shovelers?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

shovelers?

Postby thomashamm2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:55 pm

title pretty much says it all i got 1 hen shoveler. Any good?
thomashamm2
hunter

Re: shovelers?

Postby rcatron » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:05 am

I've never been able to tell a difference between a shoveler and what many consider to be the "good" ducks. I figure where I shoot them they are eating the same thing as everything else.
rcatron
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:51 am

rcatron wrote:I've never been able to tell a difference between a shoveler and what many consider to be the "good" ducks. I figure where I shoot them they are eating the same thing as everything else.

exactly.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:45 am

Biggest problem with Shovelers, aside from bad press from the uninformed, is their feeding habits. Early in the year they are prone to get sarcosis, aka rice breast, from feeding on invertebrates in warm water. They don't fatten up as readily as our Greenwings in Arkansas but after a few weeks in the rice fields they eat just as well as the Teal. We make kabobs, bacon wrapped on the grill stuffed with cream cheese and jalapenos or gumbo with them. Have roasted some along with other ducks just to prove a point and can't tell the difference. But we don't usually shoot them as a rule since we have so many others to choose from. However, late season drakes make fine trophies and are much sought after by the collectors.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:33 am

cook them like any other duck you can never go wrong with pounding out the breast with a meat mallet breading and frying them in bacon grease everything taste good that way.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:42 pm

handyandy wrote:cook them like any other duck you can never go wrong with pounding out the breast with a meat mallet breading and frying them in bacon grease everything taste good that way.

Exactly! Bacon is the cure-all for everything. Either wrap it in bacon or fry it in bacon. BACON! :lol:

And it works great in keeping Jihadists away too. Just pull out a pound of BACON and watch them run! :hammer:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking