Whole or Half Duck Recipes

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Whole or Half Duck Recipes

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:17 am

I have about 10-12 medium to large whole ducks ready to cook and I have some free time coming up for the next few weeks to do some cooking. I have done some searching on the site for whole or half duck recipes and I have not found a ton... most recipes are with just the breasts. What is everyone's favorite recipe for a whole duck or one halved?

I am planning on trying this one out with 4 medium sized ducks this weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bAqh2N1-oI (and the written out recipe: http://elkmtngear.com/blog/wild-duck-apple-stuffed-and-roasted.html).

I have heard of recipes where you half the duck, use a rub or BBQ sauce, and grill. Does anyone have any recipes along those lines?

Thanks!
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Re: Whole or Half Duck Recipes

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:27 am

This weekend I did the above recipe and I have to say it was really, really good. I would highly recommend it!

With the bacon I took off the top, I just popped it in the microwave for a few minutes to finish it off and then I ate it as part of the stuffing. I used Granny Smith apples and a sweet onion for the stuffing and those with the bacon flavor really put the taste over the top in my opinion. I am not sure if it was the oven bag (as the guy talked about in his video) or not, but the duck came out super tender and very juicy.

IMG_0334.PNG
IMG_0334.PNG (585.09 KiB) Viewed 2344 times

IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG (269.32 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:28 am

Oh, and again, anyone have any other whole or half duck recipes?

I think I am going to try halving the ducks, marinating them in BBQ sauce, and then grilling next. Anyone tried this?
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Soggy Socks » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:21 pm

I brine them 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup brown sugar and one cup kosher salt dissolve and brine 12 hours . Then grill to medium rare I like the skin crispy I don't put any BBQ sauce on them. If the skin is off use half the salt Good luck
Soggy Socks
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Soggy Socks wrote:I brine them 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup brown sugar and one cup kosher salt dissolve and brine 12 hours . Then grill to medium rare I like the skin crispy I don't put any BBQ sauce on them. If the skin is off use half the salt Good luck

Thanks, sounds good :thumbsup:
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Orange marmalade glazed grilled ducks
jamabalaya
gumbo
Smoked Duck and cauliflower soup
pot roasted with pino noir and black cherries

All of these are posted on the recipe forum just do a search for them :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking