Goose burgers

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Goose burgers

Postby beretta24 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Tried making goose burgers tonight, but they were just OK. Used a DU recipe with a egg, some pickle relish, diced tomatoes, onion, bacon, and bread crumbs. I couldn't get the meat to firm into decent patties. Any thoughts to firm them up based on the amounts below. The burgers also seemed a little rich.

2 breasts
.25 lb bacon
.5 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp relish
1 egg
1 sm yellow onion
1 cup diced tomatoes
beretta24
hunter

Re: Goose burgers

Postby gooshnr » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:20 am

For your recipe you could add some crushed Ritz crackers to help firm it up or add some more bread crumbs.
I mix in some beef fat or pork trimmings with the goose meat when I grind it. I usually mix 80/20 goose/beef fat. I'll use the ground meat for a variety of things. For burgers I found a locally made burger seasoning that I mix with it. Its similar to an onion soup mix.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby AkHuntress » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:37 am

SO you mean the patties are falling apart when you're making them? You could try a few things;

More fat in the recipe. Like 15-20%. Keep the burgers cold until you're ready to cook them. Be sure the grill is clean, and that it's already at the desired temp when you throw them on. Only flip them ONCE. Don't press them, and let them set for 10 minutes after you pull them off the grill.
AkHuntress
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:47 am

AkHuntress wrote:SO you mean the patties are falling apart when you're making them? You could try a few things;

More fat in the recipe. Like 15-20%. Keep the burgers cold until you're ready to cook them. Be sure the grill is clean, and that it's already at the desired temp when you throw them on. Only flip them ONCE. Don't press them, and let them set for 10 minutes after you pull them off the grill.

Barely stayed together making them, and were soft, almost gooshy when we ate them. I had some left overs meat so I tried cooking the snit out of it to make sure ours weren't just under cooked, and it was still a little gooshy, like it would smear apart as opposed to breaking apart to a certain extent.

I could try more fat next time. Grill was hot, clean and they only got flipped once.
beretta24
hunter

Postby hellfighter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:56 am

Add an egg or 2 to the mix and they should stay together fine
hellfighter
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:36 pm

Add some more fat to it (beef fat if you can get it), be sure to keep the meat very very cold when grinding. Use egg and bread crumb to form the patty then wrap them in clear wrap and chill in the fridge for a couple hours. Then set out a half hour before grilling and you should be good to go. I'd go for a hot and fast grill, sear the outside and leave the middle nice and medium rare. Hot as can be for the initial sear, that will help to keep them together.
BBK
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks for the thoughts...I must have been light on fat and egg for amount of goose meat. I used what the recipe called for but it was a big Canada.
beretta24
hunter

Postby boder » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:59 pm

You could also try using a coarser disc (one with bigger holes) when you are grinding your goose or duck.
boder
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:38 pm

hellfighter wrote:Add an egg or 2 to the mix and they should stay together fine

^^^this^^^^ and I always add bacon grease to goose burgers! :yes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:41 pm

beretta24 wrote:
AkHuntress wrote:SO you mean the patties are falling apart when you're making them? You could try a few things;

Barely stayed together making them, and were soft, almost gooshy when we ate them. I had some left overs meat so I tried cooking the snit out of it to make sure ours weren't just under cooked, and it was still a little gooshy, like it would smear apart as opposed to breaking apart to a certain extent.

I could try more fat next time. Grill was hot, clean and they only got flipped once.

cut the goose meat into chunks small enough to fit into your grinder, then freeze them for an hour or so... you want the grinder to grab the meat and push it through to get a clean cut on it, and firming it up in the freezer is how to do that. never grind unfrozen raw meat, it will mush and smear on you. :thumbsup:

OR, you can cut into 1/4" pieces by hand without freezing.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 pm

and FWIW, I never add raw bacon to goose burgers because I like to cook them to medium, that is why I use bacon fat from frying bacon. I use bread crumbs as well which holds the meat together and absorbs the juices and fat...makes for a really juice burger! You can also add a little Worcestershire sauce to the mixture.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:14 am

:thumbsup:
beretta24
hunter

Postby NyDuckMan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:35 pm

Unlike Indaswamp I only use raw bacon when grinding up my goose burgers, and maybe that's why I haven't ever had any issues with them not staying together. I use a 4:1 ratio of goose to bacon and after I form the patties sprinkle them with dried onion, pepper and sea salt. Even though Im a rare burger lover, cooking these burgers on med flame till they reach proper temperture has never produced a dry burger, they're always juicy and damn good. I prefer honey mustard for these instead of ketchup.
**2014 - 2015**
1 - Black Duck
3 - Wood Ducks
2 - Mallard
5 - Canada Goose
5 - Pheasants
1 - Crow
NyDuckMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:47 am

NyDuckMan wrote:Unlike Indaswamp I only use raw bacon when grinding up my goose burgers, and maybe that's why I haven't ever had any issues with them not staying together. I use a 4:1 ratio of goose to bacon and after I form the patties sprinkle them with dried onion, pepper and sea salt. Even though Im a rare burger lover, cooking these burgers on med flame till they reach proper temperture has never produced a dry burger, they're always juicy and damn good. I prefer honey mustard for these instead of ketchup.

Raw bacon is fine if plan on cooking the burgers to medium well, which will cook the bacon enough to kill anything that might be on it. But I like goose burgers medium and the internal temp for that is below the temp needed to kill germs in the bacon so that is why I use bacon fat. No problem with dry burgers either. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby walnuts4x4 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Gonna have to try some of these recipes....
walnuts4x4
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:29 am

1-2lbs ground goose with nothing else mixed in maybe deer cause a lot of times when running my grinder I just mix all the duck goose and deer meat I'm gonna grind. But no beef or pork fat added to it. Take 1-2 pounds of meat mix Italian bread crumbs with some of the powder onion soup mix and left over bacon grease preferably but if I don't have it crisco works too. Form my patties grill or cook on a good old cast iron skillet with sliced onions and butter. Top the burgers with the sauted onions and some cheese of choice I like swiss or mozzarella on them put on toasted bun of choice. Another way to do it rather than onion soup mix is mix garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in with the meat instead. They are good on the grill or cooked in the skillet with the onions and butter which ever you prefer. Don't over cook duck or goose ever it's best still a little pink in the middle.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking