generally don't). My cousin, some buddies and I are planning a trip over towards your corner of the state with some leftover whitetail doe tags in November.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby mudduck123 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 am

hahahaha fun fact for you in my part of the woods I'm know as the redhead killer lol. Them son of guns follow me, i hunted down south texas killed em , drive back to the rice fields where they haven't shot any in years first hunt we shoot 4 man limit of em. Divers are not safe with me lol. Ive never killed any goldeneyes so that would be a cool bird to have, plus we don't generally kill any mallards around here either so both birds are cool with me. Whenever yall get here in November be sure not to forget about me and give me a shout. Hopefully i can get a tag for something and join yall. 6 hours aint to bad i drove 12 to shoot Canada geese and sandhills up by Lubbock.
mudduck123
hunter

Postby Wyokid212 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:03 pm

BGipson wrote:If I wasn't about as far away as you can get, I'd invite you over to kill some birds. Hell, the offer is there but I doubt you'd want to drive 6+ hours for a couple mallards and goldeneye (if you're into shooting divers which I generally don't). My cousin, some buddies and I are planning a trip over towards your corner of the state with some leftover whitetail doe tags in November.

Which area are you hitting? I'm doing a type 3 in that 11-14 and a type 7 in 23/26. I'm more of a mule deer hunter but can't help getting some good alfalfa fed whiteys.

Mudduck123 don't be afraid to bring some of those redheads up here. I've only seen one small flock in S.Dakota and I almost wrecked the truck and boat trying to get a better look... Worth it
I have lost many girlfriends because of hunting and surrounded by silence and bird dogs all I can say is... Worth it
Wyokid212
hunter

Postby mudduck123 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 am

Hahaha that’s dedication to a redhead. They are run for a little bit but since the limit is only 2 gets old.
mudduck123
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sat May 26, 2018 1:54 am

Wyokid212 wrote:
BGipson wrote:If I wasn't about as far away as you can get, I'd invite you over to kill some birds. Hell, the offer is there but I doubt you'd want to drive 6+ hours for a couple mallards and goldeneye (if you're into shooting divers which I generally don't). My cousin, some buddies and I are planning a trip over towards your corner of the state with some leftover whitetail doe tags in November.

Which area are you hitting? I'm doing a type 3 in that 11-14 and a type 7 in 23/26. I'm more of a mule deer hunter but can't help getting some good alfalfa fed whiteys.

Mudduck123 don't be afraid to bring some of those redheads up here. I've only seen one small flock in S.Dakota and I almost wrecked the truck and boat trying to get a better look... Worth it
No idea yet. We will see what area has leftovers closer to November and go wherever there is tags. We're mule deer and elk hunters ourselves but won't pass the chance to add a little crop fed whitetail to the freezer.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby teamflightstoppersND » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Hello All,

I also just moved to Casper, WY this spring from the waterfowl mecca of ND. I have learned it is going to be tougher to get on birds down here with less water and less areas open to hunting. I have narrowed my focus down to the north platte river system and the Torrington (East WY) areas. I have a trailer full of field decoys so it would be nice to use them, but also have a water decoys if I need to stick to water. I am not looking for anyone's honey holes but I do have some questions about hunting down here:

What is the best way to contact landowners to gain access to fields? Are they bombarded with hunters trying to gain access? What are my chances of gaining access?

Is there anyway to sublease access to fields that the guides have locked up? I dont necessarily need a guide to take me because I have my own blinds, decoys, and gear. I just need access to a field and am willing to pay a marginal fee to gain permission.

Anyone have any helpful advice or good to know items?

If anyone wants to get out and has access let me know and I'll bring the decoys!

I hope you all have a good season, shoot straight!
teamflightstoppersND
hunter

Postby one8sevenn » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:24 am

A few places to check out.

A good place to start is here -> https://wgfd.wyo.gov/public-access

You can look at the walk in hunting areas, hunter management areas, and hunter/landowner assistance program to try and find people.

Another good resource is going to be calling the wildlife ranger in the area and the number can be obtained by calling or emailing Wyoming Game and Fish.

Another good resource is OnX maps, it gives you the landowner names and you can attempt to find the landowner and ask for permission.
Elk don't know how many feet a horse has! No, you durn fool, slide it up over the saddle. - Bear Claw
one8sevenn
hunter

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting