Duck Hunting Forum banner

Wounded goose in the field

10K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  Rick Hall 
#1 ·
How do you guys finish a wounded goose out in the fields, without making too much blood..
And is blood that much of an issuie?

#2 ·
Depends on the situation. If it just has a broken wing and can still still run, just shoot them again. If they are mostly out of it just break the neck. Blood on the ground hasn't been an issue in my experience.

#3 ·
"The windmill"

Grab the goose with both hands and spin it several times. Don't use one had as most people don't have the hand strength to do it properly and will torture it with only one hand.

Blood had never ruined a hunt, but upside down geese can flare them off. :smile:

#9 ·
Once youve caught the crippled bird, grasp it by the neck, close to the head with your weak hand (opposite of the hand you write or shoot with). With your strong hand, grasp the bird's head by rotating your hand as far around as possible and start twisting the bird's head till you feel the spine separate and then give it a bit more. It will kill the bird quickly and humanely with a minimum of blood and gore. If you don't wana donthat, the ole' windmill crank will work too. :wink:

#15 ·
Honkerblaster said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
AkHuntress said:
Headfirst tackle followed by the windmill...
Do you have video evidence of this happening ?
Lol
We sent my son after a big wing shot honker when he was about 8. The goose pecked him and beat the heck out of his legs for a minute until he finally got over the shock and got mad, tackle and windmill. His sisters still call him "the goose wrangler" sometimes!

#16 ·
Wish I had a video of the time I fell chasing one down! I was chasing one down in an extra sloppy cornfield, slipped and fell face first, covered with all kinds of wet manure and mud. :mad: Got up and continued after him and tackled the goose. Of course another flock was cupped and committed at this time, so I just held the goose under me while he groaned & growled. After that flock got shot up, windmill! That was the best felt windmill I had ever done I was so mad! :grooving: My friend did have his camera, but had failed to get that portion on film. Good Times! :thumbsup:

#22 ·
after years of banging heads on oars etc in the boat...decided to carry large set of pliers with me....the adjustable ones are best...basically crimp the neck behind head...quick and easy....boat full of blood isnt flash.its amazing how long a wounded bird can hold its breath under water...but sooner or later they have to breath..I will let you join the dots on that one.works when shooting in kayak. nothing quite like paddling around corner to surprise group of geese or mallards.

#23 ·
Ek, a bird's neck will bend in a "U" in any direction but straight back, in which case the mid-section vertebrae will lock to form a rigid section that's easily snapped backwards. No muss, no fuss, no digging for pliers, etc. The bird may flop a bit, but the orthopedic surgeon who showed me that trick (and other MDs and a pathologist since) have assured me the bird is then dead for ethical purposes.

#26 ·
Rick Hall said:
First time I saw one of those $15 nails I howled, but it seems like they've sold a million of 'em to paraphernalia craving waterfowlers.
Some of us are just suckers for the newest and greatest.
I always try to have half the seats in the blind taken by such addicts.

Me? I just like to waste money and time trying to 'create' the newest and greatest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.