A month

Post your views on the Wyoming duck hunting forum.

A month

Postby one8sevenn » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:34 pm

32 days until early goose.

Tick. Tock.

Tick. Tock
Elk don't know how many feet a horse has! No, you durn fool, slide it up over the saddle. - Bear Claw
one8sevenn
hunter

Re: A month

Postby BGipson » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm

You know it! Took a drive past 1 of my fields today and nothing yet but they just baled it so the flood irrigation should start soon and they'll load in there.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby one8sevenn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:04 am

The Geese are absolutely thick this year.

*edit by indaswamp

Tick. Tock.
Elk don't know how many feet a horse has! No, you durn fool, slide it up over the saddle. - Bear Claw
one8sevenn
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Good thing I'm not hunting any of those places since everyone from Utah will see them listed now and pile in haha
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby one8sevenn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Haha probably not. The out of state license is a big hurdle to get over for most.

Those that do hunt early also can add Idaho to their list you can take one more goose to your bag limit and pick up a crane tag to boot.
one8sevenn
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:15 pm

I saw multiple groups from Utah last year in the areas you mentioned. The 2 years prior was 1 group because it was still the 2 bird limit. I've seen multiple posts on Facebook asking about our early season so I know more are coming...

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby one8sevenn » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:07 pm

We will see.

(*edit by Indaswamp) There are a lot of places that will be to be had even with an influx of people. Like I said, Idaho makes a lot more sense for those looking to get out, but if they decide to come to Wyoming to spend money that it will be worth it for game in the long run.
one8sevenn
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:15 pm

A couple dozen $70 licenses won't make a difference but a couple dozen extra hunters will... we don't have enough birds to support that kind of pressure. I've seen this crap happen other places I've lived so I'm speaking from experience when I tell you it's a bad idea to put ANY info out where folks can find it.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby MountainGreenhead » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:37 pm

I highly suggest you trash can your scouting success and keep it between friends. Gipson is correct about the Utah hunters moving in. I am an out of state hunter who hunts Utah, Idaho and Wyoming every year for the past 6 years.
$70 For a season license is pretty inexpensive compared to much of the West and a trade off for guys who want to hunt with little pressure. If you think $70 for a license to a Utah group of guys who have a decoy trailer loaded with full body dekes is gonna be a deterrent you are incorrect.
You may not see a sudden influx of competition, many who have very poor ethics, this year but you will see them in years to come as internet postings like yours continue.
I love the Idaho forum on here, but the Utah forum has turned to 90% internet scouting.
Bottom line is that when you hunt mostly public lands, don't tell he world where to go.There are an estimated 25000 waterfowl hunters in Utah and moany of them are looking for places to hunt away from each other.
"No, there's no such thing as dedicated about it. You guys just like to kill stuff."
MountainGreenhead
hunter

Postby one8sevenn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:20 am

Scouting success. Noticing more birds in places is scouting success?

I named two lakes that have decent fishing, A big long river, and two big cities with a lot of private land. These are general areas that can be accessible to everyone.

$70 dollars to hunt is a good number to a good portion of that 25k you mentioned.

I look at it a bit differently than you do. If we get an influx of people wanting to hunt ducks here, then groups like DU and Wyoming will look at improving habitat in the area. The bighorn basin and the plains have a lot better habitat, but I think there are areas in SW Wyoming that can have a decent amount of habitat for ducks. (edit by Indaswamp) A plus side of this habitat is that it would also hold deer and potentially moose to increase opportunity on the big game front.

The Beauty of having public lands is that their is a plethora of places to go. There are many places even in Utah that people do not go, because they prefer the dikes of the WMA. If the land is public and accessible to everyone, then there are many opportunities.

On a side note: No crane tag for me this year.
one8sevenn
hunter

Postby BGipson » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:57 am

I'll keep my current habitat and lack of hunters rather than having some "better" habitat and being overrun... I've hunted states with AMAZING bird habitat but when guys are pounding away at the birds every day in every legal place, the birds have no reason to hang around... I don't think you fully grasp the implication of an influx of hunters...

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby one8sevenn » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 am

Yeah, I am not one for the kings deer or the kings ducks.

It is hunting and I do not mind seeing other hunters, if they want to come to Wyoming to hunt then come and spend money in Wyoming.
one8sevenn
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:55 pm

one8sevenn wrote:Yeah, I am not one for the kings deer or the kings ducks.

It is hunting and I do not mind seeing other hunters, if they want to come to Wyoming to hunt then come and spend money in Wyoming.

one8sevenn, this is a very public forum. It has been an unwritten policy since before I joined that public areas that hold birds are not to be posted. It just makes it way too convenient for cyberscouters, and we at DHC do not like cyberscouters. If locations continue to be posted, this thread will be moved to the mod forum. If a new thread is started with locations being posted, it will be moved and members that post locations will be banned. Consider this the first warning.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby one8sevenn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 am

Alright, haha
one8sevenn
hunter

Return to Wyoming Duck Hunting