Deep Fried Thansgiving Goose

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Deep Fried Thansgiving Goose

Postby ackbizzle » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:47 am

so i am having a big thanksgiving this year and was thinking why not deep fry a goose. fired a few turkeys but not sure if there are any diffrences between goose and turkey. any tips would be great and ofcourse winning brines and injections. thanks
ackbizzle
Newb

Re: Deep Fried Thansgiving Goose

Postby endofadirtroad » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:39 am

This sounds good, will be awaiting some helpful replies too
endofadirtroad
hunter

Re: Deep Fried Thansgiving Goose

Postby apexhunter » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:53 am

Brining is not a bad thing to do as the seasoning is absorbed throughout the meat. With frying (turkeys and whole chickens) the downfall I have experienced many times is that the water in the injection solution is immediately cooked out of the bird and it burns in the oil. This does nothing but cause the oil to turn black and adds very little if any flavor to the meat so I have ceased injecting anything I am frying.

One thing to be careful with a goose would be the lack of internal fat and the ease of drying the meat into leather should you cook it too long so a mid-cooking temperature check on the internal meat would definitely be in order. I've thought about doing a trash can duck or goose instead of turkey (google "trash can turkey" to see what I'm referring to if you aren't familiar with it) as it is a modified/intense version of oven roasting where injections and rubs stay in or on the bird. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking