Ground duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Ground duck

Postby MOhunter08 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:45 pm

Anyone here every put their duck meat through the grinder and make sausage out of it?
MOhunter08
hunter

Re: Ground duck

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:30 am

MOhunter08 wrote:Anyone here every put their duck meat through the grinder and make sausage out of it?

No, but it would be a great way to get it where that pesky guy with the badge can't count them (ducks) very well.
Leave a fully feathered wing attached when you run it through the grinder. It will be good.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby duckblind1982 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:49 am

Yep... I make sausage out of all my geese and if I have extra duck meat I will grind that and use it as well. Turns out really good. I just buy a kit with your favorite seasonings and go from there.
duckblind1982
hunter

Postby migr82az » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:28 pm

I keep a good portion of duck and goose breast and leg meat frozen until I start to approach a possession limit. The photo below is birds from 3 hunters, processed in batch since cleaning the equipment takes longer than processing.
I cut it with about 20% pork butt (prospecting a ~10% fat content).
Grind, having the meat at least partially frozen is key.
After mixing in seasonings with cold water and cure, in 5lb batches, I loaded up the sausage stuffer with collagen 17mm smoked snack stick casings, they work much better after spending a night in the fridge, gives them a little moisture.
Creating several batches of filled snack stick casings.
I smoked most but tried baking some as well, tried several recipes including some homemade and some premade packages from Backwoods (LEM), also tried several snack sticks with no casing at all (baking only).
Baked at 180F and smoked at 200F until internal temps reached 165F. Cut long links into snack sticks and packaged in varieties. Some for short term consumption in zip locks, most for long term consumption, vacuum sealed then frozen.
Baked -
Smoked -
Hunting, fishing, hiking and healthy snack foods for months to come. Hope this gives folks a better idea of the process as a whole. More time than difficulty! Same process works any game meat. When you cut it with pork, make sure it get the internal temp to 165.
migr82az
hunter

Postby MOhunter08 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:14 pm

^^^ That's awesome! I'm going to have to try it!
MOhunter08
hunter

Postby duckblind1982 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:19 am

Migr82az........ that's the same way I do mine :thumbsup: . I use pork butt/should as well. I used to buy pork trimmings but realize the meat came out pretty soft. Basically to much fat. I am starting to get away from the snack sticks and use 2" casing for summer sausage. I cut up a few sections with some cheese and crackers and this stuff never last long around my house. Especially when we have people over. They have no idea it's goose or duck.

Where did you get your stuffer at? I'm in the process of finding one but want metal gears and not pay a couple hundred dollars. Our grinder works well but the suffers I borrowed in the past work a lot better.
duckblind1982
hunter

Postby migr82az » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:58 am

I tried both beef and pork trimmings, pork butt/shoulder has by far been the best for all my game meat. I have done many summer sausages with deer but haven't tried it with duck/goose yet, will definitely try it this year, sounds great!
:thumbsup:

I bought the 5lb LEM sausage stuffer from Amazon. Great reviews, already had Amazon Prime, so free 2day shipping and no tax.
http://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-Stainless-Vertical-Sausage/dp/B000SQDTRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412088575&sr=8-1&keywords=lem+sausage+stuffer

It was a little pricey but I get good use out of it. Several dozen ducks, a few geese, deer, javelina, and occasionally a bonus elk make their way through the grinder and stuffer each year. The grinder stuffed by itself but it is so much easier with the stuffer. I spend far less time dealing with air in and/or busting the casings.
migr82az
hunter

Postby duckblind1982 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks for the link. That was the one I was looking at. I like the all metal gears. Yeah, give the summer sausage for your fowl a try. Also, do you have a problem with your meat drying out? I usually only smoke to internal temp of 151-153. I figured anything higher would render the fat out and become dry.
duckblind1982
hunter

Postby migr82az » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:14 pm

I don't usually have a problem with it drying out, but I am sure to grind the meat a good 3 times and evenly distribute the fat. I haven't smoked to lower internal temp either though so maybe I'm just conditioned to the dryness and don't know any better.

I do know this though, no one complains when I share it!

Good luck shooting your sausage stuffing this year!
migr82az
hunter

Postby migr82az » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:37 pm

I've also made bratwurst style sausages and they were delicious as well, don't why I didn't add it on my initial post. It's tough to go wrong with sausage, and a great way to prepare a mixed bag of ducks.

IMAG04.jpg
IMAG04.jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
migr82az
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Smoked cheddar goose brats (some duck meat mixed in). I also make goose and duck summer sausage and trail bologna. My favorite way to make the summer sausage is to the original seasoning and adding jarred chopped jalapeno and sharp cheddar cheese.
Attachments
Smoked Cheddar Brats (334x500).jpg
Smoked Cheddar Brats (334x500).jpg (147.52 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:56 pm

to the OP:
Yes, I make sausage with ducks and geese...
Spicy and Sweet Duck L'Orange Sausage

Jimmy Dean maple sausage clone

I have also done a sage breakfast sausage and it is good too.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby migr82az » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:58 am

All of the above are looking dang good! Thanks for sharing!
migr82az
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking